Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #1

Falcon 2 theft prevention

I have a Class A motorhome and pull a small pickup using a Falcon 2 tow system. I pad lock the truck-side to the truck, but the RV-side is only attached by the supplied hitch pin and clip. I also have a hitch pin which locks at the end, but am somewhat reluctant to use it for fear the locking mechanism might fail (due to my install) and then the hitch pin would not be secured to the RV. So, two questions: Does anyone have a work-around for my concerns, and has anyone ever had an issue with the theft of the RV side of a tow package? Of course, my significant other says to just live with it, but now I just want to know what everyone else does. Thanks.
Tench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've never had a theft concern with my towbar (17 years now), but some areas are more risky than others. It's more likely to be stolen from a storage lot than a campground, for example, but mine is kept at home when not in use.

I'm not clear on why you think the lock might fail in some way that jeopardizes the hitch pin. The standard pin could be damaged or vandalized too, probably more easily than the lock.

You could always have the receiver and tow bar drilled for a second pin if you are that worried.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #3

I purchased a pair of Roadmaster locking pins for the RV side and for the high/low extension. Never gave failure of the locking mechanism a thought. My tow setup is completely Roadmaster except for the hitches points welded onto the LoD bumper on my Wrangler.

Buy quality gear, put it together properly, check it at every stop and drive on.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have receiver pins that are drilled a little larger and put a pad lock on them instead of the hair pin clip.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Recently there was a post of the toad (jeep) catching fire and eventually catching the coach on fire due to the fact that the tow bar had locks on it. The owner stated that if he had just the clip-pins, he could have easily remove the tow bar from the jeep and drive the mh forward to a safe distance.

His problem was that the keys to the tow bar was on his ignition switch keys and in his haste to get back to the toad to remove it, he forgot the keys in the ignition. By the time he ran back and got the keys, the fire had already spread to the back of the coach. I'm not sure that even he had the keys in hand, fumbling around trying to find the correct key may also have been a time problem.

It was a total loss of both toad and coach.

I'm not advocating locks or pins.... just repeating what happened to someone else.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Locking pins here on tow bar and drop adapter. No locks on the toad side. I have no concern about the locking pins.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Recently there was a post of the toad (jeep) catching fire and eventually catching the coach on fire due to the fact that the tow bar had locks on it. The owner stated that if he had just the clip-pins, he could have easily remove the tow bar from the jeep and drive the mh forward to a safe distance.
Did they figure out what caused the fire?
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
Did they figure out what caused the fire?

I don't know... haven't heard any more about it.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent