Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Even Brake Roadmaster for toad

I bought a Even Brake roadmaster brake system for my tow vehicle (2003 Jeep Liberty Auto 4X4) I hope I bought the right one for my vehicle. It is used but still in working order. Does anyone have the experience of setting up one in for their motorhome or do I have to have a person who does this set it up?. I have a Georgia Boy Landau 34.5 ft with workhouse chassis. I have looked at new ones and I did well on the price this is a very high dollar item.

Thanks
Ray
rgriffin46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #2

Did you get all of the accessories? Besides the brake unit that goes on the floor of the vehicle there should be a ICX Transmitter that mounts under the dash and wires into the brake light circuit. The ICX Transmitter sends a signal to the MH Monitor that displays the status of the Even Brake. There should also be a emergency disconnect switch and wires that mounts at the front of the toad in case of a vehicle seperation. If you have all of these, installation is not difficult. You can get the installation instructions on the Roadmaster Web site.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If you have all the parts they are pretty easy to wire in, more time consuming than it is hard. You can go to the Roadmaster web site to get a copy of the user/installation manual.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks

Thanks for the info. The unit I do not think has the breakaway but I think I can buy it directely from Roadmaster for a second car. How does the brake in the car talk to the MH? Does anything have to be wired into the MH? This unit is on the way and that is just a question I have.

Thanks in advance for your input.
rgriffin46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The ICX transmitter mounts in the car, connects to the brake and has an antenna that transmits signals to the monitor unit mounted in the motorhome. There is no electrical connections between the motorhome and toad
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #6

The ICX Transmitter is wired into the toad brake light circuit and connects to the Even Brake unit via a cable. When the Even Brake is activated the ICX transmitter sends a signal to the Monitor in the motorhome via a wireless signal. The only electrical connection inside the motorhome is the monitor power, which is from a 12VDC/cigarette lighter style plug.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF that is one of the "Box" systems you install in the towed every time you tow and remove every time you park there is nothing to set up motorhome wise save perhaps a remote control unit, it's a radio unit so all you do is plug it in and find a place to "park" it near the driver.

I do not like these systems, Though they are good if you change tows often.. The fact is you have to install them in the towed EVERY TIME you tow, and it's way too easy to say "Forget it" if you are making a short tow and regreat that decision later.

Tags
brake, toad