Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2021, 01:44 PM   #1

Flat tow vs trailer

So we are new to RVing and we bought a 2014 Winnebago Vista 35 F (36 ft) Class A gasser. Of course me being a newbie thought I was gonna buy an enclosed trailer and tow my wife’s Fiat Spider and my Harley Street Glide haha rookie. So now I am trying to figure out now what my best options are. Obviously I am not going to be able to take both with us but I need to take one or the other and I want the option to take either without spending a fortune. So do I buy a trailer that accommodates both or do I buy a trailer for the bike and just flat tow the Spider? The coach has a 5000 lb tow capacity. The Spider comes in at about 2500 lbs and the Harley comes in at about 860 lbs. if I do a trailer I am also going to bring my mobility scooter for walking the dogs. I have found some lite weight trailers but haven’t found pricing yet. I don’t love the idea of hauling the bike in the open but if it the only feasible option then I guess it will do.
CBChappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Tandem tow dolly...$5,000 to 7,500 for one that protects the bike some. You can tow the Spider backwards on it (saves wear on the drivetrain) by strapping the steering wheel from moving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F12DE876-D0A4-4ECC-9D23-4D40F210EA5E.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	317910   Click image for larger version

Name:	D29CD1A0-C806-4E00-A689-7FF236FA166F.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	317913  

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:03 PM   #3

Wink Lots of options...

You might want to take a look at a cargo trailer for the bike and more. I have a 6 X 10' {8' tall} cargo trailer and after 2 years and 20,000+ miles I like it better every day. First of all you can use it for lots of other purposes.

I routinely take loads of landscaping/tree trimmings etc. to the brush pit at the landfill. When we moved up to the mountains last fall I made 7 trips between Tucson and Payson hauling furniture, boxes, tools etc. It hauled my last motorcycle, a 2017 Indian Springfield at 875# {which I just traded in on a 2017 Can Am Spyder - 998#}.

The Can Am fits, just barely {about 1" of width to spare}, but I can still stow it and tow it behind our 24' Class C or my Honda Ridgeline just as I did with the Indian. If I were to ever get an actual Toad {not likely} I would want to flat tow. If you go that route a decent used cargo trailer can be had for a reasonable price to handle the bike and a host of other cargo.
Just sayin...
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:05 PM   #4

Flat towing your toad is always the best option.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBChappell View Post
So we are new to RVing and we bought a 2014 Winnebago Vista 35 F (36 ft) Class A gasser. Of course me being a newbie thought I was gonna buy an enclosed trailer and tow my wife’s Fiat Spider and my Harley Street Glide haha rookie. So now I am trying to figure out now what my best options are. Obviously I am not going to be able to take both with us but I need to take one or the other and I want the option to take either without spending a fortune. So do I buy a trailer that accommodates both or do I buy a trailer for the bike and just flat tow the Spider? The coach has a 5000 lb tow capacity. The Spider comes in at about 2500 lbs and the Harley comes in at about 860 lbs. if I do a trailer I am also going to bring my mobility scooter for walking the dogs. I have found some lite weight trailers but haven’t found pricing yet. I don’t love the idea of hauling the bike in the open but if it the only feasible option then I guess it will do.
Well Sir,
We've done what you're thinking about, in multiple ways. But, our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. But, in your case, while I'm not a fan of ANY tow dollies, I'd maybe think about the one that was shown in the pictures. You state your wifes car hovers around 2,500 and the bike is around 860, correct? In using advanced match, that's close to 3,360 lbs. You state your towing capacity is 5,000, correct? Well, again, using advanced match, 5,000 - 3,360 = 1,640. Well, I have no idea what that pictured dolly weighs but, I'd bet that the sprung weight is way less than that.

I don't know much about Fiat Spiders and, I'm assuming you've looked up whether or not you can flat tow it or not. Or, whether or not it can be dolly towed or not. But, once that's a *for sure* thing, then I'd maybe take a serious look at that dolly with M/C capability, especially if you find one in aluminum. It's only money!!!!!!
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of questions yet, starting with whether the Spyder is even flat-towable. The 1960 850 model I had back in the day would have been, but I'm guessing this is a newer one, probably a 124? Stick shift with rear drive?

You can probably find a car trailer light enough for a 2500 lb car and stay within the 5000 lb tow limit, but you end up with a lot of $$ invested. Or you could dolly tow it if its a stick shift (personally I would NOT tow it backwards), though that's not much cheaper.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:28 PM   #7

If you are going to consider a tow dolly you should also consider the ground clearance on the Fiat. Once it’s on the dolly would the end of the car that isn’t be susceptible to dragging on dips or steep inclines?
Old 02-13-2021, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Tandem tow dolly...$5,000 to 7,500 for one that protects the bike some. You can tow the Spider backwards on it (saves wear on the drivetrain) by strapping the steering wheel from moving.
I own a dolly from this manufacturer, (Landgrebe in Valparaiso Indiana.)

Construction is robust, customer service is good.

Mine doesn’t have the deck for golf cart / cycle, but, it does have the rock guard I like the caster steer on these dollys, they track well.
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Check your RV owner's manual for any mention about towing. What is the tongue weight of that tandem tow dolly when it is fully loaded? If you need to use a drop hitch adapter to level out the hitch setup, that could really reduce your allowable tongue weight depending on how much you might need to drop.
JimBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:07 PM   #10

There is available a hitch mounted M/cycle carrier. For 850 lbs you would need to modify the M/home chassis connections. The ones I have seen also have the 2"receiver for a tow dolly or 4 down hitch.
I pulled 4 down an MG Midget for 2 years. Did not have any issues with the transmission or drive train but your "Fix It Again Tony" 124 Spider maybe different!! Check the owners manual or a FIAT web group for advice.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Lots of questions yet, starting with whether the Spyder is even flat-towable. The 1960 850 model I had back in the day would have been, but I'm guessing this is a newer one, probably a 124? Stick shift with rear drive?

You can probably find a car trailer light enough for a 2500 lb car and stay within the 5000 lb tow limit, but you end up with a lot of $$ invested. Or you could dolly tow it if its a stick shift (personally I would NOT tow it backwards), though that's not much cheaper.
The Spider is a 2018 automatic rear wheel drive.
CBChappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:05 AM   #12

Everyone is dancing around it - you simply do not have enough towing capacity to tow both no matter how you slice it. I don't think you have enough capacity to pull the car in an enclosed trailer either.

Could you do it? Sure you could hook it up and motor down the road, but it will be a miserable experience for the driver of the RV.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #13

It takes a larger coach but here is how we take it all with us.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stacker trailer.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	318062  
DuraFlap Mud Flaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:32 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
Everyone is dancing around it - you simply do not have enough towing capacity to tow both no matter how you slice it. I don't think you have enough capacity to pull the car in an enclosed trailer either.

Could you do it? Sure you could hook it up and motor down the road, but it will be a miserable experience for the driver of the RV.
Actually he does using a Tandem dolly as I posted above.
Car 2500 lb+Bike 900 +Tandem alum dolly 1100= 4500 lbs.
Doesn’t need a drop hitch, it’s essentially a 2 wheel trailer.
Been towing backwards 100,000+ miles... no issues.
Biggest issue is the amount of tongue weight which can be solved by adding blocks so the car’s tires are centered slightly behind the dolly’s axle when tied down. Remove the blocks if not taking the bike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3B087704-019A-4E27-A039-3DBA6670A5A0.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	318113  
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, trailer