Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #1

Flat Towing equipment?

I have a 2011 Winnebago Vista, and a 2012 Ford Edge that I want to tow. I have researched that the Edge is capable of towing four wheels down, and I see there are many manufacturers that make tow bars. I am curious of your thoughts of the best equipment to purchase, and what all I might need to make sure I do this correctly. Any help will be much appreciated.
ptschlep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The big three are Blue Ox, Roadmaster and Demco and all make excellent products. I changed from Roadmaster to Blue Ox tow bars in 2006 and have been very pleased. I use an Aventa LX towbar and matching base plates. The toad brake is a Brakemaster by Roadmaster.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The big three are Blue Ox, Roadmaster and Demco and all make excellent products. I changed from Roadmaster to Blue Ox tow bars in 2006 and have been very pleased. I use an Aventa LX towbar and matching base plates. The toad brake is a Brakemaster by Roadmaster.
Much like me. I was using an Ambassador Blue Ox with my Jeep Wrangler but changed to the heavy duty Aventa LX with my Silverado 4x4. I also added the Roadmaster Brakemaster to the new toad and this setup seems to be very good.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #4

I tow an Edge with Blue Ox equipment (the Aventa bar was chosen because it has a 10,000 lb. rating).

However, the Edge base plate has fairly high attachment points so, depending how high off the ground the puller's receiver is, a drop/raise adapter might be required (as mine does).

The Edge is actually pretty heavy so expect to feel it when towing and always use an auxillary braking system (I use an Even Brake). Installing a Toad-Charge and independent brake/stop/tail lights are also good ideas.

Finally, make sure you turn the key all the way back after all preps are made and the Edge is in neutral.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do not consider the Demco Aluminator. It has been discontinued and there are very few replacement parts available. There are still some new ones available but stay away.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The two big names in tow bars are Blue-Ox and Roadmaster.. As to which is better. That is a very tough call. Near as I can tell they are both very high quality. I happen to have Blue OX,, why, because that is what my dealer carries.

There is one other product line you might consider.. The Ready Brute tow bar with Ready brake.. More on that in a second.

You also need some kind of tow light system. Here you have 3 basic options.

Add a light (bar or whatever) very messy and not easy to use)

Add a bulb (If there is room in the Focus' tail light sockets this is good) this adds another tail/stop/turn lamp that is 100% run off the RV You drill a hole in the light socket (Back side) and snap it in.

Diode set: The most common way. I'd actually prefer this method I think.

Now, you need towed brakes.. Don't worry about "Does this state or that have a law" Worry about the man you rear end if you don't have them having taken physics in college and understanding just how important they can be. (I would ask for oh, perhaps a million fore each person in my RV if you rear ended me)

I will discuss several systems and why I like/don't like them

Break Buddy, Even Brake, Apolo, and other "System in a box". these need to be installed every time you tow, removed and stored every time you drive. Subject to "Growing legs" if you leave them outside, mistakes on each install, lot of work and easy to say "the heck with it" for a short trip.. I don't recommend them. Oh they also eat battery power off the towed.

M&G.. This is an Air over Hydraulic system.. Only fits selected cars.. I do not know if it will fit the focus. However for the cars it fits it addresses every concern I have. it is 100% transparent to the driver of the car when not being towed, It is installed, and after that all you have to do is ... Crank her up. Air powered, no electricity.

Air force one: Fits cars M&G does not, I'm not as up on this system as I should be for this post but near as I can figure out it's like 99% transparent (There is a part you can see if you look for it but if you don't look and do now wear size 13 gunboats you won't know it's there.. Yes. I wear 13's) Air powered no electricity.

US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator also the Invisi-Brake by, I think Roadmaster.

These systems are like the Air Force 1, 99% invisible to driver BOTH Though they are electricity/hydraulic systems they provide a way to keep the towed's battery charged. the Invisi-brake also requires NO HOOKUP..NONE, once installed it draws re-charge power off the tail light circuit (From the coach, you drive with headlights on for safety after all) and control power off the stop/turn leads. This is almost perfect.

The US gear system has a tie line from the Coach battery to the towed (Protected by circuit breakers both ends) and a control line from a controller in the MH cockpit. This gives the driver full control of the towed's brakes either automatically (Set the gain and when you stop the MH it stops the towed) or manually (You can set the towed brakes from the driver's seat without setting the MH brakes) NOTE: This can be very handy.. I once hooked up on a slight downhill incline.. I simply locked the towed's brakes and let the MH roll slowly forward to extend the tow bars, once they locked I released the Towed brakes and off we drove.

Finally the Ready Brake... I mentioned this under tow bars.

This is a surge brake system.. As the Towed car presses against the motor home when stopping an araingment of levers and cables pulls on the towed brake pedal stopping it. Since the pull is purportional to the pressure it compensates for vacuum boost gain (as you use it this is reduced) an it is progressive and auto adjusting porportional as well (The harder you brake, and it only brakes hard enough)

IT is also 99% transparent to a driver of the car (only the pedal arm bracket is visible) as the two systems above. Er. 3 systems above.

Tags
towing