Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am looking for a short flat bed type of trailer that would lower the bed onto the ground, one could drive the car onto it, and then would rise up (via jack screw or hydraulics or ????) into a towing position. Has anyone seen anything like that?
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am looking for a short flat bed type of trailer that would lower the bed onto the ground, one could drive the car onto it, and then would rise up (via jack screw or hydraulics or ????) into a towing position. Has anyone seen anything like that?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #3

Yes, the company I work for leases about 30 of them, there a smaller model than what you would haul a car on, but larger versions are available. We use them to haul scisscor lifts on. We lease them from United Rentals and are Electric/hydraulic with a built in battery to power the hydraulic pump. United could probally lease or sell them to you or give you the manufactures phone number.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback Hillbilly2. I looked at United Rentals and found this one
If that is what you were referring to, I mis-led you. I am interested in one where the entire bed lowers to the ground, staying parallel with the ground as apposed to having ramps and/or tilting.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #5

No, thats not the one, they may special order them for us, as we are a very large account. The name brand on ours is "Power Deck" Try a company called "HYTOPZ" I think they have what you need. Look for JLG power deck trailers.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you very much, that is what I had in mind. I found that Sam's Club sells these; (JLG Triple-L trailers)

Old 04-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #7

Looking at that trailer I would be very surprised if you could tow it with a car on it and still be within your GCWR allowance... either that or looks are very deceiving... that trailer must weigh a ton (or 2). At best case a gas coach will only tow 5 - 6k.

just my $0.02
Old 04-12-2008, 08:14 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, you may be right, but at over $8,000 it wasn't an issue (my considerations pretty much ended there). I am resigned to towing my old Chevy S10 pickup truck and have given up on the idea of towing my MCS (at least until all the warranties run out).
Old 04-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #9

MCS - Mini Cooper S??

We have a Cooper (2007) and we have decided not to tow it 4 down (bought it with a stick purposely so that I could tow it), I do not want to deal with anything close to a 10" drop for the ball. I am looking at aluminum trailers made to carry trikes, still working on collecting information, but aluma make a model MC210 rated for a 3000# load and numerous flat trailers in the 12 - 14 foot range that will carry the MINI. Still some discussions on whether we want to take the Wing also which would mean a bigger trailer. When I get the info I'll post it here...

Question, did you consider a tow dolly and if so, why did you rule it out?? just curious..
Old 04-13-2008, 05:46 AM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi js9315,

Yes, MCS was meant to mean Mini Cooper S.

I did not consider a tow dolly, for the same reason as towing it all four down (I want to keep to warranties in tact).

I considered other flat beds until I figured out how long the ramps would have to be. Because of how low the ground clearance is on the MCS, the ramps would have to be very long and very stout (heavy). The same low clearance becomes an issue when considering flat beds that tilt, (the trailer becomes longer than I want to deal with).

I could not find a light weight aluminum flat bed that lowered to the ground like that JLG trailer.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #11

Don't know why a tow dolly would void any warranties, we still have that as an option if we decide we want to take both the Wing and the MINI, Race City Products makes a nice tow dolly that will carry the bike and still tow the car. They are local to us, just need to find the time to get over there. We are leaning toward a trailer as I believe that the car will be better protected from rocks and flying debris on a trailer.

Not too long ago I ran across an aluminum trailer in the 14' range that the wheels moved forward to load the car on the trailer. At the time we had a BMW 325 that we were considering carrying and it has much less ground clearance than the MINI (it scraped going in and out of the driveway!). We traded it for the MINI just before Christmas and I have lost the link to that trailer. When you got ready to load or unload, the wheels were moved forward under the deck allowing the deck to tilt to the ground. The wheels continued to move forward until the front of the deck was at the axle, effectively giving you a 12' ramp. It was made specifically for cars such as the BMW with low ground clearances. Like I said, I have lost the link, but will find it again and pass it along.

Happy Motoring!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi js...

I don't know either (why using a tow dolly voids the warranties). Generally when talking with people regarding issues they didn't actually come up with on their own I refrain from asking them to get creative with an answer. Maybe a few soles actually know the answer, but I'm a terrible judge of character and can't tell those that do from those that don't. ( )...

The 14' trailer you mentioned sounds very interesting and I'd certainly like to check it out. Please send me the link should you find it.

I didn't think there was many modern cars (street legal anyway) that have less ground clearance than a Mini Cooper. I had a 1958 Austin Healey 100-6 some years back and remember that had low clearance too. I had to avoid anything bigger than a crushed up Marlboro cigarette pack.

Have you taken your MC onto any tracks yet? I've yet to do that, but hope to this summer. I had a day booked at Infinion Raceway in Sonoma, CA last year but it did not work out.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:58 AM   #13

I have a 2000 Corvette and we load it onto an 18' Parker Performance trailer. The trailer has a two foot dovetail (angled drop) on the rear. I'm not sure of the Mini's ground clearance, but the Vette is about 8 in high at the rocker panels and when you drive up the ramps, the front airdam and the tailpipes need to be considered. Indeed, we have to use 2 x 12's to extend the ramps, but the Vette drives up and onto the trailer without scraping the undercarriage or the tailpipes. Additinally, the fenders of the trailer are 8 inches high. I have to lift the door slightly when getting in and out of the Vette once its on the trailer in order to clear the fender. There are some trailers where the fender is on hingers, but I couldn't find one in my price range. Sorry, I don't have any pictures right now.
Rhoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ceratto's Grotto:
...I considered other flat beds until I figured out how long the ramps would have to be. Because of how low the ground clearance is on the MCS, the ramps would have to be very long and very stout (heavy) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out www.trailex.com They have alum trailer designed for cars with low ground clearance. Unless you've done some subtantial mods, I doubt that your MCS is lower than my vette, which has a longer overhang on both ends and which I lowered from stock.