Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #1

Flat Towing vs. Dolly Towing

Hi,

Is there a benefit as far as flat towing vs. Dolly Towing behind my motorhome? Weight, strain on the motorhome, etc.?

I have a gasser...

Thanks in advance!
Ducksquasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 10:38 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!!

Here is a link to some of the previous discussions on this topics.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22F...=12&gws_rd=ssl
Old 02-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A dolly could add about 500 pounds to the tow weight and flat towing about 100 lbs (baseplate, tow bar, brakes). You can use a tow dolly on multiple cars, without adaptation, whereas flat towing requires a vehicle specific baseplate (around $450 plus installation labor costs). You may need to store the dolly offsite, when not being used to tow.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would first look at your current vehicle to see if it could be flat towed or do you need to use a dolly. I prefer a flat tow as it is simply easier for me. As far as the towing goes I don't see an advantage of one over another unless you have two front wheel drive cars and want to switch them out for different trips. Otherwise between the dolly and magnetic lights and the tow bar, installed towed mounts and lighting kit you might be close in cost.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #5

You don't have to alter the front of the car with a dolly.

4 down involves cutting holes in the front trim. The added baseplate may also effect the safety airbag system.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I started out using a dolly. I stored the dolly on the lower side of my drive. I had to pull and tug to get it hooked up. By the time I got the car loaded I needed a shower again. I did lower body damage to my car with the dolly. I do not like a tow dolly!
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman5145 View Post
I started out using a dolly. I stored the dolly on the lower side of my drive. I had to pull and tug to get it hooked up. By the time I got the car loaded I needed a shower again. I did lower body damage to my car with the dolly. I do not like a tow dolly!
If you go the Dolly route, check the width

Narrow units definitely can contact the vehicle on tight turns

I can turn with the escape and Stehl at 60 degrees
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #8

If you have one newer car and plan on keeping it for a while maybe 4 down is OK for you BUT if you have more than one front wheel and/or are planning to get a new car every other year, you will have an added expense mounting the tow bar on each new car--all this being said everyone has different needs and you have to figure what fits you-- we have 2 different cars that go on a tow dolly-we prefer the Demco tow dolly with surge brakes and the added front wheel so I can move it around at our campsites, we have never had a problem storing it at campsites, we just disconnect and roll it onto the site then back the MH in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3550 (1).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	235268  
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #9

If you have one newer car and plan on keeping it for a while maybe 4 down is OK for you BUT if you have more than one front wheel and/or are planning to get a new car every other year, you will have an added expense mounting the tow bar on each new car--all this being said everyone has different needs and you have to figure what fits you-- we have 2 different cars that go on a tow dolly-we prefer the Demco tow dolly with surge brakes and the added front wheel so I can move it around at our campsites, we have never had a problem storing it at campsites, we just disconnect and roll it onto the site then back the MH in
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #10

Here is a link to a similar thread that may provide some information also, and there are others.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/dolly...ng-430237.html

We have a dolly, but I have more confidence in 4 down and nearly always tow that way, just my personal preference.

Our current toad is a Geo Tracker. We towed it with a diesel TC for years, and with a 26' 454 powered Flair for the last 3 years without any problems. We tow around 8-10k miles per year coast to coast.

Best of luck with whatever you do.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have been using a hauler trailer since 2009..this week we purchased a another car that is 4 down towable, our current one is as well, but we wanted a smaller setup.
so in coming months i plan to document the heck out of it, because we can load the trailer in 20 minutes ready to go all loaded up
so flat towing...can we do 20 mins safely?

still keeping the trailer, and the big suv (expedition)

wear and tear on towed on ground versus up on a trailer.
so its a new learning experience, i look forward to
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #12

It's just my opinion, but I would think I could connect a tow bar to a ball hitch faster than anyone could retrieve a trailer and connect it to a ball hitch, place ramps to load a car, run the car onto the trailer, secure the car on the trailer, and store the ramps. Of course if the tow bar isn't already attached to the car, as many are, using a 4 down approach would also require retrieving it and making those connections too. I can't imagine how a car on a trailer would be a faster system to connect.

On the other hand, and another opinion, trailering provides the most versatility of all because none of the toad wheels are on the ground, and a trailer has many other uses. They are handy things to have, if there is room to store them. Years ago I trailered a car from OR to WV for my mom behind our TC using a friends trailer. It was pretty simple, just run it up on the trailer and lash it down.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
so flat towing...can we do 20 mins safely?
No, you can easily do it in 5 min.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Well we started with small Honda Civic, worked great. Than transmission went. Its not cheep to put it on another vehical. I wont do that again. Dolly for me next time
Satch46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, towing