Not all Escape transmissions can be towed four-down but the 2020 Hybrid one can. Even the Good Sam guide notes that.
Per the 2020 Ford Escape Owners Manual under Towing, page 282, found at: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_07_2019.pdf
If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground:
• Tow only in the forward direction.
• Release the parking brake.
• Place your vehicle in Neutral Tow mode with the following steps:
• Switch your vehicle on in accessory mode.
• Press the menu button on the controls on the steering wheel.
• Select Settings.
• Select Neutral Tow.
• Follow the instructions on the information display.
• Fully press the brake pedal.
• Shift into neutral (N).
• Switch the ignition off.
• Do not exceed 70 mph (113 km/h).
Note: Switching on Neutral Tow mode requires battery power.
Note: If the parking brake is applied, a message appears in the information display
Note: If your vehicle has an ignition key, you cannot remove the key from the ignition when the transmission is in neutral (N) and your vehicle is off.
Note: Start the engine and allow it to run for a few minutes at the beginning of each day, and every six hours or fewer. With the engine running and your foot on the brake, shift into drive (D) and then into reverse (R) before shifting back into neutral (N). Before continuing to tow, re-enable Neutral Tow mode
Does that sound like what you did?
Interestingly, that last note has a modified procedure after running the engine and requires moving the gear shift and re-enabling Neutral Tow mode.