Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #1

Flat tow a Mazda Miata

We are looking at small / light / fun cars that we could flat tow behind our 30' Windsport. We like the Mazda Miata but haven't found any baseplates listed for any newer models. Found equipment for earlier (<2010) but they require external bar. Anybody have any experience with the Miata?

Also looking at Minis or Fiats. Equipment available for both but have noted that they each have the potential for expensive repairs. Having visions of the car breaking down in the desert and having it being towed to the nearest dealer 300 miles away!
KrankyKoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2018, 12:50 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You might want to use the Search Function to find information on Miata towing. There are a couple of guys that tow them and can really help you.

Being paranoid about things "breaking in the middle of a desert" will leave you towing nothing. Stick shift Hondas and Toyotas are probably more reliable than other makes, however.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrankyKoot View Post
Anybody have any experience with the Miata?
I towed a 2000 5-speed over 35,000 miles and have towed a 2010 6-speed and a 2012 6-speed (now) over 40,000 miles.

With information (I don't make or sell anything), I have also helped more than 100 other Miata owners to get their cars flat towable.

If you want to know more, PM me with your Email address and I'll tell you all you need to know.

Tim

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrankyKoot View Post
We are looking at small / light / fun cars that we could flat tow behind our 30' Windsport. We like the Mazda Miata but haven't found any baseplates listed for any newer models. Found equipment for earlier (<2010) but they require external bar. Anybody have any experience with the Miata?
I flat tow my 2017 Miata MX-5. Roadmaster makes the baseplate. I ordered mine through e-trailer.com

PM me if you have questions.

Wes
Wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #5

Miata as a towed/toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
I towed a 2000 5-speed over 35,000 miles and have towed a 2010 6-speed and a 2012 6-speed (now) over 40,000 miles.

With information (I don't make or sell anything), I have also helped more than 100 other Miata owners to get their cars flat towable.

If you want to know more, PM me with your Email address and I'll tell you all you need to know.

Tim

Tim,
We are looking to tow our 1997 Miata NA M-Edition on a tow dolly behind our '94 Newmar Kountry Star.... any thoughts on suggestions you might have on this type of set-up, would be most appreciated... Since we can't tow our Outback/auto, our only other available car would be our 1971 MGB GT coupe.. not as fun as the Miata.. LOL
thanks
Brigitte
Old 08-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #6

We have been flat towing our 2011 5 speed for over a year now after using a dolly to tow a Kia auto. When you say dolly it usually means front wheels up and rear down usually a front wheel driver. Not sure that would work for the low slung Miata. On the other hand it your talking about a trailer where the entire car is up then that would work and has advantages over the dolly. Wouldn't need to be that big but then you have the issue of what to do with it when you land.

We hated having to crawl around under the car hooking up the dolly in the dirt and rain. My take would be to bite the bullet and flat tow unless the Miata is an auto. If you have any mech skills it is fairly easy to mount the assembly on the Miata saving much of the cost over a dolly.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #7

Is your miata 6 speed transmission and did you have to do any modification
mardajam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:11 PM   #8

I tow a 06 MX5. Easy Peasey. Listen to Healeyman as he has to mo experience towing a Miata. It really is worry free and and a fun car to drive. I just put a tow hitch on mine for our bike rack. Can’t go heavy bikes but as long as we stay under 200 pounds which we are way under including the rack no worries.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardajam View Post

They have to be standard transmission to be flat towed.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Actually ours is a sport model with a 5 speed. Would have liked a 6 but do not miss the extra speed until we are on the interstate. Only mods were to the mounting points. Just drilling. You do have to do some wiring which entails removing some trim pieces to route the wires. Also pay attention to the tail light wiring. Had someone do ours and it ended up wrong.
Old 09-03-2021, 03:58 AM   #11

Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongreg View Post
They have to be standard transmission to be flat towed.
I just bought a 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring yesterday. It has the 6 speed manual transmission and hope to be flat towing soon. Fun car to drive!
I would like to know how to PM the gentleman that has helped many with the guidance on flat towing a Miata MX-5.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:50 AM   #12

Quote:
I just bought a 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring yesterday. It has the 6 speed manual transmission and hope to be flat towing soon. Fun car to drive!

I would like to know how to PM the gentleman that has helped many with the guidance on flat towing a Miata MX-5.
Just go to any post by that user and click on their username. You then have the choice of sending a PM. [+ Message at top]
You can Set up your acct to notify you when you receive a PM or you can just look to see if you have any.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 03:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Just go to any post by that user and click on their username. You then have the choice of sending a PM. [+ Message at top]
You can Set up your acct to notify you when you receive a PM or you can just look to see if you have any.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

Thank you
Old 10-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #14

2017 Mazda Miata RF 6 Speed Transmission

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2017 Mazda Miata RF that we had planned to flat tow and we were surprised when we looked at the manual and it said "NO". It is a six speed standard and only has 6000 miles at this point. I can understand the lube issue after looking at a transmission diagram it looks like there is nothing to throw lube if none of the lower gears are turning.

Thoughts I have are adding a lube pump to spray lube high and trickle down or a drive shaft disconnect.

I hate to have to buy a new car for this after buying the motorhome.
This smarty pants thought he had it all figured out! Then I did the research... hanging head in shame!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mazda Transmisson.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	345917  

Tags
tow