Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #1

FJ Cruiser as a toad

I have been shopping for a tow-able vehicle since my FJ Cruiser cannot be towed four-down without a drive line disconnect.

After doing a lot of research and pricing vehicles, I discovered that an option for me might exist at Southwest Drive Lines utilizing a drive line coupler/disconnect.

Does anyone have any experience with these devices. I found one other thread that discussed this subject but there was no reported conclusion to the OP.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #2

We have a 2007 2wd FJ Crusier that we have been towing 4 down behind our MHs for almost 3 yrs now. We had a driveshaft built locally and had them install a remco coupling on the new shaft. Remco DriveShaft Coupling I took them the original shaft so they would know exactly how long to make it. Cost for local shop to build us the new balanced shaft was $310. The Remco coupler, part# 10000069, which I bought direct from SuperFlow Technologies, cost $363. The shifter, part# 10001151, was also bought direct for $190, and a flange, part# 10000152, for $75. I installed the shifter and its cable on the vehicle myself. When its time to sell the FJ we'll simply reinstall the original driveshaft and sell all the towing stuff on ebay or craigslist.

We driven the vehicle under its own power 50k miles since the new shaft and shifter were installed. We've towed it another 22k miles.

Works great, last a long time.

He's a thread I did in 2010 on the subject.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/fj-cr...tem-68345.html

We use a RoadMaster 10k Lb All Terrain BlackHawk tow bar and brackets.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #3

We want to buy an FJ Cruiser and have hesitated because of the flat towing restrictions. I am looking at standard transmission models as I have seen a YouTube video of one being towed and that seems to work. Not many standards out there however. I appreciate the driveshaft solution.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
We want to buy an FJ Cruiser and have hesitated because of the flat towing restrictions. I am looking at standard transmission models as I have seen a YouTube video of one being towed and that seems to work. Not many standards out there however. I appreciate the driveshaft solution.
I love my FJ...I will know much more about the drive line coupler this week, as I will be making arrangements to take my FJ to Southwest Drive Lines in Yuma, AZ for the "turn-key" installation.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #5

I used the Remco on a Nissan Frontier 4wheel drive truck years ago. The coupling worked like it should the only thing I didn't like is the danger of damaging it while off roading as its pretty vulnerable that way it mounts on the rear end.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be prepared to have Toyota void your warranty, if you have one and ever need warranty work. It happened to a friend of mine. Just FYI.
I too wanted to buy a FJ in 2007 but settled on the Wrangler we have now.
100k miles later, still happy with our decision.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
Be prepared to have Toyota void your warranty, if you have one and ever need warranty work. It happened to a friend of mine. Just FYI.
I too wanted to buy a FJ in 2007 but settled on the Wrangler we have now.
100k miles later, still happy with our decision.
Worth considering...I've been looking at Wranglers...I have deep sticker shock with the prices that these vehicles carry.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I would and will go the drive shaft disconnect route when it is time to start traveling with my FJ. My only concern is off roaring. As far as the Warren ty goes, the only think Toyota can deny work on is the modified drive shaft and the floor board where you cut the hole for the lever to disconnect.
IMHO I think the FJ is much more comfortable than the Wrangler. I have owned 3 before the FJ. If I was to do it again I would buy another FJ.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
dsbike. Are you sure on the warrenty. I have a new Tacoma that i would like to put a drive shaft disconnect on. It is a 2013 and sure would like to know,
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #10

This is only word of mouth, but I am told that there are a body of laws protecting consumers from new car warranty cancellations by manufacturers. If you damaged the transmission or drive shaft, then they could and would void the warranty if modified. They could not void the warranty because of driveshaft or floor modifications if say the power steering or another non related system failed. Guess most failures of off road vehicles would involve the drive train, so the law might not be much help.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #11

Greetings from Lake Conroe, Texas. I bought a new FJ 4x4 about three months ago and had a driveshaft disconnect installed on it by Driveshaft King in Dallas on December 30th and I am VERY pleased to be able to flat tow - no more tow dolly! I, too, was one who picked the FJ despite its need for modification to be able to flat tow, as thought it test drove significantly better than the Wrangler - a significantly smoother ride which was important in my case as it is my daily driver. Bottom Line: Could not be more pleased with my toad and disconnect.
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Bottom Line: Could not be more pleased with my toad and disconnect.
I hope you don't mind; but what did the conversion cost? Is there any driving difference?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #13

Driveshaft King in Dallas was the most reasonable I could find at $1100 INSTALLED. I live closer to Houston, but Smitty's rv service / driveshaft disconnect dealer was SEVERAL HUNDRED more and wanted to keep my FJ a week! Driveshaft King man has been installing them for 25 years and has same day service. Well worth the drive! He also got good reviews on this site. And zero driving difference - AND THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY driving difference after install. P. S. - I do 99.9% of ALL my rv maintenance, repairs and upgrades, and I am sooooooooo glad I did not try to tackle this install. In my opinion, it was well worth someone else doing it all. Believe prior install experience is a must or would really take a toll on you...
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy bill View Post
dsbike. Are you sure on the warrenty. I have a new Tacoma that i would like to put a drive shaft disconnect on. It is a 2013 and sure would like to know,
As stated there are laws against manufacturer voiding warranties. What will void a warranty is a modification to a system or component that directly effects that component or another. The drive shaft disconnect could void a transmission warranty if it was to come apart at 65 mph & do severe damage to say the output shaft of the tranny or the the input shaft to the differential. The dealer must prove that the modified component caused the failure. If you are in disconnect mode & towing the FJ there is nothing connected to the transmission. The reason Toyota does not want to tow 4 down is that with out the drive shaft disconnect or the drive shaft removed the transmission is being turned internally and is not being lubricated. With the drive shaft disconnect you remove this from being a factor.

Tags
toad