Originally Posted by Alpine36
Transfer case in neutral, manual trans in 2nd or 3rd, auto trans in neutral, key on just far enough to allow the steering wheel lock to disengage but not turn on the dash idiot lights.
Sorry, that's not correct. The auto transmission goes back in Park with the transfer case in neutral.
With a 2008 Wrangler, you need to see if you have a steering lock. Jeep made a change during that year and some '08s have steering lock and others don't. With the key off, see if you can turn the wheel. If it doesn't lock, then you don't have to leave the key in the ignition. If it does you have to leave the key in acc or there are instructions on some of the Jeep forums on how to defeat the lock.
Here are the steps from the '08 manual:
1. Depress brake pedal.
2. Shift automatic transmission into NEUTRAL or depress
clutch pedal on manual transmission.
3. Shift transfer case lever into N (Neutral).
4. Start engine.
5. Shift automatic transmission into DRIVE or manual
transmission into gear.
6. Release brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle
7. Shut the engine off and place the ignition key into the
8. Shift automatic transmission into PARK.
9. Apply parking brake.
10. Attach vehicle to the tow vehicle with tow bar.
11. Release parking brake.
12. Disconnect the negative battery cable, and secure it
away from the negative battery post.