Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
I recall seeing a device offered years ago that could control the towed vehicles accelerator from the cab of the MH. That would allow the toad to assist over large hills.

What was that thing called?

Anyway, I would guess that the toad had to be running and in Drive in order for that to work.....
Wasn't that the little Ronco dumpling that when paired with the Toyota's with alleged run-away throttles, ahh...What could possibly go wrong?
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I hate to be the cold water in this, but I suspect if you looked into it, it's illegal to have a running vehicle going down the road with nobody behind the wheel.

There's some quirky wording in various jurisdictions laws, for instance in my home Province of Ontario, a drunk asleep in the backseat with the keys in his pocket is still breaking the law. He is deemed to have "care and control of a motor vehicle". If he locked the keys in the trunk first he'd be fine.
Going to be interesting when all the self driving cars hit the road.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #17

Well Bill,
It's your car/truck/etc., whatever a Ridgeline is classified as so, if you choose to "idle" it across America, it's your choice. The first answer I'd give here is, just trade it in or sell it and buy toad that's flat towable, from the factory, DONE!

The second answer is, while you might say that, "why should it stop, if you've got gas in the car?" Well, you'd have no clue that it did stop running if it did. You could be towing it for quite a while with a dead engine and therefore, no fluids are lubing ANYTHING. Can today's engines just "stop"? Sure they can. How often does something like that happen out of the blue? Not a clue but, it CAN happen. It also can loose a belt, blow a radiator hose, pickup something off the road, have the check engine light come on worse, "Stop Engine" light (for some reason that you'd not be there to see) and, it might self shut down.

Personally, I wouldn't do it if I was paid to. But, then again, we've always purchased toads/cars/trucks/Jeeps BECAUSE they were flat towable if, IF, they were going to be towed in the first place. To me, it makes more common sense to purchase a toad that the manufacturer designed to be flat towed or, at least, designed provisions for it to be towed by and RV.

But, this is a matter of personal choice. If idling your toad is your choice, good luck and hopefully nothing happens to it while you're towing it. That would not be cool.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
?..... car/truck/etc., whatever a Ridgeline is classified as.......

I think the funniest description of a Ridgeline came from my 'dyed in the wool' GM fan buddy.......

He calls them 'Half-alanches'. ;-p
Old 06-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Going to be interesting when all the self driving cars hit the road.

A different animal altogether. At least here, there has to be a licensed driver behind the wheel and ready to resume driving at any times.

No different than my airplane, trimming it up and flying 'hands off', or handing over the controls to a totally untrained passenger is perfectly legal, as long as I'm able to take the controls back if needed.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #20

Quote:
a drunk asleep in the backseat with the keys in his pocket is still breaking the law. He is deemed to have "care and control of a motor vehicle". If he locked the keys in the trunk first he'd be fine.
He might be fine but he'd still have to walk home.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #21

Meh, there's always road service....... LOL.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:13 PM   #22

Quote:
I think the funniest description of a Ridgeline came from my 'dyed in the wool' GM fan buddy.......

He calls them 'Half-alanches'. ;-p
You and Mr. Fire Up are bit condescending donít you think?
Muleroper
Old 10-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #23

At idle not all fuel is burnt....raw fuel washes cylinder walls removing any oil residue which will cause increased wear/tear on piston rings/cylinder walls

Carbon build up on valve seats, guides etc

Raw fuel can also leak past pistons rings and dilute oil

Other then a rental I would NOT idle gas or diesel engine any longer then needed........like 3-5 minutes

But it is YOUR vehicle..idle away if you think its worth it.

As for 'truckers'.........idling might be due to lack of APUs which means no A/C or HEAT in sleeper cabs if engine is shut off.

OR -20*F temps .
Hate having to use ether to start a diesel in COLD weather
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:06 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
condescension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleroper View Post
Muleroper
Yeah I've noticed that happens on here. Just something to live with I guess. Thanks for the support!
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and 2018 Jeep Sahara. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleroper View Post
Muleroper
obviously I'm missing something. Scott brings up some good points, and the above is a little humor. Looks like you're WAY over sensitive.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
Arch, that's actually a very good question. Maybe the best one that has come up. It's worth checking out since that's why many of those that do allow 4WT tell you to put it in park.

Maybe some of those out there who have tried it with an automatic transmission can give us some thoughts or just cover how long they've done it safely.

When you think of how a car "normally" operates it only coasts downhill when it's in drive usually. (so does that mean I leave it in drive? LOL)
Guys, I have a 2004 Ford F3 50 Dooley crew cab pick up 4 x 4. Anyone familiar with this particular truck knows that with an automatic or electric controlled transfer case ford recommends it cannot be towed four down or flat towed. I have gotten around this issue for the past three years by towing this truck behind my coach for at lease three thousand miles by leaving it running in neutral while it's being towed.
The question of does the transmission get the proper lubrication while in neutral? Yes it does and that is why two it this way.
Fuel burn is hardly a concern and as an example, A trip from Fayetteville North Carolina to Jersey City New Jersey only burned 2 gallons of Diesel in the truck. With just the normal annual service I have not had any problems out of my truck, eng or transmission.

One day I hope to have a large enough trailer for the truck before I take coast to coast trip.

Thank you for bringing the subject up, now I don't feel so much like the Lonewolf.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:39 AM   #27

I'm not going to worry about that, personally. If they can hear the car engine running over the sound of the Cummins tailpipe right next to it, well, more power to them.... I guess that is what they really want. Sorry...pretty sure you won't have the problem here in Montana.
2004 Monaco DST 40'-Cummins 330ISC/Onan 7.5K Quiet Diesel Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin 760MLT/WeBoost 4Gx-OTR/EEZ Tire Monitor/ReadyBrake->Roadmaster All Terrain->'21 Gladiator Willys EcoDiesel-17K Wh LFP BigBatt-/RO-100G/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #28

About a year ago, we started towing an inherited Chev. Equinox.

A couple of weeks ago, after a long day of towing, I stopped at a Walmart for fuel. I went to the Equinox to let it run while I got gas.

The battery was dead! I jumped it from a battery pack and decided to tow it, with the engine running, to the Automotive Department to have the original battery replaced.

As I pulled away from the pumps, I noticed that the front wheels were NOT turning to follow the RV. They never did turn to follow the RV. I ended up pulling the front end of the Equinox sideways around corners.

Doing further research, after I got home, I found that Electric Power Steering (EPS) is designed ASSIST the movement induced by the Steering Wheel DOWN to the front wheels.

EPS is also designed NOT to transmit the forces induced by the front wheels UP to the Steering Wheel. That way, if you hit a pot-hole or a curb, the steering wheel will not be ripped from your hands.

The bottom line is that, with MY Equinox, the front wheels will not turn to track the RV with the key ON and/or the engine running.

Tim

By-the-way: A new battery solved the non-starting problem.
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, toad, tow, towing