Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
Could do all that or connect a charge line and just forget it.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #44

I like this better, how long does it beep in the ACC position.
?
mnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:37 AM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my Enclave it will beep until I close the door...and then eventually power down.

I did an experiment totally by accident however. I stopped for the night at a rest stop and tried to decide whether to put the TOAD in park but decided that I might forget to put it back in the morning, so I just disconnected the 6 way from the car.

6 hours later...the TOAD wouldn't start so 8 hours of run time without the charge line will kill the battery just like others have experienced.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:46 PM   #46

New info today from Elkhart (Indiana) Hitch: After we couldn’t get my 2019 Traverse out of park by following the owner’s manual, Mark found a GM technical bulletin from January. Just hold the start button for fifteen seconds and it will go into accessories mode and let you shift into neutral. The bulletin also said you could remove the shifter boot, but that just seems like extra work. Also, no need to pull fuses!
tjc41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #47

Update on my post yesterday: My battery ran down within two hours so that I received a notice from “myChevrolet”. I guess removing the shifter boot is the way to go!
Old 03-04-2020, 02:46 AM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc41 View Post
Update on my post yesterday: My battery ran down within two hours so that I received a notice from “myChevrolet”. I guess removing the shifter boot is the way to go!
The Traverse/Enclave line is really tough on batteries. My Enclave will go close to dead if I sit for a couple of hours in accessory position and listen to the radio!!!!

Put in a diode and a charge line and never have a problem. If you are going to remain connected and overnighting and your tow vehicle always has power to the 7-way, remember to go back to "OFF" on the TOAD!

Can't imagine stopping for fuel and putting fuses back in to run the TOAD engine for a few minutes every 250 miles or so as required to circulate the transmission fluid. Simple to do when stopping with the fuses in!
Old 03-04-2020, 05:24 AM   #49

Quote:
Removing the shifter boot is the easiest way to go in my opinion. Only have to unsnap the boot once because it lays in place very nicely. I have been using this method for more than a year now. Works great. Hook up the tow bar, put the car in park, shut it off, lift the boot, lift the little white lever, pull the shifter to drive and then push it back to neutral without pushing the button on the shifter (then I know it's in neutral), place the boot back into position (but don't snap it down), and you are good to go. The Car is off so there is no battery drain.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #50

How do you remove the shifter boot?
Old 03-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #51

iRV2 No Limits Club
Dinghy about my Traverse

I am just about ready to take delivery of my 2019 Traverse, so I really appreciate all the info on this thread. My plan is to pull it behind my 2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, making the Ford V-10 earn its keep. Any thoughts about the best (or worst) systems I need to keep the Dinghy safely in its place?

I am new to the forums on IRV2, so I apologize in advance if I am not following proper protocols.
travel2dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:00 AM   #52

towing the Traverse (well in our case an Acadia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel2dutch View Post
2019 Traverse, so I really appreciate all the info on this thread. My plan is to pull it behind my 2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, making the Ford V-10 earn its keep. Any thoughts about the best (or worst) systems I need to keep the Dinghy safely in its place?
I've towed our 2016 GMC Acadia (same size as the Traverse) with a Blue Ox baseplate & Avail towbar and using Air force One brake for many thousands of miles without problem (we use switches instead of removing fuses and have no problem with the battery going dead). Sounds like the new Traverse eliminated the need for the switches. The Blue Ox system isn't very noticeable when not being towed. We put all the wiring/air connections behind the license plate.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #53

Quote:
I will post a video as soon as I can format it correctly
Old 03-06-2020, 09:47 AM   #54

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHalifax View Post
Removing the shifter boot is the easiest way to go in my opinion. Only have to unsnap the boot once because it lays in place very nicely. I have been using this method for more than a year now. Works great. Hook up the tow bar, put the car in park, shut it off, lift the boot, lift the little white lever, pull the shifter to drive and then push it back to neutral without pushing the button on the shifter (then I know it's in neutral), place the boot back into position (but don't snap it down), and you are good to go. The Car is off so there is no battery drain.
Took a look at that, however, on an Enclave...there isn't a shifter boot!!! I do know that there is an identical lockout solenoid that prevents shifting out of park and into neutral when the engine is not running. Might be an easy place to drill a small hole to actuate it. Been in there when installing my Invisibrake cylinder but forgot to take pictures. Next time...

It would be nice if possible since it also eliminates running the odometer when towing.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #55

Quote:
I have a video link, I hope it works. Just remember, it's not a professional Video, and I wish I would have vacuumed the car first. Here is the link...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5iy0ps4u3...edium.mov?dl=0
Old 03-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #56

Thanks Dale. That's pretty clear. One problem: I can't get the first clip out; is there a trick to getting the boot removal started?

Ted