Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:58 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
EV-Toad 2023

I am waiting for an EV that I can use as toad. I follow a lot of the articles about EV's and do not even see anything on the horizon. I hope I have missed something. Will have to wait until 2024?

Forgot to mention that I want 4 wheels down. No dollies please.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2022, 05:09 PM   #2

Generally speaking, spinning a motor also acts like a generator. So, what do you do with that current and is generating that current a drag on the tow vehicle such that is is a minus to consumers. It's complicated when you factor in cost to address that complication. Given that BEVs are fighting for a cost competitive advantage to highlight them from the general market, features such as this won't be addressed soon.

Getting a BEV, widely acceptable at a cost average consumers will buy in profitable numbers, means follow on features such as 4 wheel down towing is a ways a way I predict.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:13 PM   #3

The closest you’ll get is still a rear wheel drive EV on a dolly. Seeing that a bit more often lately. Always seems to be a Leaf.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #4

I’d say the closest you can get is a PHEV such as the ford Escape.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:38 PM   #5
PKI

Supposedly, the Rivian can be flat towed, but I heard there was a software glitch with early models. Research fully before you buy. It's expensive, but a very nice package.

We wanted same, but just punted and went with the Cherokee. It suits our purpose, got us into a better mileage range around town than our prior vehicle and moved us to regular gas.

We did test drive a PHEV. We liked it less than the Cherokee. Maybe the electric market is just something we are not ready to tackle.

Hope you find a solution that works for your RV lifestyle.

Maybe??? https://motorandwheels.com/affordabl...-can-flat-tow/
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Best of luck finding a fully electric to flat tow. Initially Rivian stated the R1S and R1T were flat towable. If you watch the Ewan Macgregor Long Way Up motorcycle show you’ll see the pre-production Rivians being towed to charge them. Unfortunately, Rivian changed their position and, unless something has change again, they not take the position they are not flat towable.

The best options so far seem to be the PHEV Escape and the hybrid Maverick.

The article in a prior post in this thread seems to contain information that is contradictory to the actual owners manuals. For instance, the 2023 Kona EV manual explicitly says not to tow it with the front wheels on the ground, unless it’s and emergency and you’re towing it less that 1.5 kms and under 15km per hour.

Best advice is to have a look at the individual owners manuals - which I gotta say does not look encouraging so far.

If you do find one, please post it here! I think a lot of folks would be interested - me included!
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:11 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee325 View Post
Generally speaking, spinning a motor also acts like a generator. So, what do you do with that current and is generating that current a drag on the tow vehicle such that is is a minus to consumers. It's complicated when you factor in cost to address that complication. Given that BEVs are fighting for a cost competitive advantage to highlight them from the general market, features such as this won't be addressed soon.

Getting a BEV, widely acceptable at a cost average consumers will buy in profitable numbers, means follow on features such as 4 wheel down towing is a ways a way I predict.
Not quite correct. Yes, a spinning motor can act as a generator and may generate a voltage. However, if no circuit is completed, no current will flow. All EVs and HEVs have inverter fed motors. Unless the inverter is on and controlled to pass the power from motor to the hv bus (like it is during regenerative braking) no drag will result from the motor being turned by the wheels, aside from friction and windage.

That said, I would not flat tow an EV unless the OEM says it is ok.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:33 PM   #8

I have been told several times by company representatives that the Fisker Ocean EV will be able to be flat towed. We shall see.
gandl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:23 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
I too read somewhere regarding the R1T and R1S being able to be flat towed. I contacted Rivian and they told me via email that their vehicles are NOT able to be towed 4 down. Guess I'll be keeping the Jeep for now
JaytheDJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad