RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #1

Flat Towing a 2015 Ford Explorer AWD

Does anyone have experience with flat-towing a 2015 Ford Explorer AWD (all wheel drive) with automatic transmission? The 2015 Dinghy Towing Guide indicates that it is towable with the transmission in neutral and the ignition in the accessory position, but I would be grateful for any need-to-knows on flat-towing this vehicle, especially regarding any need-to-knows. One concern I have is battery drain with the ignition in the accessory position, which may require a battery charge line from the motorhome or other method to maintain the charge. Again, all input and suggestions are most welcomed. Many thanks!
harich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #2

This is copied and pasted from another post I replied to. Towed our 2014 over 10K miles this way.

You won't find this in the manual, but I can tell you how to do it without draining the battery or having a charge line. It's one of the easiest vehicles to tow, I have towed our '14 Explorer thousands of miles. First, the steering does not have an interlock...go ahead and try it. Second, leave the key out of the ignition....I actually carry mine in the RV. To put in neutral, take out the tray lining the junk holder in the center console just in front of the shifter. Once the tray is out you'll see a little plastic door about 2"x3". Open the door by releasing the small catch. Reach inside with your finger and in front of the shift mechanism you'll find a small "button", use your finger nail and pull the button out and you can then shift the lever into neutral. Easy Peasy. The release is there for tech's and tow truck people to release the shifter without a key or the battery is dead etc. Because you're not turning on the key, you're not running the battery down. Still follow the 65mph and 6 hour limit. Just start it every 6 hours -max to refill the tailshaft trans fluid reservoir as the manual states.

I also used diodes and hooked up the rear lights to a 4-wire plug attached to our Blue Ox baseplate. Good Luck !
Old 09-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #3

This post regarding the "trick" to towing in neutral is golden & saved us. We are on the road now towing our 2014 Edge Limited & I believe it shares the same drive line as the Explorer. Stopped at a rest stop in Montana & went to cycle toad & wouldn't start. I carry a jump box & cables & neither started it. I had placed in park to start the Edge but since it wouldn't start it wouldn't let me back to neutral to continue down the road. I remembered the above post & was able to put the car in neutral & tow (100 miles) to nearest auto parts store. I installed a new battery & that was almost a week ago & everything is back to normal. We leave to come home this week (1500 miles) & I believe I will tow it home by putting it in neutral this way & leave the ignition off instead af acc position.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing