Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:13 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Agree that a tangled actuator cable must be very rare. If it is set up correctly initially and the tow arms are fully extended prior to attaching the cable it is virtually impossible for the cable to get tangled. I can see that thereís an opportunity for the cable to be caught on something if it is attached prior to the arms being fully extended.
I installed a light on my dash that is hooked to the toad brake pedal so I know when itís brakes are actuated. Just an extra peace of mind
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2022, 08:54 AM   #16

It might be worth looking into a Demco car dolly if your a little closer to 60 yrs rather than 70- We bought a used Demco for $2000 with surge disk brakes all galvanized, Drive on very easy strap down very easy-NOW if you 70 yrs old and your body is like mine maybe 4 down but spend big money to get the best one- lots of junk out there (used I mean) - and the resale is almost always what you paid, Done Rving twice and restarted twice so been there done that-On some cars hooking up 4 down requires taking alot of the front end of car off to mount it correctly, so dealers should do it so it is right-Just my 1 cents opinion Rich
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:18 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Another vote for flat towing and the ReadyBrake system.

Simple, quick, no electricity needed, progressive braking, reliable and best of all, cheaper than the others.

You can use the other base plates as well.

I wired a little plug to my toad brake light switch and set a LED brake light on the dash facing my rear view camera. That way I can see when the brakes are being applied. Works for me.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:00 AM   #18

I have used tow dollies in the past, just not for RVing.

I manly flat tow, or now, will sometimes use my car trailer. It depends upon where we are going and what we want to drive when we get there.

I did meet a guy last spring who was using a car dolly and was thinking about switching to flat tow. He stopped over to ask me about how my flat tow set up worked.

I asked why he was thinking about changing; he said the issue he was running into was his knees. 10 years of using the dolly and now he was in his 70s and everything with the dolly is 6 inches off the ground. It was really starting to hurt.

When he watched me disconnect my Wrangler, he liked that everything was at my knee height.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:09 AM   #19

Another vote for NSA, in this case a Hercules. Simple and easy. In my case I will run a charge wire for the battery because I don't want to keep going under the hood every time I unhook. Roadmaster makes a diode that will keep the toad battery from backfeeding the coach. Two arms, two cables, two safety cables and the umbilical to hook up. It doesn't get much easier and I have never pumped down the brakes. Why? It's just the vacuum assist that you lose, the brakes still work. I will say that you need to ensure that the brake cable is adjusted properly or you will not do your brakes any favors, but it's pretty easy, just make sure you have the proper amount of slack. BTW I always recommend getting a steel tow bar no mater what brand, they don't work harden like aluminum does. As far as as dolly goes, think about hooking on up in the rain, no thanks. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, towing