Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #1

First time towing

Hi, love the site, have been reading for awhile and have learned so much. We have a 2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH and have only camped a few times since purchasing. We decided we wanted to tow a car and chose the Acme eazy tow dolly model. I have practiced loading the car and strapping it down, but am a bit nervous about towing it. I know you can't back up with a car on a dolly, and with the 35' + car I dread getting gas or pulling into parking lots feeling for sure that I am going to end up driving down a dead end steet... Any suggestions or cautions would be appreciated. We will be heading to Legoland Florida in 2 weeks.
Thank you all.
JnVfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnVfla View Post
Hi, love the site, have been reading for awhile and have learned so much. We have a 2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH and have only camped a few times since purchasing. We decided we wanted to tow a car and chose the Acme eazy tow dolly model. I have practiced loading the car and strapping it down, but am a bit nervous about towing it. I know you can't back up with a car on a dolly, and with the 35' + car I dread getting gas or pulling into parking lots feeling for sure that I am going to end up driving down a dead end steet... Any suggestions or cautions would be appreciated. We will be heading to Legoland Florida in 2 weeks.
Thank you all.
Nah, that's short. Just remember to turn a tad wide, and if you feel like the turn might not go well, go SLOW.

Keep in mind, there's always a way out of a situation you got yourself into. Go for it, you'll be fine.

Use google maps satellite view to look at gas stations, you'll find most are very accommodating. Or gas up at while camped with the car detached. You just learn how to make it work.

Go.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

There are many fueling stations that are RV friendly. I use an atlas called "Next Exit" it will show them plus a whole lot more.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:14 PM   #4

Hi

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnVfla View Post
We have a 2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH and ... I dread getting gas or pulling into parking lots
Welcome to RVing. Your concerns are normal; all of us have them, and they're valid - we DO have to be careful, and be cognizant of the added length of our vehicles.

But just use extra caution in everything your do, and it'll work out.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #7

Jnvfla,
The first think i can tell you is TAKE YOUR TIME, don’t be in an hurry, take time to look if you can turn at the gas station. Sometime i park far away and take a walk to see the space i will have the get out with ease. Wait for the farest pump sometime is the best one.
Have a nice one
Old 05-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #8

Don't forget when pulling into and out of you have a lot of feet behind the back wheels that will swing wide, I would hate to see you on here reporting you took your back bumper or cap off.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #9

Fuel stations and merging onto interstate are the ones I take extra precautions. Just pick your spot as early as you can and adjust your speed properly to get in with traffic flow. I also do a satellite view of a fuel station if not a truck stop.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:24 PM   #10

You got a lot of great suggestions here already. The only other one I can add is; Sharon is responsible for picking the fueling stations, then giving them the "once over" as we approach. She will give me the thumbs up or thumbs down. If she likes what she sees, she will ..... "tell me where to go", that is she immediately spots the diesel fuel pumps, and directs me to the best way to approach, AND exit. It's always important to plan the exit before you enter the pump location.

So far she has been rarely wrong, and the few times she was we learned from it. Occasionally we have had to unhook and turn the coach around and then turn the car around and rehook. But they have been rare. An added benefit is I'm never wrong this way! I never hear "I told you so"!!!!

She is my eyes when backing into a camp spot too. She has a two way radio and keeps me informed as to that is up, like branches, and what is down, like curb stops and what is left or right like trees. She has a measuring stick that tells her if the slides will come out without hitting any trees or power pedistiles. If she disappears from view, I stop. She also spots if the coach will be level or not, and lets me know "if you move forward a fudge, the coach will be more level etc. As an added benefit for the radios, if I get tired of hearing her, I just turn the volume down and watch her hands!! She can't talk without using her hands.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
WDW

First keep in mind that you’ll be about 55 to 60 feet in total length. When passing make sure that in the rear view camera you can see the front of the vehicle that you’re passing for some distance and LEARN to use your mirrors. But remember when you put your turn signal light cameras going to take that side view and you’re going to lose that back camera view.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #12

Thank You

WOW, thanks to everyone for all the positive comments and suggestions . My wife has been preaching the "Take your time" and "Don't be in such a rush" every time we take it out, so it looks like she's got it right (as usual)....I just have to start listening a little better...
JnVfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
In our travels we like to look for Flying J stations. They usually have RV lanes. We've downloaded the Pilot app to the phone and pre-plan where we will fuel up based on this. We have traveled down from the Great Lakes area and west across the southern US and have been able to find them everywhere on our travels. The app will tell you if the location has RV Lanes. Pilots do not but in a pinch we can use them because they generally have accessible outside lanes. We will also fill up even when we are only at the half a tank mark just for the convenience.

As everyone has said, just take your time.
Bshevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I haven't had anything that short since our '98 Santara we bought new and traded for a new 38' DP in 2000. Have never worried too much about getting in or out of gas stations or parking lots. Just has never been a problem for me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, towing