Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #1

Favorite TOAD brake system

In my search for another supplemental brake system for pulling my little Subaru, I have found a few used brake systems on Craigs list such as;

Air Force One (older unit)
Blue Ox Patriot
Brake Buddy
Brake Buddy Vantage
Rvi Brake 2

I have used the original Rvi brake system in the past, and it worked pretty well, except that I had to watch the car battery to make sure it did not go dead. So before I buy another one, which one do you prefer and why?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To be honest, you will probably get a review of what owners have since many (most?) haven't had multiple systems.

With a DP I prefer my AF One because it uses proportional braking. It is also no muss, no fuss once it is installed. Nothing to put in or take out. It doesn't use any power except to activate the system if it detects a break away switch being pulled.

I would say that the M&G system would be a similar performance package. I see it isn't on your list.

Speaking of (craigs)list. Specifically regarding the AF One. Depending on the age of the "old" model you have a couple issues to look into.

First, the newer models included an external check valve on one of the hoses instead if it being internal. MUCHO BETTER. This be part of the reason the control module is smaller. However, if you get an older one with the internal check valve you can get a check valve to put on externally "just in case" the internal one fails. I highly recommend that.

Second, on the older ones the end of the actuator valve where the brake cable exits it was a sharp edge that can easily cause the cable to break after rubbing unless you are PERFECTLY aligned with the firewall anchor point. The newer actuators have rounded the edge and also a better cable.

I understand about trying to save a few bucks but IMHO, I wouldn't go cheap. Consider new. You get warranty and tech support.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
We use the M&G system. Simple - only have to hook up an air line. One of the reasons we went with this system was we are located just down the road from their shop in Athens, Texas.
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have used ReadyBrake for over 10 years on multiple vehicles. I would not consider changing to anything else.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #5

Yep,
Since you own a D/P, I'd HIGHLY suggest the M&G system. For at least two, if not more reasons.

1. There is absolutely NOTHING inside the cab of your toad, no robots to hook onto the brake pedal, no cables, no arms, no electrical hookups, NOTHING!

2. Since it is coupled IN BETWEEN the power brake booster and the master cylinder, there is ZERO actuation of your brake pedal, PERIOD! And that means, there is ZERO activation of your brake lights on the toad, from it's own brake switch, which, can interfere with some toad lighting, depending on how it's wired.

3. It's not triggered by any electrical signal that may be used by other forms of supplemental braking systems so, there is absolutely ZERO draw down of the toad battery, just in case some have to be attached to the toads electrical system to work.

4. Because it's not a surge type system, there is no activation of the toads brakes during long down hill grades, even with the exhaust brake or Jake brake being applied for extended periods.

Without a doubt, one of or, to us, THE BEST auxiliary braking systems if, IF, YOU HAVE A D/P and, they (the company) has one that's made for your particular toad.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #6

I have never heard of the M and G system. I will take a look at it.
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Yep,
Since you own a D/P, I'd HIGHLY suggest the M&G system. For at least two, if not more reasons.

1. There is absolutely NOTHING inside the cab of your toad, no robots to hook onto the brake pedal, no cables, no arms, no electrical hookups, NOTHING!

2. Since it is coupled IN BETWEEN the power brake booster and the master cylinder, there is ZERO actuation of your brake pedal, PERIOD! And that means, there is ZERO activation of your brake lights on the toad, from it's own brake switch, which, can interfere with some toad lighting, depending on how it's wired.

3. It's not triggered by any electrical signal that may be used by other forms of supplemental braking systems so, there is absolutely ZERO draw down of the toad battery, just in case some have to be attached to the toads electrical system to work.

4. Because it's not a surge type system, there is no activation of the toads brakes during long down hill grades, even with the exhaust brake or Jake brake being applied for extended periods.

Without a doubt, one of or, to us, THE BEST auxiliary braking systems if, IF, YOU HAVE A D/P and, they (the company) has one that's made for your particular toad.
Scott
What he said!
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My Air Force One system has worked flawlessly for over 6 years now. Just hook up the air line and go. Well worth the money and no contraption on the drivers floor to hookup. Love it.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #9

Another one for m&g brake
Old 07-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
I have never heard of the M and G system. I will take a look at it.
https://m-gengineering.com/

Love mine!
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Invisibrake...
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Had a BB Classic but Hopkins offered a great deal on trade for the Vantage select. Love it. Easy setup. Can select sensitivity and braking modes remotely from the Motor Home.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed this (older version) to keep my toad battery charged

https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-...YaAtWvEALw_wcB
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner