Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2018, 05:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
This is from an old thread, but we just bought a 2011 Honda CRV to tow behind our 2003 National Tradewinds 375LE.

I had a trickle charger added with my Blue Ox tow set-up.

Should I still find and remove the fuse when towing?

Thanks,
Wm Mayberry
2003 National Tradewinds 375LE
2011 Honda CRV
Yes.

You can buy a fuse cut off gadget that has a dash mounted button.

I did the opposite from you. Had the fuse cut off but cheaped out on the trickle charge. After my first dead battery I had the charger installed. That fuse does not stop all drains on the battery.

If you have both you minimize the chances for problems.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2018, 05:57 AM   #30

Quote:
This is from an old thread, but we just bought a 2011 Honda CRV to tow behind our 2003 National Tradewinds 375LE.

I had a trickle charger added with my Blue Ox tow set-up.

Should I still find and remove the fuse when towing?

Thanks,
Wm Mayberry
2011 Honda CRV
I guess a lot depends on how much the "trickle charger" puts out. I tow a 2014 Honda and never remove any fuses. The charge line from the coach keeps the CRV's battery fully charged at all times.

Others install a bigger battery in the CRV and seem happy with that.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #31

I put a fuse sw on my '05 CRV.
Added a coach to toad charge line on '14 CRV along w larger batty. I don't pull fuses and haven't had any issues even after multi day tows.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I put a fuse sw on my '05 CRV.
Added a coach to toad charge line on '14 CRV along w larger batty. I don't pull fuses and haven't had any issues even after multi day tows.
Wow, I cringe when I have to drive 6 hours for some reason, I can't imagine driving for multi days. Takes me back to my much younger years when we used to do something like that with multiple drivers. Uggg! Never again.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:37 PM   #33

The pre 2015 CRV makes a great toad. It's one and only downfall is an undersized battery. By changing the OEM Group 51 400 CCA (oversized lawn tractor battery) to a Group 24F 800 CCA battery you eliminate any dead battery issues. No need to pull fuses. You can tow for multiple days without having to unhook. Simply start the engine and run for a few minutes before leaving, run through all gears and shift from drive to neutral, leave the ignition in ACC and your good to go.
The new replacement battery tray is for a Honda Odessey. It's a two piece plastic tray that directly replaces the OEM tray without any mods. About $20 for both pieces. Shop around for the Group 24F battery with the highest CCA as close to 800 as you can find. Everything else including the holdown clamp is a direct fit.
A charge line from the coach with a 20A Fuse at each end is good insurance. See the yellow wire on the positive post in the photo. Especially if your using an Aux braking system that uses power from the toad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	208478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0547.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	208479  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	208480  
Old 06-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #34

The trickle charge won't help if you don't pull the fuse. I put in a switch to cut off power to the fuse, but hooked it up to the wrong fuse. I kept wondering why my battery kept dying. I installed a trickle charge wire, and still had the same problem until my wife suggested I check which fuse I had hooked the switch to.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:00 AM   #35

We left on our 1st trip from Bradenton, FL to Crossville, TN towing our 2011 Honda CRV Tuesday morning.
We ran up I-75 to Chattanooga then over Waldens Ridge on Hwy 111 and up Hwy 127 to Crossville.
All went well. The little Honda followed nicely.
My only surprise, was that every time I checked the tow bars (Blue Ox), One had not clicked in. I would turn sharply to get it to lock in, but would find it hadn't at my next stop.
I guess all was fine, just found that interesting.

Wm Mayberry
2011 Honda CRV

KOA Crossville, TN
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
The trickle charge won't help if you don't pull the fuse. I put in a switch to cut off power to the fuse, but hooked it up to the wrong fuse. I kept wondering why my battery kept dying. I installed a trickle charge wire, and still had the same problem until my wife suggested I check which fuse I had hooked the switch to.
Mike, I suspect something is wrong with your "trickle charge". On my Discovery the charge line as Freightliner provided in their plug on pin #4 puts out up to 20 amps of current if needed. There is nothing in the Honda that uses that much current when the switch is in the position for towing. I've towed a 2009 Honda and a 2014 Honda for over 60,000 miles without ever removing a fuse.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:44 AM   #37

Quote:
We left on our 1st trip from Bradenton, FL to Crossville, TN towing our 2011 Honda CRV Tuesday morning.
We ran up I-75 to Chattanooga then over Waldens Ridge on Hwy 111 and up Hwy 127 to Crossville.
All went well. The little Honda followed nicely.
My only surprise, was that every time I checked the tow bars (Blue Ox), One had not clicked in. I would turn sharply to get it to lock in, but would find it hadn't at my next stop.
I guess all was fine, just found that interesting.

Wm Mayberry
2011 Honda CRV

KOA Crossville, TN
What model Blue Ox Tow Bar do you have? Is it new or used? Has it been greased as required? This sounds like something you need to discuss with Blue Ox. If one arm is not locking, that puts a heck of a strain on the locked arm when stopping.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:59 AM   #38

It is a new unit. This is the 1st time towing.
I haven't greased anything.

Wm

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Mike, I suspect something is wrong with your "trickle charge". On my Discovery the charge line as Freightliner provided in their plug on pin #4 puts out up to 20 amps of current if needed. There is nothing in the Honda that uses that much current when the switch is in the position for towing. I've towed a 2009 Honda and a 2014 Honda for over 60,000 miles without ever removing a fuse.

Pete, I disconnected the trickle charge line after I got the right fuse identified. I suspect the trickle charge problem had something to do with the power draw on the auxiliary braking system (Invisibrake). With that system, you have to turn on the coach headlights while underway (which I wasn't doing either).
Old 06-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #40

Somewhat off topic. But

I'm installing a Brake Buddy system on my 2011 CRV
Where did you run the breakaway
Cable through the firewall?
Thanks,
Wm Mayberry
2011 Honda CRV

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Yes.

You can buy a fuse cut off gadget that has a dash mounted button.

I did the opposite from you. Had the fuse cut off but cheaped out on the trickle charge. After my first dead battery I had the charger installed. That fuse does not stop all drains on the battery.

If you have both you minimize the chances for problems.
The fuse bypass switch does stop all drains on the battery. I have an '07 with navigation and the tiny battery, and I can tow all day and not touch the car until the next morning when I start it up again for the pre tow procedure.
Also, on my '07 the bigger battery box wouldn't fit. Must have changed on a later model.
I installed the fuse cutoff switch in the coin holder on the left side of the bottom dash.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #42

I tow a 14 CRV w a MH charge line only. Have done multi days in a row w/o running toad other than AM tranny prep and had no batty issues.
I did upgrade to a GP 24 but figured I'd wait to see if I needed to add a fuse bypass sw and after several mos it's not necessary.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, tow