RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #1

Flat tow Jeep Wrangler, 2016 Automatic

I have a 2013 32' Coachman Mirada. (Ford V10) Wish to go from dolly trailing a small Honda Fit, to flat towing a 2016 Jeep Wrangler (automatic Transmission)
My concerns are, in order:
1. Good brakes to assist in stopping
2. Simple hookup
3. What is the best tow bar assembly.
4. What is the best brake system (surge or electric on floor of jeep)
The weight of the jeep is 4,240, the weight of the present Honda and dolly is 3300. I run light, minimum of fresh water.
Recommendations please.
Retjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #2

I can't answer specifically about your Jeep because my toad is a Chevy Sonic, but I'll fill you in on why I picked what I did.

I tow with a 2009 Coachmen Mirada on the Ford V10.

My choices:

Blue Ox Aladdin towbar

Yes, it's beefier than needed for my sonic, I wanted to keep my options open in case I got a bigger rig and wanted to tow my Suburban. It works well, had some trouble early on releasing the pins between the tow bar and the vehicle base plate when I wasn't quite straight after towing. A nice lady at Blue Ox suggested turning the toad's wheels to release the tension. Worked great!

Blue Ox base plate

I like the clean look when the pins are removed from the base plate, it blends in with the front of the car nicely.

SMI Stay-n-Play brake system

Uses a vacuum pump under the hood of the toad and a pneumatic cylinder on the brake pedal. Works awesome and stays out of the way while driving, I just flip 1 switch to turn it on and off. This install did require teeing into the vacuum line for the Sonic brake booster so the vacuum pump can activate the brake booster. I was a little concerned about cutting the factory vacuum line, but no issues in the last 3 years.

I did all the install myself, it was pretty straight forward. I used a Blue Ox kit to add extra tail light bulbs into the Sonic tail light housings. Other than attaching to the vehicle battery I didn't have to modify any wiring in the toad.

Brian
Old 04-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flat tow Jeep Wrangler, 2016 Automatic

We have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler JKUS 4DR automatic, pulled behind a 2017 Tiffin Phaeton. No problems, simple unhook/hook up.

Setup:
BlueOx baseplate
Ready Brute Elite tow bar (surge operation). I believe itís rated for 8000lbs
Ready Brute breakaway braking system

Thereís a single airline strength steel cable that goes from the bar, through the firewall, and wraps around the brake pedal. When you brake, the Jeep pushes on the bar, which raises a finger on the bar pulling on the wire, which pulls on (depresses) the brake pedal in the Jeep.

The breakaway is bolted to the frame, inside the wheel well of the drivers front wheel. Another wire through the firewall attached to the brake pedal. If breakaway occurs, the cable gets pulled and is one way. In other words, once pulled, it doesnít loosen unless you manually loosen it.

I installed the entire setup myself. Works great. No electronics. No cutting into brake lines. No voided warranties worries.

If you search for Ready Brute Elite in the forums or on YouTube, youíll find plenty of info. You may even find my pictures of completed setup.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
We have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler JKUS 4DR automatic, pulled behind a 2017 Tiffin Phaeton. No problems, simple unhook/hook up.

Setup:
BlueOx baseplate

Thereís a single airline strength steel cable that goes from the bar, through the firewall, and wraps around the brake pedal. When you brake, the Jeep pushes on the bar, which raises a finger on the bar pulling on the wire, which pulls on (depresses) the brake pedal in the Jeep.

The breakaway is bolted to the frame, inside the wheel well of the drivers front wheel. Another wire through the firewall attached to the brake pedal. If breakaway occurs, the cable gets pulled and is one way. In other words, once pulled, it doesnít loosen unless you manually loosen it.

I installed the entire setup myself. Works great. No electronics. No cutting into brake lines. No voided warranties worries.

If you search for Ready Brute Elite in the forums or on YouTube, youíll find plenty of info. You may even find my pictures of completed setup.
X2 on this setup. We tow a 2008 2 DR JKS, A/T. Were towing with a Mecedes chassis / Sprinter and moving up to a Tiffen Open Road next week. Ready Brute Elite has done us well on several trips across the Rockies. Highly recommend it for operation, simplicity and cost.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
We have a Ready Brute Elite. Takes about 2min to hook up our Jeep and 1 min to unhook. Doesnít need to be on level ground.
Order whatever base plate you want first so you can get the adaptors with the Ready Brute Elite when you order it.
I love our tow bar, specially when I see someone wrestling with other brands trying to hook them up!
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #6

There are some good vids of Ready Brute Elite, this guy has a series of 3 or so them installing on Jeep, as well as wiring lights parts needed . Shows an install awesome looking tow plate but needed some trimming of over hang on frame from factory. Just for looks and lower cost well worth it . IMHO.
Someone else added a turn buckle to brake pull cable for easier adjustments. There are add on brake units for other brand tow bars as well $400ish

Sorry here is #2 Ill let you find them
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #7

It's easiest to skip the base plates and just use an aftermarket bumper or a Currie Tow Plate. I have the Currie but wish I'd gone with a replacement bumper instead. Probably will eventually. Also, the Ready Brute towbar/toad brake is hard to beat for ease of connection/disconnection and install/use simplicity.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:23 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
2016 Jeep Wrangler Auto Transmission Flat Towing Setup:

We have been pulling our Jeep behind a Class A V10 Gas Motorhome since 2017, about 15k.

I will not attempt to detail every aspect of our setup as it would be more pages than the forum would allow, however if you need additional detail contact me.

Equipment: RV3 Brake controller and tire psi monitor, and brake away cable. Blue Ox base plate and tow bar, 10k rated, Mopar RV tow light cable installed from dealer, but I cut off their 6 pin special plug that they hang out the front grill, and connected it to a 6pin connector below the front bumper, extra work but much cleaner. 4 inch drop hitch with blue ox locking pins – 2 for the drop hitch and tow bar that I never take off, and two more locking pins – one for the right tow bar to jeep tow plate and one foe the left side – all keyed the same!

Regardless of which tow bar, base plate, or braking system you use:
If you can - connect a 15 ft 4 pin extender cable from the Jeeps rear hitch trailer light connector – back inside the jeep to the front dash and connect it to a 2 light trailer side light, pointed at your RV rear monitor camera – you will be able to see real time whenever your jeep brakes and tail light status.. I have had 4 to 5 failures that I caught because of the cable connectors where not connected completely or came loose. Simple but non fail system.

The 2016 Jeep steering wheel will not lock when you shut the motor off and remove the key, which means you won’t be running the battery down in the Jeep because the key had to be left in the AUX mode - as older units required. Note that the Ford F53 Winnebago wiring provides a 12 volt charger lead to the Jeep to help in keeping from running the Jeep Battery down. We have stayed connected for up to 4 days at a time without recharging the Jeep battery.

Have a clear plastic box, about 8x14x8, that you can fit all your flat towing cables, pins and connectors into so that when you put it back into the RV cargo hold after connecting for flat towing – you should easily see that it is empty … except for the pin locking key!
ClassAPopUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:25 AM   #9

Another vote for the Ready Brute Elite. This system is super easy to install, works perfectly, is progressive, and cost less than any of the other towbar/brake systems available.

I use the Smittybilt XRC bumper instead of a baseplate on my Wrangler.

There is no better system for a gasoline powered coach without air brakes.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post

Setup:
BlueOx baseplate

This my exact set up for my 2016 Jeep Wrangler. Only thing Ill add is the Hopkins light wiring.

Since I had an extra wire in my 6 pin, Jeep, to 7 pin, motorhome, I hooked the wire to the jeeps brake wire and ran it to an led light I installed on the dash THis allows me to see exactly when the jeeps brakes are applied.

I also installed everything myself.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
This my exact set up for my 2016 Jeep Wrangler. Only thing Ill add is the Hopkins light wiring.

Since I had an extra wire in my 6 pin, Jeep, to 7 pin, motorhome, I hooked the wire to the jeeps brake wire and ran it to an led light I installed on the dash THis allows me to see exactly when the jeeps brakes are applied.

I also installed everything myself.

Jerry
I think the guys vids has similar brake light feedback.if I remember right.. in link I shared great utuber ...good explanations .vid sound quality.
Hats off to him
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Rock Hard 4x4 bumper with mounts for your towbar choice and M&G air brake. Easy install and easy hookup. My 2012 Wrangler has been towed 51,000 miles and been driven 45,000 miles.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #13

Thank you all for the input.
Retjake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow