Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2023, 05:09 PM   #1

Flat tow a VW Jetta

We are considering a purchase of a 2017 VW Jetta, 5 speed.
Does anyone have experience flat-towing a later-model Jetta? I saw a thread for an '05, but was wondering if anything changed.
Thanks for the input!
tdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2023, 07:03 PM   #2

I know of many who are flat towing newer Volkswagens that have both 5 and 6 speed manual transmissions and front-wheel-drive.

We know that Volkswagen has never approved of any of their cars to be flat-towed behind a motorhome but as said, many are doing so if the car is equipped with a manual transmission (with clutch pedal, not DSG) and front-wheel-drive.

I've posted this video several times on the forum of a guy doing so with a 2017 Jetta ...GO HERE

^

(don't let the "damage done!" splash screen fool you as you have to go through the entire video for the explanation)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:00 PM   #3

I have towed a 2000 golf tdi and a 13 Golf Sportwagen (same as US golf Sportwagen) for about 45000 - 50000 miles in the past. Zero problems, excellent Toad. Just leave the key in the ignition in off position, steering only locks when you remove the key. Put in neutral, release parking brake and go.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:03 AM   #4

I have a 2014 TDI SportWagen. Like the other post, 35K miles no issues. Mine is a key less ignition version. I have a different procedure for keeping the steering wheel unlocked, but it is simple and quick.
BillyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 07:09 AM   #5

I'd be interested in that procedure for my keyless 2021 Jetta GLI.

I'd also be interested to hear what towbar setup you are using.

We're "inheriting" a class A from my parents and trying to put the pieces together.
JMACRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 07:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMACRV View Post

We're "inheriting" a class A from my parents and trying to put the pieces together.

Manual or automatic???
Old 09-15-2023, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:

Welcome to the forum.

I personally have not heard of any post-2017 model Volkswagen being flat towed. This is not to say nobody has, however.

Again, VW has never approved of any of their vehicles to be recreationally towed --i.e. flat towed-- whether a manual transmission, an automatic. or DSG.

Many pre-2018 VWs are successfully being flat towed but they will be required to have 1) a manual transmission with a clutch pedal, and, 2) front-wheel-drive.

We have heard of and seen reported on this and other RV forums, those flat-towing 2017 and earlier Jettas with clutch pedals with no issues. However, I don't believe we've seen or heard of anybody towing an MK7 (2018 and newer --or 7th generation). Why? I'm not sure. It could have something to do with the sophisticated safety systems located on the front of the car, or the unlocking of the steering wheel, or the push-button start configuration, etc. However, mechanically from the standpoint of the drivetrain, I don't think they should be that much different than earlier VWs ...or so I wouldn't think.

We know that none of the three companies that supply baseplates have offered one for any VW after the model year 2017. So at this point, Roadmaster, Blue Ox, or Demco do not have a baseplate kit available for a 2021 Jetta.

Until we hear from somebody who is flat towing a MK7 Jetta, I'd perhaps start exploring a dolly for towing your Jetta.
Old 09-16-2023, 04:19 AM   #8

Quote:

The steering wheel locks on my ‘14 Jetta when I open the driver’s door and the engine is off. My procedure is after attaching the tow bar, I exit the vehicle with the engine running. I then walk around to the passenger side and through that door, stop the engine and release the parking brake. The steel wheel will remain unlocked until the driver’s door is opened. I leave the key FOB in the vehicle. I also have a charge line to insure the Jetta’s battery remains charged. Low voltage could cause the ECU to lock the wheel. I have 30K plus miles towing the Jetta without issue.

As to baseplate, I went with Demco. Before purchasing, I down loaded all three manufacturers installation manuals. There is significant difference on how each manufacturer attaches their baseplate to the structure of the vehicle. I felt Demco’s had the most mechanical integrity. Demco does not have the “cleanest “ appearance with the tow bar removed. It is obvious the vehicle is a toed, however structural integrity is more important than looks IMHO.
BillyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 02:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMc View Post
The steering wheel locks on my ‘14 Jetta when I open the driver’s door and the engine is off. My procedure is after attaching the tow bar, I exit the vehicle with the engine running. I then walk around to the passenger side and through that door, stop the engine and release the parking brake. The steel wheel will remain unlocked until the driver’s door is opened. I leave the key FOB in the vehicle. I also have a charge line to insure the Jetta’s battery remains charged. Low voltage could cause the ECU to lock the wheel. I have 30K plus miles towing the Jetta without issue.

As to baseplate, I went with Demco. Before purchasing, I down loaded all three manufacturers installation manuals. There is significant difference on how each manufacturer attaches their baseplate to the structure of the vehicle. I felt Demco’s had the most mechanical integrity. Demco does not have the “cleanest “ appearance with the tow bar removed. It is obvious the vehicle is a toed, however structural integrity is more important than looks IMHO.
Great information. However, JMACRV is asking about a MK7 (2021) Jetta GLI (i.e. A7 -7th generation Jetta). None of the baseplate manufacturers at this time are offering a baseplate for a MK7 Jetta and i don't think anybody has yet to report flat towing a MK7 on this forum or any other RV forums that I've seen.

I'd be interested in why that is? ...problems with keeping the steering unlocked? ...safety stuff in front end of the vehicle? ...push button start issues? etc., etc.?

Tags
tow