Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Flat towing a 2012 Ford Escape FWD 6cyl

I recently purchased a 2012 Ford escape FWD. The Ford dealer assured me that it was flat towable and I followed the towing instructions in the owners manual.
after only 400 miles of towing I burnt up the transmission. Ford replaced it free of charge and again told me that it was towable and gave me their TSB 12-11-3 which again gives me towing instructions that are exactly the same as the instructions that I had previously followed from the owners manual. Has anyone else recently had transmission problems and what did Ford have to say about it? Did I have a one time experiance or am I likely to have problems on my next trip ??
RV Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #2

That TSB # is not in the Ford database, is 12-11-3 the date of the TSB? Fords TSB numbers look like this. 2012 Ford Escape TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | FordProblems.com
I am of of the impression only the AWD models are flat-towable; up to 2013 when Ford eliminated the flat-towing ability.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:57 AM   #3

The repairing dealer gave me a copy of the TSB and it is headed "TSB 12-11-3" they also said that I should not have any further towing problems if I followed the towing instructions in the TSB and owners manual. which I had already done !!
RV Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:27 AM   #4
Community Moderator

I could not tell what was in the TSB you listed....however I remember reading that Ford said the transmission fluid level had to be lowered a certain amount. Others wrote in that sometimes other mechanics or quick lube places would fill the transmission back up to full, not knowing the reason for the low fluid level reading on the dipstick. Maybe the fluid level was not lowered, or was filled back up without your knowledge ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:45 AM   #5

I had a 2012 Escape and sold it because of the date of manufacture. Mine was made in April 2012 and it was just after a change in the transmission that caused it to not be allowed to four down tow. I don't know what the change was or why they would do that, but after a few trips to the dealer we dumped that car and got an older Liberty CRD.
If I can find a copy of the service bulletin I received in the mail, I'll post the info here.
Check the manufacture date and if it was made after March 2012, I think you will have to look for a pump to put on the transmission to keep the fluid moving through it to four down tow.
MuseJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That TSB # is not in the Ford database, is 12-11-3 the date of the TSB? Fords TSB numbers look like this. 2012 Ford Escape TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | FordProblems.com
I am of of the impression only the AWD models are flat-towable; up to 2013 when Ford eliminated the flat-towing ability.
This is bad information. AWD Escape models are NOT towable 4 down or at least the 2005 is not as we had one and that is what the manual and Ford said.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
This is bad information. AWD Escape models are NOT towable 4 down or at least the 2005 is not as we had one and that is what the manual and Ford said.
I based my information on the Motorhome Dinghy towing guide for 2012. It makes no distinction between FWD and AWD vehicles, so my impression was incorrect in my statement. We are discussing a 2012 model year, I didn't look at 2005 model year.
Thanks for pointing out my error.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:42 PM   #8

Welcome to the legion of Escape Toad "Wish I hadn't bought this #%^*+}<€€%. ,!!! Up to the 2012 model, the Escapes were supposed to be towable. The only model that was truly towable was the Hybrid, it had a CV transmission, completely different and towable. After having two transmissions replaced, we finally bit the bullet and had the Ford/Remco lube pump installed, at a cost to us of$2100, which supposedly makes the Escape function as advertised. On our last cross country trip, after 8K miles, the pump started to fail, and was replaced by Ford under warranty. It's working now, but we only have put another 3K on it. We were also told by Ford that our 2010 had an improved trans, turns out the only thing Ford did was to change the fluid level (reduced) for towing. At least GM had enough sense to pull back with their car that used the same trans and offer to buy back the customers car, and not allow it to be sold as towable. I have never dealt with a company that refused to admit their product was defective and totally avoid to help their customers deal with it.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing