Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #1

Flat Towing vs Trailer

Does anyone use a trailer to tow their toad rather that flat towing. I don't plan to take cross country trips (only one to get to Alabama) so I don't want to invest all the money into a Blue Ox towing system with the Air Force One brake system. Can anyone let me know the pro's and con's of using a trailer, say a U-Haul rental.

Thanks,
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
For a one time move, the trailer would certainly be the most economical. You might be pushing your weight limit but, you're doing it once.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
For a one time move, the trailer would certainly be the most economical. You might be pushing your weight limit but, you're doing it once.

I agree, it it's only a one-time thing then just rent a tow-dolly from U-Haul or some other rental company.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #4

For all the trouble dealing with the trailer at the other end, I would rent a car before a trailer. Camp sites are only so long. The overflow parking is usually kinda far from the camp sites.

I guess it would depend on how often you are talking about.
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #5

Since I'm pretty new to the Class A Motor Home thing, when you say pushing my weight limit, does that include trailer, and car combined. Do you have to know what the weight limit might be for my class A with the cummins 8.3 engine in it? My Liberty is a little over 4900 lbs and I have hitch mounted carrier on it with my wife's mobility scooter on it. I would think combined weight of car & carrier & scooter is around 5200-5300lbs.
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing