Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #1

Flat towing vs Trailer towing

Guys/Gals, I have a question. Was looking at flat towing behind our 05 Discovery. I bought all the stuff for the jeep last month but was unable to do it because the base plate didnt work with the aftermarket bumper. So, we loaded it on our 24ft aluminum trailer and headed out. Well, we traded it in last night on a 2016 Ford Explorer and was looking at base plates for it this morning and its a very extensive process to put one on, plus all the other wiring involved. SO, any benefit to flat towing vs putting it on our all aluminum trailer? Trailer weighs 1450 and the Explorer is 4900.
The Wrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #2

I can certainly appreciate your question having just set up my F-350 for flat towing this past weekend. That was a lot of work. I will leave feedback on the towing capacity and weights to others who are more familiar with your coach. The biggest challenge you will face it what to do with the trailer once you arrive at your destination. Some places only allow one vehicle per site and have designated locations for trailer storage. Others even charge a daily fee for trailer storage. There is nothing wrong with a enclosed trailer carrying your vehicle, just one more thing you have to contend with in considering your destination.
jalewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #3

Without details about the rig doing the towing, I will stay away from weight related topics. Trailering your car can be a positive for a number of reasons:

1. No need to set up baseplate, braking and lights on Toad.
2. You can likely back up if you need to.
3. If Toad breaks down you can trailer it home.

There are a few cons:

1. Where to put the trailer at campsite.
2. License and insurance on one more thing.
3. Increased length.
4. Time to prep and then unload, plus places to unload.

We have done both, but with a short and lightweight aluminum trailer. We currently flat tow our Wrangler Unlimited.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #4

Its a lot of work when you prepare a toad to be flat towed. Then every time you tow it, it is very little work.

With a trailer or tow dolly, there is no preparation but it is a lot of work every time you tow it.

Pick your poison.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I towed a trailer for 9 years exclusively and intermittently for the last 6 years when I got a vehicle to flat tow. I rarely have a problem finding room for the trailer. My two combinations are the same overall length so I always asked for a 56 ft long pull through.
It takes a little more time to hook up the trailer if it's not already attached, otherwise they are about the same. A trailer will add to your overall maintenance schedule. I much prefer towing the trailer.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #6

Most of the places we’ve been don’t have the space for the rig & a trailer , some do , but most I’ve seen don’t .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #7

When we were deciding on how to handle towing we asked ourselves if we were prepared to take the time each time to do whatever method of hookup. With a dolly I figured if I were good I could get everything tied down in 30 minutes from moving the car on to driving away. A trailer would be similar but I can get the car hooked up and going down the road in 5 minutes flat towing so that won out.

I didn't try wiring the car for lights. We use a portable remote operated light from Tow Mate https://www.amazon.com/Lime-Light-Wi...gateway&sr=8-2 to save us that hassle.

We have a surge break cable that I did install into the car that goes to the brake pedal for stopping. I think you'd have to do something like that anyway.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:01 AM   #8

Sorry yall, I should have been more specific. The MH is a 2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39J with 330hp cat. It has plenty of power to do the job. The trailer is something we have anyways so the added maintenance and costs asociated with it are moot. I see the issue with places to stay hauling a trailer, but we dont full time so I "think" we could easily plan ahead for that, but I could be wrong. I like the idea of not cutting up my toad to install the base plate, but I do like the ease of hooking and unhooking. However, after spending all day thinking and reading about this I think the trailer will be the route since my wife has always wanted a golf cart. we could use the trailer to haul both.
The Wrens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, trailer