Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #1

Flat Tow Vehicles - Best ones to use ???

Have the Class A diesel pusher. Have a Blue Ox tow bar. Now need a tow vehicle or two.

Which are the best and simplest to hook up and tow. For 4x4? For SUV? And for smaller runaround town car? Best years and/or model?

If need a braking system, what works the best?

All feedback would be great, probably for others too....

Thanks in Advance,
Mike
p1havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #2

Well, unfortunately the list is getting smaller all the time.

Here's a great reference for you....Motorhome Magazine's annual Dinghy Towing guides:

Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine

The information in these guides is straight from the Manufacturers.

Jeep is probably one of the most used TOADS...but in recent years you have to be careful with many of their models. I tow a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4. Just put the transfer case in Neutral, the gear shift in Park, unlock the steering wheel. I also have towed a Dodge Dakota 4x4. Can't remember the year...early 2000 something.
Same procedure as my Jeep to prep for towing. I had that pickup rigged up with a pulley and ramp system that I could pull a 14' flatbottom boat on a trailer up into the bed with the tongue of the trailer up over the roof. I also had a Dodge car with a stick that I had set up. Just put in neutral, unlock the steering and go.

I think what you want to tow is dependent on what you want to do with it. That's why the Dinghy towing guides are so useful. You can look through the years and see what you think you'd like and would work best for you and go shopping.

As far as braking systems...wow...everyone will have their favorite. I bought a Brakebuddy back in 1999 or 2000. Still use it. My current coach had one in the storage bay when I bought it, so now I have two! Easy to transfer vehicle to vehicle. It only takes a couple of minutes to set up. I don't think it's the "best" but I think it's certainly adequate unless you're towing a very heavy vehicle, and perhaps then I might want something a bit more sophisticated.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #3

There are probably more Jeeps and Honda CRVs than anything else.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We are pulling a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek AWD 5spd and couldn't be happier... Just turn the key off and leave it in the ignition that's it...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #5

We tow a Chevy HHR. I have the RVI3 brake system. The HHR is a 5 speed and you have to pull a fuse or install a bypass switch for the fuse. This is really not a problem.
Pacman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #6

We towed a Ford CMax and had a bad experience. Now towing an AWD Ford Edge which is going well. Ford Edge is one of the few AWD vehicles that I know of you can four-down.

We use the ReadyBrute and I personally like the simple mechanical operation of it.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #7

just went 4 down a few months ago....I went with a Kia soul, 6 speed manual (2015). Love it, Seats 4 adults comfortably for a run around-base camp car. Light weight and easy hook up......put in neutral, key on then off and leave in ignition. Plus has a bull nose front end if you will, that I feel helps keep rocks away from wind shield!!!!! $11,500 with warranty, what a deal !!!!
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We really like our Honda CRV! They are flat-towable through 2014.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #9

Flat Tow Vehicles - Best ones to use ???

Just got a new one. 2018 Hyundai Elantra sport 6 speed.

Blue ox base / towbar/ etc. had the stay and play from SMI / Demco installed.

Hookup flip braking on, stick in neutral, emergency brake off, go.

Tows great and installer ran the Toad brakes engaged light to dash of coach so I donít have to try and see in rear view camera.

Had a Jeep Liberty that was towable but love the nicer ride and double the gas mileage in the new one.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:18 PM   #10

Jeep.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #11

Thanks for the feedback and all the info. Really helped a lot. Learned a lot too.

Thanks,
Mike
p1havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lslblues View Post
We towed a Ford CMax and had a bad experience. Now towing an AWD Ford Edge which is going well. Ford Edge is one of the few AWD vehicles that I know of you can four-down.

We use the ReadyBrute and I personally like the simple mechanical operation of it.
CR-V AWD and front wheel drive up through 2014 are towable. I have the front wheel drive version.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #13

We tow our 2015 Chevy Malibu....lay both back seats down and lots of room for 2 golf bags and carts
dmcgiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The Owner's Manuals for most vehicles are available online.

Be careful of the advice you receive from people (me included).

The Owner's Manual for one of the vehicles recommended in a previous post in this thread shows instructions for towing with all wheels on the ground in the "In case of emergency/Towing". Prior model years of that vehicle showed instructions for "Recreational Towing"; the 2016 model year does not.

Although I don't believe (my opinion - worth exactly what you're paying for it) that there's been a change to the drivetrain, there has been a change to the text in the owner's manual. That text change likely changes the warranty coverage.

More free advice (worth what you're paying for it) - check the Owner's Manual for any vehicle you want to tow before you buy it to be sure that the Owner's Manual allows for recreational towing.

Take care,
Stu

Tags
tow