Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #15

Lot's of great advice....and it's all RIGHT ON! We've all been there..go slow..enjoy the ride..you'll do great!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
You got a lot of great suggestions here already. The only other one I can add is; Sharon is responsible for picking the fueling stations, then giving them the "once over" as we approach. She will give me the thumbs up or thumbs down. If she likes what she sees, she will ..... "tell me where to go", that is she immediately spots the diesel fuel pumps, and directs me to the best way to approach, AND exit. It's always important to plan the exit before you enter the pump location.

So far she has been rarely wrong, and the few times she was we learned from it. Occasionally we have had to unhook and turn the coach around and then turn the car around and rehook. But they have been rare. An added benefit is I'm never wrong this way! I never hear "I told you so"!!!!

She is my eyes when backing into a camp spot too. She has a two way radio and keeps me informed as to that is up, like branches, and what is down, like curb stops and what is left or right like trees. She has a measuring stick that tells her if the slides will come out without hitting any trees or power pedistiles. If she disappears from view, I stop. She also spots if the coach will be level or not, and lets me know "if you move forward a fudge, the coach will be more level etc. As an added benefit for the radios, if I get tired of hearing her, I just turn the volume down and watch her hands!! She can't talk without using her hands.

My DW can't find her way out of the neighborhood, or even back the car into the garage, I find it easier and less fighting if I do it myself.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #17
tvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
My DW can't find her way out of the neighborhood, or even back the car into the garage, I find it easier and less fighting if I do it myself.

On the same topic .....quick question ?
Does Flyin J or Loves that have RV Lanes ....do the lanes also have gas pumps as well as diesel fuel ?or only Diesel fuel ?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
Does Flyin J or Loves that have RV Lanes ....do the lanes also have gas pumps as well as diesel fuel ?or only Diesel fuel ?
RV lanes has gas, diesel, water and dump sites. If you need propane, they have that too but most times you need to go thru the RV lane from the store end, against the normal flow.

You will find that the toad will track well behind the MH. It won't cut sharper, like a long trailer, and run over curbs.

Most newer gas stations have driveways behind them and if you use the end pumps, you can loop around and exit.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #19
tvp

Are the RV Lanes around back of station were the trucks go ?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #20

take your time, slow down, look at all your options, and remember that the 'exit' is more important than the 'entrance' when fueling!

honestly, though, you'll probably not even know you're car is back there, and it will tend to follow you anyway.

don't sweat it, you can always dismount the car and get yourself out of any situation...expect it, and you'll not be surprised or caught off guard when it happens.

been there and done that
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnVfla View Post
Hi, love the site, have been reading for awhile and have learned so much. We have a 2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH and have only camped a few times since purchasing. We decided we wanted to tow a car and chose the Acme eazy tow dolly model. I have practiced loading the car and strapping it down, but am a bit nervous about towing it. I know you can't back up with a car on a dolly, and with the 35' + car I dread getting gas or pulling into parking lots feeling for sure that I am going to end up driving down a dead end steet... Any suggestions or cautions would be appreciated. We will be heading to Legoland Florida in 2 weeks.
Thank you all.
Just a short question - I thought it was just 4 down towing that could not back up because of the front wheel turning causing a jack-knife - I thought dolly had fixed wheels and therefore you could back up like a regular trailer - so can dollies be backed up safely?
wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wepinegar View Post
Just a short question - I thought it was just 4 down towing that could not back up because of the front wheel turning causing a jack-knife - I thought dolly had fixed wheels and therefore you could back up like a regular trailer - so can dollies be backed up safely?
You can back up a tow dolly somewhat. Ours is a surge brake model so you have to move the pin to block the tongue of the dolly from moving and setting of the brakes. Ours also has a pivoting platform so any movement left or right is magnified. We have done it for a short backup.

In answer to where the Flying J RV lanes are; in our experience they have always been out front of the store and to one side.
Bshevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wepinegar View Post
Backing a dolly with a car on it is like backing two trailers.

Depending on the dolly and car, it can be two very short trailers that react quickly. Once too far out of alginment, it gets to a point where your dragging the dolly tires or trying to oversteer your car wheels.

Its not recommended by the dolly builders but we all back straight back a few feet if needed.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing you can do is visit a shopping mall after hours. Tow around a bit, in and out of parking spots.. Easy way to do it.

I do not like Dolly tows becuse theya re too much work, I tow 4 down but that's not always possible.> I sill give advantages later Disadvantages as well but alot of them apply to dolly towing.

The only caution is BE SURE TO CHECK the bindings after about 5 miles and every rest stop after that as you travel. Use the diabetic travel plan
(DO NOT pass a rest stop) but instead of using the "Room" (unless you need to) Check the bindings.

Reasons I tow 4 down
Lighter (Basically I'm only towing the car. not the added kilopound or nearly that (1,000 pounds) of dolly)
Nothing to stow (the tow bars stow on the RV At least the ones I have)
Easy hookup .. You have to be straight on. I do not.
and once I'm hooked up I do check my hitch every trime I stop (other than stop signs and traffic lights) but I do not have to test the bindings. There should be no bindings (just make sure all the pins are there).

And I travel on the diabetic plan for .. Well I'm a Diabetic.

Disadvantages of 4 down.
Many cars, including the one I tow, are not towable that way AS DELIVERED.. takes betweern 1,000 and 2,000 to make 'em towable
I added an Axle lock to my first towed and a lube pumpt to the one I tow now.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
Almost all Flying Js have RV Islands and they usually also have the propane so you can fill fuel and propane at one stop. There are a few very old Flying Js that do not.

Love's is updating their locations and the newer one, do have RV lanes and propane but they are few at this point.

The RV lanes usually have diesel and gas at the same pump.

A lot of the newer stations have car pumps with enough room for you to access as well. Just check it out before committing yourself.

BTW, Love's purchased Flying J a few years back so they are the same company now.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #26

After a little experience you will be able to judge the stations that you can fit in. Don't get too uptight and relax. You will find your past driving experience will kick in. ENJOY.

Tags
first time, towing