Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #29

American Coach Owners Club
Once more, with gusto, his 4x4 Jeep is NOT DOLLY TOWABLE. His options are flat-tow or trailer-tow... or if he really wants the worst of all possible options he can spend over a grand on a driveshaft disconnect and then dolly it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
wow! and I thought 'I' was opinionated!

Well, on that point, I'd just say that people who AREN'T opinionated fall in the category of the politically-correct crowd. There's no right or wrong, only shades of grey. There's nothing wrong with having an "opinion", political-correctness notwithstanding. What's important is that one's opinion be based on fact.

You make it sound like 4-down towing involves a learning curve not applicable to other towing methods. The opposite is true. 4-down towing is as simple as it gets, assuming that the toad involved is 4-down towable.

Let's agree here to avoid giving false information to the newcomers on the forum who are looking for unbiased (ex: dolly-towers who insist it's the only way) information. And let's accept that the consensus is that towing 4-down is the towing method of choice, all other factors being equal. OK?
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa_Claus View Post
Once more, with gusto, his 4x4 Jeep is NOT DOLLY TOWABLE. His options are flat-tow or trailer-tow... or if he really wants the worst of all possible options he can spend over a grand on a driveshaft disconnect and then dolly it.

Yep. I think this "discussion" has entered a sputtering hole in the ground.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #32

I guess some people just insist on turning any towing discussion into a dolly vs 4-down debate.

I thought the point was to provide assistance and guidance to the OP.

I guess the reason a question about towing a JK (which is NOT DOLLY TOWABLE) turns into a dolly vs 4-down tow debate is because a lot of folks feel compelled to answer when they obviously have no knowledge about towing a JK.

Kind of like those threads where someone asks about towing a Tacoma and folks respond that their CRV tows just fine. Like that has some relevance to the actual question.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
<snip>

We chose to flat tow for the convenience, know that Iíll keep the car for a while. I just have to fight new car fever...

Tom - I see you tow a Sonic Hatchback automatic - does your odometer increase the mileage when you tow?

I dolly tow a '15 Sonic Hatchback RS with 6 spd manual.
AudiDudi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow