Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2022, 11:48 AM   #1

Flat tow using snowplow baseplate. Wrangler

I have a 2016 rubicon that I use to push snow with, has a western snowplow. Due to the snowplow mounting plate, I assume the blue ox baseplate would not fit.

I know there are companies who make new front bumpers for the JKU, I would prefer to keep my steel OEM bumpers. So I was wondering if I could use the snowplow baseplate for towing the Jeep.

If this isn’t a good idea, is LOD the only front bumper that can be adapted to mount the tow bar?
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2022, 11:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
I have a 2016 rubicon that I use to push snow with, has a western snowplow. Due to the snowplow mounting plate, I assume the blue ox baseplate would not fit.

I know there are companies who make new front bumpers for the JKU, I would prefer to keep my steel OEM bumpers. So I was wondering if I could use the snowplow baseplate for towing the Jeep.

If this isn’t a good idea, is LOD the only front bumper that can be adapted to mount the tow bar?
Towed a '95 Yukon from Brainardsville NY to Hershey PA with Fisher snowplow mounts as the baseplate. Easy peazy. Still have the crossbar.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:42 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I see no issues doing that, likely stronger than any available baseplate.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Having spent many (!!) hours pushing snow when I lived in Iowa, I can't imagine that a tow base plate would be any stronger than the connections for the plow - those things take a real beating. It might take a bit of customization for the connection from RV to plow, but I'd think that any decent welder could fix you up with something.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:02 PM   #5

Your plow bracket is probably stronger than the BLUE Ox base plate. Just confirm the mounting that is designed to push, will be just as strong pulling.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:56 AM   #6

I don't know anything about snow plow base plates but the consensus seems to be it would be robust enough. My only question is about the spacing for the tow bar attachment points. The average base plate is typically about 24" between tabs is that similar to where it is with the plow base plate?
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:53 AM   #7

I had a 28" spread on the crossbar when pulling the Yukon.

Tags
baseplate, tow