Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #1

Flat-tow Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit?

Is anyone flat-towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit? The Overland model has removable tow hooks in the lower fascia, which presumably allow for easy baseplate mounting. However, the Summit does not have this, and it appears the lower fascia would need to be cut for the attachment points and safety cable tabs.

I am looking at a 2017 Summit but think that recent model years are the same or similar. Any info on this much appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #2

Hi Barry; If you need the info for the mounting of base plates for the Jeep, what I do is go to the Mfg. website of the base plates you would like to use. I have a Roadmaster set up for my 2011 Jeep Wrangler. Before I bought the new Wrangler, I went to Roadmaster's web site to look up the installation instructions for the base plates. They have instructions and pictures of how to install the base plates. This should give you a good idea of what is needed to install. The web site will also show what years certain kits will fit. Some times the kits will fit 3 or 4 years of a model because the manufacture of a vehicle has made no changes to the front. I have not been to other mfg. web sites for base plates, but I am sure they have the same as Roadmaster. This should give you a, heads up, of what is needed to install the base plates and what years of Jeeps they will fit. Hope this info helps. Happy hunting!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
We tow a 2016 Summit. The front fascia does have to be cut out for the tow hooks. It's tedious but looks good when finished. I'm not home to take a picture but it can be done. Just don't touch the Adaptive Cruise Control module in the center.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
We tow a 2016 Summit. The front fascia does have to be cut out for the tow hooks. It's tedious but looks good when finished. I'm not home to take a picture but it can be done. Just don't touch the Adaptive Cruise Control module in the center.
Would love to see some pictures if you have a chance.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi Barry; If you need the info for the mounting of base plates for the Jeep, what I do is go to the Mfg. website of the base plates you would like to use. I have a Roadmaster set up for my 2011 Jeep Wrangler. Before I bought the new Wrangler, I went to Roadmaster's web site to look up the installation instructions for the base plates. They have instructions and pictures of how to install the base plates. This should give you a good idea of what is needed to install. The web site will also show what years certain kits will fit. Some times the kits will fit 3 or 4 years of a model because the manufacture of a vehicle has made no changes to the front. I have not been to other mfg. web sites for base plates, but I am sure they have the same as Roadmaster. This should give you a, heads up, of what is needed to install the base plates and what years of Jeeps they will fit. Hope this info helps. Happy hunting!
Unfortunately, Bue Ox's website is pretty generic when it comes to the Grand Cherokee model. They do not get into detail regarding specific trim levels, but it does appear the fascia will need to be cut out. I don't believe the Overland model requires this, but it will depend on the placement of the safety cable tabs relative to the tow bar attachment points. I may try to call some local shops and get their opinion.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I tow a 2016 Grand Cherokee Overland High Altitude Edition (the latter is just a trim package, IIRC), and my neighbor and I installed the Blue Ox baseplate. The GC did not have tow hooks, and we did have to custom-cut-and-trim the fascia. I think the determining factor might be the presence of the adaptive cruise control "eyeball," which I have, more than the trim level.

As I recall, there is a removable tab on the left side of the grill (as you face it) that needs to be removed, and the hole enlarged, then you create a similar hole on the right side, to accommodate the Blue Ox attachment tabs. We did this with a small hacksaw and a Dremel, and lots of trial fittings until we got it right. You cut just a little at a time, so you never cut too much. I felt it was one of those times that a professional installer might not have been as particular as I was about cutting up the front of my new vehicle.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
Is anyone flat-towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit? The Overland model has removable tow hooks in the lower fascia, which presumably allow for easy baseplate mounting. However, the Summit does not have this, and it appears the lower fascia would need to be cut for the attachment points and safety cable tabs.

I am looking at a 2017 Summit but think that recent model years are the same or similar. Any info on this much appreciated.
Good Thread.

I'm about to buy Blue Ox hardware kit to tow our new-to-us 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit w/EcoDiesel. It definitely is done by quite a few people. I would also enjoy seeing actual photographs of BlueOx or Roadmaster installations....
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #8

We tow a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. I installed a Demco base plate myself. There are some pictures of the process and the final installation at this website: https://ontheopenroad.net/2017/01/13/hello-world/
bd041556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Boy View Post
Good Thread.

I'm about to buy Blue Ox hardware kit to tow our new-to-us 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit w/EcoDiesel. It definitely is done by quite a few people. I would also enjoy seeing actual photographs of BlueOx or Roadmaster installations....
The presence of tow hooks or not really makes no difference. If it has tow hooks, they are simply unbolted during base plate installation. If yours is equipped with the adaptive CC leave that area alone. You will have to do some trimming on the front fascia. You will also want to account for (mount) the break away switch while you have everything apart.

Is your Thor a DP? I can't remember. If it isn't, you may be seriously pushing the weight limits for a gas coach and a diesel GC.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Boy View Post
Good Thread.

Sorry, took me a couple of days to get around tp this. Here's my Blue Ox baseplate installed on my 2016 Grand Cherokee Overland:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170714_093650.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	489.0 KB
ID:	168734  
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
The presence of tow hooks or not really makes no difference. If it has tow hooks, they are simply unbolted during base plate installation.
I think the difference may be that the presence of tow hooks, as in the '17 Overland, means that no fascia cutting or trimming is required. The towbar attachments and safety cable tabs should protrude through the towbar openings, rather than sticking out through the fascia. If this is correct, then it would be one advantage the Overland has over the Summit.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:59 AM   #12

Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Purchased a used 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit to use as a toad. After driving it for 10 days I changed my mind and decided not to use it as a toad. It is too nice to tow behind a motorhome. Going to look for a 2002-06 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 4X4.
The Summit is a nice vehicle with a lot of bells and whistles.

Reese
rcantrell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:37 PM   #13

The Blue Ox baseplates bolt onto the GC frame using existing holes that are used for the factory tow hooks. On our 2015 GC we had no tow hooks but holes are there ready to bolt into.
There were small pop out plastic filler plates on either side that close off the tow hook holes when not used. I removed these, and then did some additional minor trimming with a dremel to provide clearance for the blue ox component.
The entire front fascia has to be removed for the installation, and this area is easily accessible for trimming.
You will need to decide on a location for the breakaway system, and electrical wiring connections.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Sorry, took me a couple of days to get around tp this. Here's my Blue Ox baseplate installed on my 2016 Grand Cherokee Overland:
Thanks, Crabby Mike. Good installation and picture.
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow