RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:00 PM   #1

Flat towing

Does anyone flat tow a 2002 Ford F-250 4x4? Iím interested in downing this.
Dbneuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2020, 11:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbneuts View Post
I was going to do this but sold the truck. Great choice though because you can put the transfer case in neutral unlike later models.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbneuts View Post
First off, may I ask, what is "Downing"?

Second, nope, we don't own one but, Ford did not authorize any of its F-150 4x4 lineup to be flat towed until 2012. I don't know whether or not, it (Ford) authorized any of the F-250 4x4 fleet to be flat towed or not. If so, I might assume that any instructions for flat towing would be in the owners manual. Just a guess.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
First off, may I ask, what is "Downing"?

Second, nope, we don't own one but, Ford did not authorize any of its F-150 4x4 lineup to be flat towed until 2012. I don't know whether or not, it (Ford) authorized any of the F-250 4x4 fleet to be flat towed or not. If so, I might assume that any instructions for flat towing would be in the owners manual. Just a guess.
Scott
I think it’s a spell check error

This is the only issue you would have (from 2002 the manual): “4WD vehicles electronic shift transfer case (with automatictransmissions):4x4 vehicles with electronic shift on the fly cannot be towed with anywheels on the ground.“

If you have a manual transfer case shifter and can put the transfer case in neutral (like mine) you can’t hurt it flat towing.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I think itís a spell check error

This is the only issue you would have (from 2002 the manual): ď4WD vehicles electronic shift transfer case (with automatictransmissions):4x4 vehicles with electronic shift on the fly cannot be towed with anywheels on the ground.ď
I wonder what's different with the Ford electronic shift tc from the Chevy. On my Avalanche, it's a simple procedure to shift the tc into neutral even though there is no "N" on the dial. Does Ford not have a neutral between HI and LO ranges? Just curious.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I wonder what's different with the Ford electronic shift tc from the Chevy. On my Avalanche, it's a simple procedure to shift the tc into neutral even though there is no "N" on the dial. Does Ford not have a neutral between HI and LO ranges? Just curious.
They do but it’s not easily selectable. You have to go through a procedure like switching from hi to lo seven times with the headlights on and the key in acc or something like that. Unless there’s no key....

My 2002 F150 had a nifty shift lever on the floor. That’s why it could easily be flat towed. It worked fine and could “shift on the fly” to 4 high.

Edit: Ok here’s the actual procedure, this one for a 2018:

1 - Put the ignition in the on position, but do not start the engine. If your vehicle has an ignition key, turn the key to on. If your vehicle has intelligent access, press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal.
2 - Press and hold the brake pedal.
3 - Rotate the four-wheel drive switch to 2H.
4 - Shift the transmission to neutral (N).
5 - Rotate the four-wheel drive switch from 2H to 4L and back to 2H five times within seven seconds.
Note: If completed successfully, the information display confirms that your vehicle is in neutral tow. This indicates that your vehicle is safe to tow with all wheels on the ground.
Note: If you do not see the message in the display, you must perform the procedure again from the beginning.
Note: You may hear an audible noise as the transfer case shifts into its neutral position. This is normal.
6 - Leave the transmission in neutral (N) and turn the ignition as far as it can go toward the off position. It does not turn fully off when the transmission is in neutral (N). If your vehicle has an ignition key, you must leave the key in the ignition while towing. To lock and unlock your vehicle, use the keyless entry keypad or an extra set of keys. If your vehicle has intelligent access, press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal. You do not need to leave your keys in the vehicle. You can lock and unlock your vehicle as you normally do.
7 - Release the brake pedal.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #7

WOW. That's amazing. I set the emergency brake, put the trans in Neutral, hold my foot on the foot brake and hold the selector dial to the right for about 5 seconds. After it shifts, release the E brake, tranny in park, turn the key off and remove it. No fuse to remove. Just hook up and tow away.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #8

I would think a Superduty 4x4 would be a bit on the heavy side.
My 2006 is over 6,000 lbs.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:38 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_D View Post
I would think a Superduty 4x4 would be a bit on the heavy side.
My 2006 is over 6,000 lbs.
I don’t know why I missed that - I was thinking F150 My F250 weighs over 7k. I wouldn’t want to tow it very far.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind motorhome do you have?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
I donít know why I missed that - I was thinking F150 My F250 weighs over 7k. I wouldnít want to tow it very far.
That's starting to get up there, however, my Avalanche weighs about 6400# and it's not a problem. My loaded trailer is close to 8,000# and it also works fine. (My former enclosed trailer weighed 12,000# and it was a load going up over Loveland pass) It all depends on what engine's doing the work.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:12 PM   #12

anyone having problems flat towing a 2016 Ford Edge, AWD 2.7 liter
rockieroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:37 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockieroad View Post
anyone having problems flat towing a 2016 Ford Edge, AWD 2.7 liter
Iím thinking about flat towing my 2016 Edge (3.5l) Lots of people do it. the down side is all the disassembly of the front body work to mont the base plate . Other than that it seems pretty typical.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Iím thinking about flat towing my 2016 Edge (3.5l) Lots of people do it. the down side is all the disassembly of the front body work to mont the base plate . Other than that it seems pretty typical.
Thank you muchly, did not hear anything about the disassembly of the front body work. Had a beloved 2005 Dakota PU, had to get rid of it because the battery died all the time, then a 2014 Equinox that started to wobble the motorhome again after 2 years of the "new" fix and now I have to tell my husband they are going to have to disassemble the from end of the new vehicle to tow. I am tired of getting rid of vehicles and getting new ones to tow.
rockieroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing