Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Finally towing our Crosstrek

We returned to Independence RV for some warranty work, recalls and the tow setup and they performed the install, Blue Ox tow bar and base plate, and an Air Force One braking system. I'll tell you about the problems, only because I want to emphasize that they did it right.

When we picked up the rig and car, they took the time to go through everything with us, explaining the installation and how the systems worked. We hooked up, checked everything, and hit the road. When we arrived at our next site (in the dark), after unhooking we discovered that the rear running lights weren't working. After some back and forth, and working with the local Subaru dealer (Troncalli Subaru in Cumming GA, really great service dept, highly recommend them), it turned out that a slip with a cutting wheel had cut into the car's wiring harness, which caused the lighting problem. Actually it was good to discover it this way, and take care of the problem the right way.

Troncalli's service manager was actually quick to praise Independence and the work they did. In his words, "they did it the right way" by installing a separate harness and NOT tapping into the car's harness. There was no way there could have been a problem, except for the slip with the cutting wheel. To Independence's credit, they recognized the problem right away and took care of it 100%. Troncalli installed a new wiring harness and got everything back in top shape.

We've towed the car now for about 800 miles and it's absolutely fantastic. I can't describe just how nice it is to have Peggy in the coach with me, riding together, instead of driving behind and chatting on the phone. The Blue Ox tow bar setup is really easy to handle and the Air Force One system works beautifully. Independence installed an LED brake light on the rear view mirror that I can see in the coach's rear camera, so it's easy to know the car's brakes are activated.

Mistakes happen, and I always appreciate it when they are recognized and fixed like they should be. Very happy with the outcome, even if it did take a bit longer than we hoped.

marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #2

Glad your problem was fixed. I love our Air Force One.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #3

I like the crosstrek, what has to be done to it for flat towing?
bamarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamarider View Post
I like the crosstrek, what has to be done to it for flat towing?
Well it has to be a manual transmission because Subaru automatics are not towable, at least not without significant modification. Then we just ordered the base plate and tow bar setup from Blue Ox and the full Air Force One braking system from SMI. Independence handled it all from there, and they did do a very nice job. They took a bunch of pics too because it was the first time they have done a Subaru, and wanted to keep the info on file.

But once everything is hooked up, we just turn the ignition to the first ACC position, handbrake off, transmission in neutral and away we go. Really easy, and the coach pulls it like it was nothing.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #5

Always nice to hear about "good" experiences.
One has to ask about this though. The final check out did not include checking the car unhooked?
A base plate is a major undertaking and any number of things could go wrong.
I've always heard good things about Independence and don't want to rip them. This is more a general comment about rv techs/service departments. What if it were a brake line??? I think I just have higher and probably unrealistic expectations of almost any rv tech working on my vehicles. So many bad experiences I've conceded to doing the work myself.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #6

The manual tranny might be a deal breaker for me unless it was just used as a toad for the mh. I have a jeep gc now, so just have to put the tcase in netural.
bamarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We did check the car out unhooked, but we missed checking the taillights when the headlights were on. Amazingly everything else worked just fine. I can only plead a need to get on the road quickly because we had a 450 mile drive ahead of us and absolutely had to be there that evening - family matters. It actually worked out well because the car towed great, other than the cut Independence's work was top-notch, the problem was properly resolved by a Subaru dealer, and we made it in time. Lucky I know, but it's all good in the end and I will continue to recommend Independence to anyone.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:49 AM   #8

Yup, we also had good service and I am a real Independence RV fan club member. I certainly wish there were more dealers who followed this business model. Glad you are enjoying your set up.
Tom

Tags
tow, towing