Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #1

Flat Towing a Toyota 4Runner SR5

There are fewer toads that can be towed behind a MH and even less if you wish to limit yourself to Toyota or Honda. I have seen the 2011 Toyota 4Runner Model SR5 is equipped with a Manual Transfer Case. North American trucks equipped with a manual transfer case can be towed without any problems. Can someone tell me with assurance that I can tow a Toyota 4Runner SR5 behind a motorhome as long as the Transfer Case is in the Neutral position? I don't have a Shop Manual to verify how the powerflows through the power train. So I don't know for sure if the output shaft of the transmission is going to rotate by inertia. I am concerned about damaging the transmission if the output shaft of the transmission turns while I tow the SR5 behing the motorhome.

Much appreciate any info that would clarify the situation,

Gaetan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check with REMCO they should be able to tell you. I can tell you I have a 96 4Runner 4x4 auto manual transfer case and I had to install a Remco driveshaft disconnect on mine. I also towed a 93 Toyota Pick up 5 speed stick with the manual transfer case. With that I put the transfer case in N and the trans in 5th and towed all over the country with out a problem.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Toyota says NO - towing 4 down will void any warranty coverage on your transmission and transfer case. That doesn't mean it may not work, though. Toyota has always said "no towing".

Remco Towing says to use a drive shaft disconnect on 4WD 4-Runners.

If you want to tow and prefer a Japaneses vehicle, a Honda CRV is my suggestion.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Subaru's with MT are another 4WD candidate and unlike the CRV they don't have a speed restriction nor is there a requirement to periodically run the engine to lube the trannie.
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPat View Post
Subaru's with MT are another 4WD candidate and unlike the CRV they don't have a speed restriction nor is there a requirement to periodically run the engine to lube the trannie.
Would you mind clarifying the meaning of Subaru's with MT? I just don't know what you are telling me.

Thanks,
Old 09-20-2010, 04:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
MT = Manual Transmission
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #7

We have a 2006 Nissan Frontier 4 X 4 V -6 and have towed it over 30,000 miles. It has an electronic transfer case. I was extremely careful in checking before buying it. Never believe what the salesman says. The only limitation on mine is to run the motor 5 minutes after 500 miles. My body can't do that much so it isn't a problem.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You may be pushing your luck, Lindsay. Everything I have read says the Frontier with the electronic transfer case requires a drive shaft disconnect to tow. The manual transfer case is ok. But you seem to be successful, so that's great.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #9

Gary, in 2006 when most companies went to the electronic transfer case, only Nissan and Jeep (which used the Nissan electronic case) were flat towable. It said so in the instruction manual, but I also talked to the factory and the salesman (who wanted the sale) even got the factory technical rep to fax a statement saying it was OK. We were very careful as I had read some stories about problems and total transmission replacements due to bad information. It has worked very well for 30,000 miles.