Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2022, 09:43 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulWil View Post
Cooltech, I think I understand your comment.
How can I tell that my Jeep is waking up?
I suppose it happens each time the running or brake lights operate?
Thanks, Paul
Hi Paul. Yes, if you have the REAR LED lights, I'm certain you have the "problem". In some Wrangler trims, the rear LED lights are packaged with the "Safety Group" and in higher level trims like your Rubicon, they are packaged with the "LED Lighting Package".

And, yes, your assumption is correct. Whenever a rear stop/turn light is activated or a marker light is activated, the Jeep will "wake-up".

I suppose one day someone will have a more simple test - but you can see if your Jeep is awake with the "broomstick" test. With the Jeep on, roll your driver's side window down, turn off the Jeep and exit the Jeep closing the driver's door. Wait 3-4 minutes to insure the Jeep goes into a low-power "sleep state". Reach in through the driver's open window and press down on the Jeep's brake pedal. The rear brake lights will not illuminate because the Jeep is in sleep-state. If you open the door and press on the brake pedal, the rear brake lights WILL work. (Opening the door wakes up the Jeep.)

Next time you are connected to the tow vehicle, you can repeat this test. Verify the Jeep is in Sleep state. Then, turn on the tow vehicles headlights or a turn signal so that the installed TOAD harness will activate the Jeep rear lights. Now, reach in and do the broom test and you will see that the Jeep is awake. In the awake state, the Jeep is going to draw about 3-6 amps.

The good news is that most owners will tow during daylight hours. Each brake or turn signal application will awaken the Jeep, but it will go back to sleep again. In this use case, even several hours of towing will not typically deplete the Jeep's batteries. BUT, if you are towing at night, the installed TOAD harness will keep the Jeep's rear lights illuminated which will keep the Jeep awake... and drawing a fair amount of current.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2022, 10:23 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Cooltech, I think I understand your comment.
How can I tell that my Jeep is waking up?
I suppose it happens each time the running or brake lights operate?
Thanks, Paul
I do have the LED lights on my 2020 Rubicon and care less it wakes up or not. I towed over 10,000 miles and never had a dead battery. I not going to fix or worry about something that isn't broken.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:32 AM   #31

Cooltech, Thanks for the reply on how to check for wakeup. For sure I have not paid enough attention and will have to hook up and do your test. It will be quite a while until I hook up. I will touch base then.
BTW in 2021 with all the goodies I have found a bunch of details mechanically that have changed from 2020. Now I wonder if you have had time to see if the wakeup feature is still the same for the LED lighting like mine? For sure my charging system is very different.

So with the constant low SOC on the Jeep battery and my Patriot using power I am using a battery feed from the coach. A very easy item to add and will avoid any worry about the wakeup feature. Sure glad they discontinued the two small 12v batteries.
Thanks, Paul
2021 JLUR 3.6 etorque
PaulWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:37 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Cooltech, Thanks for the reply on how to check for wakeup. For sure I have not paid enough attention and will have to hook up and do your test. It will be quite a while until I hook up. I will touch base then.
BTW in 2021 with all the goodies I have found a bunch of details mechanically that have changed from 2020. Now I wonder if you have had time to see if the wakeup feature is still the same for the LED lighting like mine? For sure my charging system is very different.

So with the constant low SOC on the Jeep battery and my Patriot using power I am using a battery feed from the coach. A very easy item to add and will avoid any worry about the wakeup feature. Sure glad they discontinued the two small 12v batteries.
Thanks, Paul
2021 JLUR 3.6 etorque
I have a Patriot II and one day and maybe two days and the battery in the Jeep will be dead but that would happen on 2017 Jeep, 2017 GC and 2017 CRV so that not a LED or wake up problem.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I do have the LED lights on my 2020 Rubicon and care less it wakes up or not. I towed over 10,000 miles and never had a dead battery. I not going to fix or worry about something that isn't broken.
Hi, My situation is much deferent than yours. I have multiple 12v loads with key on or off that need a fully charged Jeep battery at all times. Thus a battery feed to keep it charge while traveling.
Regards, PaulW
PaulWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:19 AM   #34
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Well, good for you. But, please know that there are a LOT of cases where people have not been so fortunate. We just helped at someone on 12/27 who was literally stranded in Palm Springs on the first leg of their vacation. I think a combination of a good TOAD charging system and maybe most long-duration towing not done at night has mitigated any issues for you.

However, a charging system is masking the problem but it is not eliminating the problem. Sort of like treating a symptom, but not solving the problem.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:43 PM   #35

I do a lot of night driving and my first trip was 1100 miles with my new set up, next day dead battery---I installed a charge wire at the campground that week in 2019 and never again a dead battery. It was the easiest part of the whole tow install! This was a 2018 JL wrangle 4cly turbo.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:22 PM   #36

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had to test the wake-up thing because like others have said, I've never noticed the battery being drained under tow. My Jeep doesn't do it (2021 JLU). I looked to see if there was a setting that could be changed, but I couldn't find anything. I've also driven plenty at night or while it's raining and the lights are on constantly and have never had a weak or empty battery then either (I use the Curt wiring harness). I do try to start the Jeep each morning before we roll, but I forget that more times than I remember.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:27 PM   #37

Towed my 2021 JL Wrangler with LED light and Curt harness for first time last night. It wakes up when taillights are on. Anyone found an answer to this yet?
Chevyman936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 08:43 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman936 View Post
Towed my 2021 JL Wrangler with LED light and Curt harness for first time last night. It wakes up when taillights are on. Anyone found an answer to this yet?
The cooltech kit is the only real fix.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow