Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
No, you can easily do it in 5 min.
thats the wifes idea as well,

but still pull rv out of spot, bring car around, hook up car, chains wiring. Put brake thing in, plug it in, set it. double check car is in neutral and parking brake is off, mirror folded.
one more walk around to ensure pins are in, do brake light check and brake check...pull forward to ensure tow bar locks in extended position, stop, get out , go back and check it.

i think 5 minutes is optimistic , 10-12 may be real world.
first few times i bet its 30 minutes
we generally never get in a rush to move on or hook up, if its an emergency we each get a vehicle
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 05:56 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here are some of the problems I have encountered with a tow dolly

Raining and the tires spun getting onto the pivot plate. The front bumper cover was against the fender. Small scratch on the bumper cover.

Unloaded in a campground with a dirt road that was slightly unlevel. Bumper cover hung on the pivot plate. I did not see what was happening until it was too late. I almost tore the cover off.

Dolly is 101" wide, same as MH, except the MH has 2 tires on the rear and on narrow crooked roads that little 14" tire on the dolly wants to go off the edge of the road. It also seems to find every pot hole near the edge as well.

You need to stop after about 50 shake down miles to tighten straps on tires.

I have to get on my knees to pull the pin on the ramps. After a farm accident I can't get down on my left knee.

When you hook up and unhook the dolly you have to pull it by hand. On level ground that is no problem. Have a slight grade, say 1' of drop in 8', and you will know what 500 lbs feels like. At 90+ degrees it becomes pure misery.

I could keep on, but I won't. The cost is a little more to tow 4 down, but to me it is worth it. If I had to go back to using a dolly i would either not take a car and rent one or have the DW drive it. I HATE A DOLLY!
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We've stayed in many CGs that do not have storage for a trailer in addition to a tow car.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I started with a dolly, but went to four down.

The later is much better for me. I did not like driving it up the ramp, and then getting on the ground to put the straps on, etc.

JMHO

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #19

Which does this fall under...flat or dolly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Studio_20190219_183625.png
Views:	69
Size:	893.5 KB
ID:	235487  
Mr Nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman5145 View Post
Here are some of the problems I have encountered with a tow dolly

Raining and the tires spun getting onto the pivot plate. The front bumper cover was against the fender. Small scratch on the bumper cover.

Unloaded in a campground with a dirt road that was slightly unlevel. Bumper cover hung on the pivot plate. I did not see what was happening until it was too late. I almost tore the cover off.

Dolly is 101" wide, same as MH, except the MH has 2 tires on the rear and on narrow crooked roads that little 14" tire on the dolly wants to go off the edge of the road. It also seems to find every pot hole near the edge as well.

You need to stop after about 50 shake down miles to tighten straps on tires.

I have to get on my knees to pull the pin on the ramps. After a farm accident I can't get down on my left knee.

When you hook up and unhook the dolly you have to pull it by hand. On level ground that is no problem. Have a slight grade, say 1' of drop in 8', and you will know what 500 lbs feels like. At 90+ degrees it becomes pure misery.

I could keep on, but I won't. The cost is a little more to tow 4 down, but to me it is worth it. If I had to go back to using a dolly i would either not take a car and rent one or have the DW drive it. I HATE A DOLLY!
Exactly if a had to use a dolly i would not bring the car, I'd rent one or Uber.
With four down connect in 2 min or 20 minutes on dolly plus constantly checking or retightening straps. Save your sanity go four down.
ferg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksquasher View Post
Hi,

Is there a benefit as far as flat towing vs. Dolly Towing behind my motorhome? Weight, strain on the motorhome, etc.?

I have a gasser...

Thanks in advance!
I tow a Mini Cooper S, 4 down. Based in Ohio I save the cost of license and maintenance on a dolly, plus finding a place to park it at a campground. I've had no issues to date, but I am adding a brake system even though it weighs about 2200 lb. Just to be legal.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #22

Can't imagine fussing with a dolly, 4-down is so quick and easy.

-Kevin
Old 02-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post

but still pull rv out of spot, bring car around, hook up car, chains wiring. Put brake thing in, plug it in, set it. double check car is in neutral and parking brake is off, mirror folded.
one more walk around to ensure pins are in, do brake light check and brake check...pull forward to ensure tow bar locks in extended position, stop, get out , go back and check it.

we generally never get in a rush to move on or hook up, if its an emergency we each get a vehicle
I’ve been towing 4 down for 16 years, and 5 minutes is about right. All the stuff you list above is way overblown. The “brake thing” can be permantly installed, after which you never need to touch it again. Some of that stuff does not need to be done, some needs done only occasionally, and most of those items can be done in seconds.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #24

I alternate depending on where we are going and for how long. A dolly is pretty handy in that you can change cars/trucks and not have the expense of transferring the systems.

Should you go with a Dolly then a good one and a wide one is a must or you might not be happy.

As far as the additional load I cant tell any difference between the Dolly/Escape or F150

With the Stehl you only have one pin and if you go dolly use the double straps as the singles tend to come loose much easier. Tread tape takes care of the wet surfaces on the loading dolly ramp surface

Just by observation it seems there are more 4 down now than in the past
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post

You doing redundant checks as illustrated above is the time kill, not necessary. I do a simple visual check before I move to the next task and never go back. The light check is the last physical task and the tow bar locking I can see from the coach driver seat.

-Kevin
Old 02-28-2019, 11:28 AM   #26

I think double checking is a personal preference "comfort" thing. I usually do some of that too. I've even stopped down the road a short distance to check again to be certain all is well and that I didn't forget anything, and sometimes I have---like freeing the toad steering wheel. In my opinion whatever time it takes to be certain all is well before starting is time well spent, regardless of what tow system is used. I've never timed myself, I figure it takes whatever it takes, what difference does it make anyway?

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nuck View Post
Which does this fall under...flat or dolly?
is that a single axle trailer under that car ? it seems so low the rear wheels might touch ground going up driveways ?
Old 02-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #28

Dolly user here

I have an American Car Dolly brand. Widest fender to fender width and has removeable ramps. Light enough to move by myself and very well built. Big plus it has option to have a brake controller that works for the brake light wiring so no need to have a brake controller installed in the coach. Manufacturer delivers and goes through loading procedures etc. Great customer support. Would recommend this dolly to anyone.
Home | American Car Dolly
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, towing