Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2022, 02:20 PM   #1

Flat towing or dolly?

Hello, we have a 2009 Gulfstream F450 - 28ft motorhome and are looking at towing a small vehicle. Do you know of any 2022 vehicles that can be flat towed? We can't seem to find a vehicle that can be flat towed without voiding the warranty. What is better, a dolly or a Blue Ox system? Sorry, new at this and looking for some advice!
GigiPla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2022, 02:38 PM   #2

Does it have to be a 2022?
The farther you go back, the more selection you’ll find that can be flat towed because of their older transmission designs.
Besides…..a toad will get some stone chips, so do you really want brand new?

Scroll down to view each year…..

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:57 PM   #3

Roughly $3-5000.00 to setup a tow. Worth it to tow 4 down vs a dolly that I have to store when camping or at home. Have the Roadmaster tow bar ,Airfoce One braking system on a 2014 CRV and has been great. Everything worked fine when we hit a truck at 55 as he crossed in front of me. No damage to tow bar, car or coach.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:02 PM   #4

I'm in the process of converting over from a dolly tow setup to towing 4-down. Wrestling that tow dolly during my last trip about did me in. It's heavy and time and labor intensive to hook/unhook. Plus, I can never seem to keep the straps on tight. I'm leaning toward a RVI 3 Brake system but haven't made my final decision yet.
Revconguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:10 PM   #5

We always Flat tow. Don't want to mess with a dolly.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:14 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum!!

I did not want to dolly tow my small front wheel drive SUV so just purchased a new 2021 Chevy Equinox LT AWD SUV based on new, SUV < 3500 lb curb weight and reasonably low price. Downloaded the owner's manual and confirmed it can be flat towed.

Quoted $5000-6000 by one rv company and $4200-4500 from another to install a Blue Ox tow system with RVi Brake (portable or permanently installed).

Find flat towable vehicles in the link below.

https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorh...yGuide2020.pdf
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:35 PM   #7

Thank you for the info!
Old 01-27-2022, 04:52 PM   #8

IMO - get a Jeep Wrangler as a toad (automatic), will go most anywhere you might want to go. Easy to set up for towing. Look at the NSA Ready Brute Elite brake/tow-bar. Works great. We use a Roadmaster base plate.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #9

Thank you! It's an option for sure!
Old 01-27-2022, 07:12 PM   #10

Don't buy any towbar or braking system without first checking out the Ready Brute Elite, RBE 2 or Hercules from NSA. Do a google search. Watch the videos. Read hundreds of Amazon reviews. Call them and ask about their lifetime warranty. Search this forum and read the reviews.

Don't get sucked in to the popular names or the fancy gizmos. Look at the NSA product before buying anything else. Half the price of most other systems and twice as reliable.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on NSA products. I have had the Hercules for a couple years and itís a great product
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
X2 on NSA products. I have had the Hercules for a couple years and itís a great product
Yep. Besides being incredibly reliable and truly progressive and foolproof and no need for a toad charging cable the other great thing is the price. A brand new Ready Brute Elite 2 is $875. A complete Ready Stop breakaway system is $105. Most wiring systems are under $75 depending on vehicle.

The complete towbar with braking system, emergency breakaway system and lighting system is barely over $1000. $100 for the clevis connector. Baseplates are around $400. So for about $1500+/- you have a great system that is simple, reliable, progressive and fool proof.

Installation for most vehicles is simple.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:39 AM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot
... and foolproof and no need for a toad charging cable ...
That may be a bit of an exaggeration.

I've read posts from several people who have had the cable hang up and caused the car's brakes to drag. Don't you also need to "pump down" the vacuum stored in the vehicle's power brake reservoir prior to towing or the NSA ReadyBrake will lock the wheels up the first few times the brakes are applied?

If so, and if you tow a vehicle that needs to have its engine run periodically then you need to "pump down" the brakes after each engine run or you risk flat-spotting the vehicle's tires.

Yes, the number of people I've read posts from who are dissatisfied with the NSA could be counted on one hand.

Any need for a charging cable may be dictated by the type of vehicle being towed, not just the type of braking system.

Ray
Old 01-28-2022, 03:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
That may be a bit of an exaggeration.

I've read posts from several people who have had the cable hang up and caused the car's brakes to drag. Don't you also need to "pump down" the vacuum stored in the vehicle's power brake reservoir prior to towing or the NSA ReadyBrake will lock the wheels up the first few times the brakes are applied?

If so, and if you tow a vehicle that needs to have its engine run periodically then you need to "pump down" the brakes after each engine run or you risk flat-spotting the vehicle's tires.

Yes, the number of people I've read posts from who are dissatisfied with the NSA could be counted on one hand.

Any need for a charging cable may be dictated by the type of vehicle being towed, not just the type of braking system.

Ray
No, there is no need to pump down the brakes. Not ever and not on any vehicle. The system is progressive. If the booster is full the cable only gives a slight tug to actuate the brakes. Once the booster empties the cable will provide a more definite tug to actuate the brakes. The system only applies enough brakes to eliminate the forward momentum of the toad. The amount of pedal pressure required is irrelevent.

Nothing on the NSA system requires power. If your vehicle requires the key to be left on in an accessory position so the steering wheel doesn't lock then a battery disconnect would be a better option than a charge wire.

If the actuator cable is not installed correctly and adjusted properly when first installed I suppose it could get tangled. But that is very rare. I haven't read of that happening even once in the 5 years I've owned a RBE and been a member here. It's not much different than improper installation or hook up of the safety cables or air lines or umbilical cord. If you don't hook them up correctly you could have a problem with them.

Tags
dolly, tow, towing