Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2022, 07:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
EZE Tow Dolly Review

Hi folks!

Figured I'd put some thoughts don on the EZE Tow Dolly if anyone is thinking about it. I scored a used version through FB Marketplace a few weeks back for $550, which is a steal. Going in, the wiring was junked out and needed redone, but it came with a spare, two sets of straps, the safety chains, and a nice tote to hold it all in. Tires look to be original, but still had the the little rubbers on them on the sides, so it hasn't been run too may miles. The ramps are in good shape and the brake pads seem to be fairly full as well. I got it re-wired and checked tire pressures for a shakedown trip this past weekend.

Dolly is rock solid behind the coach and doesn't move around with the car on it, even over bridge transitions and potholes (which there are many). We traveled down I-75 from Cincinnati to Knoxville, and then out 40 to Cookeville, TN. Brakes seem to work, but didn't get hot anywhere in the trip. Pro's and Con's:

Pro's:

1. If you have a low profile car, this is the tow dolly for you. We pulled a 2021 Nissan Sentra, which has less than 4" of ground clearance. This car would never fit on any of the other dolly's out there and u-haul won't even rent you one of theirs for this car. It's just too low.

2. The ramp storage is very convenient, though I did end up putting them in the trunk of the car because there's not much clearance. After towing with it though, I'll put them where they go because the clearance to the dolly itself is the same and I didn't end up with any marks from the car bouncing and hitting the dolly frame.

3. Tie downs are pretty easily operated with a ratchet and socket. The tie downs are "mobile" in that they slide in a track so if you're off center just a bit, you can still line everything up nicely so you don't rub the straps on the sides.

4. Ramps are super solid and easily deployed to one of the multiple locations for your specific tire width/spacing. Super easy. They do rock a bit when you drive up on them if the ground is not completely level, but the curved hook at the end keeps it from popping off.

5. Super stable going down the road. I had no sway or bouncing at any speed up to 70mph and on some pretty nasty torn up highway. 75 south from Jellico to Knoxville is a mess right now. Has been for a while.

Con's:

1. The straps came loose. Not loose, the car shifted backwards an inch or two, which means in a braking event, it's likely that the tires shifted forward to the stop/frame. I don't think is is necessarily a problem with the dolly itself, but possibly with the straps being too big for my application. I'm not sure at this point. This could be due to my inexperience with a tow dolly, so may not be a problem with the product at all. Something to be aware of.

2. The bearings are sealed. I had a conversation with the president of the company before purchasing this dolly and he assured me that the car would fit (and he was correct). He did note that the new hubs are serviceable on the latest version. I took that to mean at the time that they were more "off the shelf" hubs like you can buy at tractor supply or any other place that sells hubs and backing plates. What I think he meant is that they are able to be serviced (greased). The hubs I have do not seem to be able to be greased from the outside in any way. At some point, I'll pull a wheel and brake and see if I can get in there to service the bearings, as I'm certain it about has to have some. Many may not think this is a con, but I like to be able to get my hands and eyes on moving parts like this BEFORE I have a problem.

I think that's about it for the cons. Really only one as the straps were likely my fault. I'll take a look at the other set I have and see if they are smaller, measure the tires and maybe get a different set to try. The ratchet for the strap has the bolt head on the inside of the dolly. Having it on the outside would make life a bit easier, so I may turn them around. I'll look at the manual first to see if they're supposed to be that way and go from there.

Anyway, if you need a tow dolly, and you have a steering wheel that stay unlocked, this is the one for you!
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2022, 01:47 PM   #2

Thanks for taking the time to post! I'm researching dollys and your review was helpful.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:12 PM   #3

For me, the upright storage, and it being light enough to wrestle around were big positives. Had a brake stick, and the Kia pads worked as replacements as advertised. I did away with the safety chains and used safety cables looped through the wheels. Was much faster and cleaner.

Straps. They need to be checked after a couple of left and right turns. Not too tight as there is some movement needed. The best I can explain is like wheel bearings. Tight, then back off a click or two. Once you get familiar, you will find the right tension.

Had a strap break once. The cable did the job well. Saw the flapping strap in the rear camera.

Personally, our two towed are now both flat towed, but the dolly was not much more trouble if one is able to move it around with one or two people.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrand22 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post! I'm researching dollys and your review was helpful.
Glad to have helped a bit! I do like the dolly very much and even if I don't end up using it all the time, I'll keep it. Certainly got a good enough deal on it to leave it sit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do26 View Post
For me, the upright storage, and it being light enough to wrestle around were big positives. Had a brake stick, and the Kia pads worked as replacements as advertised. I did away with the safety chains and used safety cables looped through the wheels. Was much faster and cleaner.

Straps. They need to be checked after a couple of left and right turns. Not too tight as there is some movement needed. The best I can explain is like wheel bearings. Tight, then back off a click or two. Once you get familiar, you will find the right tension.

Had a strap break once. The cable did the job well. Saw the flapping strap in the rear camera.

Personally, our two towed are now both flat towed, but the dolly was not much more trouble if one is able to move it around with one or two people.
Interesting keeping the straps a bit loose. Given the low nature of the car I'm towing, I really wouldn't want it shifting back and forth at all. Last trip I cranked them down quite a bit and did a better job getting the car more center
(within 1/2" I'd say) and they stayed tight for way longer.

I'll take a good look at getting some cables for the wheels as security. Would be WAY easier to secure than the chains. Though, I do still have to get down on the ground and make sure the straps are positioned correctly on the tires as I have very little clearance between the tire and the strut and ABS wiring.

Of note, last time I towed the 2021 Sentra, the first time I started it, the entire ABS/cruise control/lane assist system was disabled and the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree. Got it off the dolly, checked all the wiring I could see with no breaks or chafing. Parked it for a while and next time I got in, about half of the system was back up. Drove a few miles, and it all came back. Weird.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:37 AM   #5

I am not saying loose straps, just don’t expect to be so rife as to prevent all back and forth. Watch their videos. When turning, one dove will move forward an inch or so, the other back.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:40 AM   #6

Thanks for the additional info…truly appreciate it!
Old 06-11-2022, 05:02 AM   #7

If you study cars steering, you will see that the inner wheel will turn sharper then the outer wheel in a corner, because it follows a shorter track.
The inner wheel will also move back while the outer tire will move forward under the fenders.

Because of this action, the tires must be able to move under the straps of a fixed tire tray dolly, like the EZE Tow, the only tow dolly built that way.

Strap placement and tension are important when using this type of dolly.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do26 View Post
I did away with the safety chains and used safety cables looped through the wheels. Was much faster and cleaner.
I’m looking for pictures or links for this cable thru wheel safety connection with this dolly. I’ve seen mention of it a few places, and I’m trying to decide whether it might work for my application.
ChesterRVs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:38 PM   #9

On my KarKaddy I tighten the straps to very tight, drive a few miles, then re-tighten. They're usually loose as they stretch upon first use after sitting a while. KK does have a steerable axle, thus floating tire pans; different from yours.

I'd check with the manufacturer for the correct strap length for your tire size. They should be able to tell you or perhaps the web site or owner's manual has a chart.
Firedog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog53 View Post
On my KarKaddy I tighten the straps to very tight, drive a few miles, then re-tighten. They're usually loose as they stretch upon first use after sitting a while. KK does have a steerable axle, thus floating tire pans; different from yours.

I'd check with the manufacturer for the correct strap length for your tire size. They should be able to tell you or perhaps the web site or owner's manual has a chart.
Thanks, but I’m asking about the safety cable thru the wheel setup as a replacement for the chains. I use the chains in addition to the straps on the tires (as a backup). If I can make or buy some cables that pass thru the wheels as a backup instead, that might make things even easier. I want to see some ideas though if ppl have any pics of this setup.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:07 AM   #11

Here is what I did to my dolly with coated cables.

I use a 12 inch long metal rod with a hook on the end to run thru the wheel to pull the cable from the inside to the outside.

The inner end is quick linked to the swivel pan.Click image for larger version

Name:	20230412_085656.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	390170Click image for larger version

Name:	20230412_085706.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	390171
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:00 PM   #12

Very nice! I see it better now. I’ll have to measure and see whether I can do something similar. Tires shift some due to how the Eze-tow dolly works, so I may need to figure out a way to release these even under slight tension. Or get them long enough to permit movement, but not so long the car can come off if the primary strap comes loose.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:17 PM   #13

I also have an EZE tow dolly but am now questioning how robust its tires are. Last week I was going down the Interstate at around 63 MPH with the tires inflated to 80 PSI cold and according to my TPMS system were running at around 87 PSI at highway speed. The tires were only two years old and had plenty of tread left on them. Suddenly my TPMS showed zero tire pressure and I immediately pulled over to see that the passenger side tire had completely blown and I was riding on the rim. The disintegrating tire totally destroyed the dolly fender. I feel fortunate that I had the TPMS system but wonder what could have happened. With such small tires I now have no confidence in them.
VillageNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:30 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageNomad View Post
I also have an EZE tow dolly but am now questioning how robust its tires are. Last week I was going down the Interstate at around 63 MPH with the tires inflated to 80 PSI cold and according to my TPMS system were running at around 87 PSI at highway speed. The tires were only two years old and had plenty of tread left on them. Suddenly my TPMS showed zero tire pressure and I immediately pulled over to see that the passenger side tire had completely blown and I was riding on the rim. The disintegrating tire totally destroyed the dolly fender. I feel fortunate that I had the TPMS system but wonder what could have happened. With such small tires I now have no confidence in them.
Yes, these tires are very small, but I haven't had any issues with them. I run mine at 90psi, which is the max pressure on the sidewall. I think there might be some confusion with the manual (from recollection) as I think it states 75psi. In any case, crank them up to 90. Mine will run up to 110 while on a long tow for sure. I can't remember for the life of me where I got them. Probably either etrailer or Amazon. They aren't cheap.

This last trip I just got back from I had a leak on one which turned out to be the rubber gasket for the valve stem. I purchased metal valve stems because of the TPMS on the end thinking they'd be better, but the the rubber gasket split and leaked. Spare got me home, but I'll be hunting better valve stems in the near future.

Tags
tow, view, dolly