Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #1

Flat Towing an Acadia

I am having my 2009 Acadia set up to flat tow behind my motorhome.

I am using a portable Brake Buddy Vantage Select for the braking system.

My question is, Once the fuse by pass switch is activated and the 50 amp fuse is pulled, will there be power to the 12 volt outlet to which the unit is to be plugged into. If not, does an outlet have to be installed wired directly to the battery?

The place I bought and are installing the base plate and the wiring, don't seem to know the answer to my question. I wouldn't think this is the first one they have done, but they sell SMI Stay and Play systems which are wired direct and I don't think they were very happy I didn't buy their's.

I would appreciate any technical advice anyone can offer.
RVFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing you could do right now is activate the fuse bypass and pull the 50 amp fuse, then check the 12 volt outlet for power.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If it does lose power, it's not too difficult to install an outlet that is direct-wired to the battery power bus for constant power. The battery is under the floor boards in back, but there is alternate access to battery power right behind the underhood fuse box (where you connect cables to "jump start" when needed).

I would also suggest that you install a fuse switch for that 50A circuit rather than pulling the fuse each time you tow. Opening the box and pulling the fuse is kind of a pain.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #4

Thank you Arch and Gary for your replies.
Arch, as you suggested, I will see if I can find out if there is a power loss before I take the car to have it wired, if there is, I can have them install a direct outlet as Gary has suggested.

Gary - I did say Hi to Jay for you. He never suggested a 50 A fuse switch. He said they install a taller 50 A fuse that is easier to pull out.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I got the taller fuse and that was indeed easier, but soon replaced that with a switch. Images attached.

The blue oval highlights the 50A fuse in the switch circuit, green is the switch itself (50A rated), and the yellow is the spade terminals pressed into the fuse slot female contacts. This was a 2007 Acadia, so yours may differ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acadia Fuse switch (Small-annotated).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	149647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse switch diagram.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	149648  

Old 01-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #6

Hi Gary - Thanks for the detailed info of the 50 amp switch. My 2009 doesn't look any different than your 07.

Is the switch assembly something you made or did you buy it ? If you purchased it, I sure would be interested in knowing where.

Thanks again for the information.

Fred
Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #7

Blue Ox BX88274 Fuse Bypass Switch, i purchased one and it works great for my Acadia
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #8

Thank you for the information mmartin. I do appreciate you providing the part number. They are a bit pricey, but I think it's well worth the aggravation of having to pull the fuse each time.

Thanks again
Fred
Old 01-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I made it - simple enough to get parts at an NAPA auto store or Grainger Supply. My local NAPA store ordered the 50A rated switch for me (overnight).

You can get a pre-made Fuse Switch from RV Parts Plus. You would need the High Amp version.
https://www.rv-partsplus.com/rving-fuseswitch
Old 01-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFred View Post
but they sell SMI Stay and Play systems which are wired direct and I don't think they were very happy I didn't buy their's.

I would appreciate any technical advice anyone can offer.
I would have purchased the SMI Stay & Play. Great company, great customer service and simple to hook up.
I have the Air Force 1 system on my Colorado and love it's simplicity and warranty.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #11

Thanks Gary. I went "wild and crazy" and bought one. I researched the Blue Ox part number provided be mmartin and found the cheapest one at Camping Connections here in Florida. According to the "Tracking" it should be here tomorrow.

Thanks again for putting me onto the concept. I didn't like the idea of having to dingle around with the fuse.

Fred
Old 01-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #12

I know the SMI is the ultimate, but I didn't want anything that was a permanent install. We are not sure how long we will be keeping this car, so I was not about to spend that kind of money. I got a Brake Buddy (new in the box) from my neighbor for $600.00.

Tags
tow, towing