Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #1

First oil/filter change on 2017 Wrangler Sahara

Getting ready to do the first oil/filter change on my new 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 3.6 engine.

The new filter element, filter type, and location are all new to me considering what I've done for the last 60 years or so, and wondering if there are any tricks, traps, or otherwise "be very careful" situations I need to know about before screwing something up real bad.

Also, my manual says to use 5W-20 weight oil, which I've never used that light an oil before. Even my Chevrolet PU says to use 5W-30 oil but since I've always used 10W-30 oil in all my vehicles that's what I've used in my 2006 PU for the last 9 years with no problems.

What weight oil do most of you Wrangler owners use in your late model Jeeps? Seems I've read before that auto manufacturers recommend the extreme light weight oil to improve their recorded average fuel mileage more so than for engine life.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Use what your manual says.

What I have found is that I can have the oil/filter change done at the stealer ship for a few dollars more than if I did it myself and I don't have to find a place to get rid of the old oil. Might want to check your stealership for special deals. I think all Jeep stealerships have special deals.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Getting ready to do the first oil/filter change on my new 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 3.6 engine.

The new filter element, filter type, and location are all new to me considering what I've done for the last 60 years or so, and wondering if there are any tricks, traps, or otherwise "be very careful" situations I need to know about before screwing something up real bad.

Also, my manual says to use 5W-20 weight oil, which I've never used that light an oil before. Even my Chevrolet PU says to use 5W-30 oil but since I've always used 10W-30 oil in all my vehicles that's what I've used in my 2006 PU for the last 9 years with no problems.

What weight oil do most of you Wrangler owners use in your late model Jeeps? Seems I've read before that auto manufacturers recommend the extreme light weight oil to improve their recorded average fuel mileage more so than for engine life.
Well Sir,
I too have done my own oil changes and work for decades and decades. But, with this '15 Jeep JKUR, I decided to head on down to the dealer to have it done just for the heck of it. I think the complete change was about $35.99 or so. For that kind of money, and I just relax and eat THEIR donuts and drink their coffee while it's being done, WHY NOT??
And, like the other poster stated, use what they say in the manual. These engines are pretty well engineered so, if they require a certain weight oil or, multi-viscosity weight oil, I'm going with what they recommend.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:43 PM   #4

I have a 2016 unlimited. It came with 4 free oil changes and tire rotation, 2 per year. Its called the jeep wave program. If you got your jeep from the dealer new you may have that also.

Ill probably change the oil myself after the free changes are done. Ill use whatever grade oil the manual states

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #5

From some of the characters I've seen in other dealerships that are assigned the lowly job of doing the oil changes I'm a little hesitant to trust that an oil change will be done correctly. I've read of other vehicle owners finding out later that their drain plug was cross-threaded while re-installing it after the drain, or the plug is left loose as my brother found out when he got back home after an oil change and noticed oil dripping on his driveway. I've been driving and changing my own oil since 1951 so it's just a little hard to sit and let someone else do the job.

As far as I can remember, I was promised only an initial first oil change free and it's not so much the money savings as it is knowing the job was done as expected.

Appreciate all the responses, especially on the weight of oil to use. Just seemed like with the strain and work a Jeep engine gets put through, especially on off-road trails like in Moab, NM, a little heavier oil would stand up better. But I guess if things blow up during the first 3 years at least it's covered under warranty.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Use what your manual says.

What I have found is that I can have the oil/filter change done at the stealer ship for a few dollars more than if I did it myself and I don't have to find a place to get rid of the old oil. Might want to check your stealership for special deals. I think all Jeep stealerships have special deals.
Love your spelling. But so true.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
From some of the characters I've seen in other dealerships that are assigned the lowly job of doing the oil changes I'm a little hesitant to trust that an oil change will be done correctly. I've read of other vehicle owners finding out later that their drain plug was cross-threaded while re-installing it after the drain, or the plug is left loose as my brother found out when he got back home after an oil change and noticed oil dripping on his driveway. I've been driving and changing my own oil since 1951 so it's just a little hard to sit and let someone else do the job.

As far as I can remember, I was promised only an initial first oil change free and it's not so much the money savings as it is knowing the job was done as expected.

Appreciate all the responses, especially on the weight of oil to use. Just seemed like with the strain and work a Jeep engine gets put through, especially on off-road trails like in Moab, NM, a little heavier oil would stand up better. But I guess if things blow up during the first 3 years at least it's covered under warranty.
Yeah
I hear ya on the doing things yourself for a few decades. Me too. It was kind-a tough letting my local Jeep dealership do a simple oil change when I've done all of mine for eons of time. But, two things. One, By letting them do it, I was getting it logged into their system that it WAS DONE so, if and when any particular issue with that engine should arise, THEY have proof the oil was changed at their required interval and, with the correct oil and filter, done by THEIR personnel.

Second, here in our little town of Lake Havasu City AZ, it's getting harder and harder for non business owner (as in regular resident) to discard engine oil. It now costs me $5.00 to get rid of my oil, from any oil change, beit the Jeep, the truck, the Honda Goldwing, or, the motor home (20 quarts). I will more than likely still do the motor home and pay the $5 to get rid of the old stuff.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #8

Golly, I can't imagine having to pay to give someone your old oil so they can sell it to a processor. Kind of like when we have to pay to get into an RV show so that we can pay someone to drive off in a new RV. In our little town of about 25,000 Wal Mart super center takes the old oil (maybe hoping we buy our new oil there) as does Auto Zone and O'Reilleys Auto Parts.

Having trouble getting rid of the old oil would be a considering factor whether or not to do the job personally.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:49 PM   #9

I have a 17 JKU.
The oil and yadda-yadda service is about 40 bucks. But as previously posted, I have 4 free ones coming!
The dealer has done the service on my 12 JK and will now do the 17.
5 years, never a problem. And I won't DIY for 40 bucks! [emoji11]
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:50 AM   #10

Best advice would be at...

The Wrangler Forum.

I am always amazed at how lazy people can be, and their endless reasonings for paying someone to do simple tasks. The oil filter is in an ideal location, and is just a replaceable element in a plastic housing. NOTE - plastic housing*. The one issue that they have noticed with the filter location and type on the Pentastar engines is that the cover can be overtightened very easily. Make sure that you use the new O-ring with the filter, and that you lubricate it and the threads to the oil filter cover. There are two filter styles out there - so make sure that they have provided you with the updated one for your newer vehicle. Lots of pictures over on the Wranglerforum.

While under the Jeep draining your oil (no ramps required!) check all of your front end components for tightness and signs of leakage or wear. As new as your vehicle is, I wouldn't expect to find any problems, but being familiar with what those components are supposed to look like will pay off later - especially if you do any "wheeling". As a TOAD for your motor home, make sure that you log all of the towed miles and keep track of that for your differential oil changes.

We have several Chrysler vehicles. Two of them have the Lifetime Added Care Plus "extended warranty" (service policy). Our dealer will honor any engine warranty claim as I buy my filters from them. I also keep receipts for all oil, lube supplies, and other parts (i.e. plugs, plug wires, timing belts). Disposing of our used oil is no problem. Since I buy my oil from Walmart or O'Reilly Auto Parts, I just drop off the jug filled with spent oil when I buy new. One fluid that is constantly neglected is the coolant. DO NOT buy any of the stuff marketed as being sufficient for any vehicle. Check your owner's manual and get the right fluid. I think it was mid-year in 2016 where Jeep changed from an HOAT chemistry (orange-ish) and went with an OAT coolant (purple-ish). Those types should NEVER be mixed. The silicon content can cause issues. Ask anyone who had newer GM cars in the 90's when they changed to DexCool (OAT) and they somehow slipped the early standard glycol mixture in. It caused a muddy mess in their cooling system.

Enjoy your Jeep - and enjoy how easy it is to maintain!

ETA * meant to mention that the filter housing and base also forms the oil cooler. If you really overtorque the cover, then the oil cooler could fail too!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #11

First oil/filter change on 2017 Wrangler Sahara

"I am always amazed at how lazy people can be, and their endless reasonings for paying someone to do simple tasks."

I'm amazed that "lazy" is 40 bucks for fine work that some of us can no longer perform, and get it for FREE for 2 years!
Old 10-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #12

I guess in my case it's a matter of "trust and reliability" in the dealership. Our current Jeep dealership just changed owners about the time I was making the deal on a new 2017 Wrangler so I know nothing about workmanship in the shop. If the shop is as rinky-dink as the sales department was I think I'll pass.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
"I am always amazed at how lazy people can be, and their endless reasonings for paying someone to do simple tasks."

I'm amazed that "lazy" is 40 bucks for fine work that some of us can no longer perform, and get it for FREE for 2 years!
Remember that most folks on that Jeep Wrangler forum probably average about age 22 and don't have two spare quarters laying around. $40 probably seems like a small fortune to them.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Remember that most folks on that Jeep Wrangler forum probably average about age 22 and don't have two spare quarters laying around. $40 probably seems like a small fortune to them.

Naw. They are having the fun that I had in a past life. [emoji6]