Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #1

Ford 4x4 NTK with 2 down ok?

In a 2008 Explorer 4x4 WITH the NTK installed, can you tow it rear 2 down? The reason is, I can't get a shop to install the tow bar in time for my trip, but I do have a tow dolly. Can you tow it in neutral mode with 2 rear down and 2 front up?

Also: Does anyone know what the Switch in the center console does? Park Limit Switch/Neutral Interruptor switch? Reason is some older guides said to use a toggle switch, which I did. But the part # 7L2Z-15a808-A is a limit switch, so it automatically turns on and off.

Can any damage be done if you forget to toggle the switch on or off or will it just not go into NTK mode? For example taking out of NTK mode if you forget to turn the switch off and drive around will any damage be caused?
0phantom0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0phantom0 View Post
Ford Explorer 4x4 with the Neutral Tow Kit enabled and the transfer case in neutral, is it ok to tow 2 down using a tow dolly?

Just wondering, I have that option but was wondering about hauling it with another vehicle on a dolly
I'm a bit confused. Are you indicating that you plan on hauling TWO VEHICLES on a single dolly? I was not aware that the NTK kit would work on an Explorer but, I don't follow those type of things anyway. But, if in fact your NTK kit is working properly, you have no need for a dolly anyway since that makes your Explorer flat towable.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #3

No the intent of the question is say I do not have the base plate attached but I do have Neutral Tow set up. The Explorer has a Neutral Tow Kit option for 4x4 only that disengages the transfer case.

If you have a 4x4 in neutral in the transfer case I assume you can tow on a tow dolly? I'm not sure, I know with some flat towables it says you must have all 4 wheels down but that is probably not with disengaging the transfer case.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would say yes because with the NTK activated, all 4 wheels are unlocked and spin freely. As a matter of fact, never and I mean NEVER leave the NTK active when the Explorer is not hooked to something. It will roll away but don't ask how I know that.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With my 98 vintage Sport the internal transfers case shifting is done by electric motors which disconnects the front and rear driveshafts.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

Quote:
No the intent of the question is say I do not have the base plate attached but I do have Neutral Tow set up. The Explorer has a Neutral Tow Kit option for 4x4 only that disengages the transfer case.

If you have a 4x4 in neutral in the transfer case I assume you can tow on a tow dolly? I'm not sure, I know with some flat towables it says you must have all 4 wheels down but that is probably not with disengaging the transfer case.
Ok, I now get what you're asking. The NTK simply puts the transfer case into Neutral so that the Fords can be flat towed. But, if you don't have a base plate, can you put the front end on a dolly, with the transfer case in Neutral? Well, the first thing I'd do if I were you is, CHECK THE OWNERS MANUAL! And, if you don't find adequate info about your inquiry in there, I'd head to the local Ford Dealer and, go right for the transmission tech. Do not go to the service writer. Most of them are clueless as well as the sales people.

The transmission tech IS the one that has those transmissions and, transfer cases apart on a regular basis. He's the one that can accurately tell you what turns and does not turn inside those gear boxes and, what, if anything will be harmed in towing your Explorer in the manner that you're thinking of.
Scott
Old 03-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #7

Unless the front axle is completely disconnected from the tcase then you run the risk of no lube getting to front output. Jeep Wranglers cant be dollied becaused of the front drivetrain not turning and splash lubing the front output. I would imagine yours would be that way as well.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Unless the front axle is completely disconnected from the tcase then you run the risk of no lube getting to front output. Jeep Wranglers cant be dollied becaused of the front drivetrain not turning and splash lubing the front output. I would imagine yours would be that way as well.
Nick,
Not sure which models of Jeep you're referring to but, I thought I'd tell you that, in the Jeeps equipped with either the model 231 Chain driven Aluminum transfer case or, the Rubicon one, the 242OR, there is an oil pump, located just inside the Transfer case, right where the tail cone bolts on. The pump is about the size of a DVD and, about as thick as about 6-8 DVDs stuck together.

That pump, is the reason there is any lube at all in those transfer cases. And, it it lubes all the shafts and gears and the chain. It turns any time either the output shaft is turning due to the engine being on and powering the vehicle or, when the Jeep is being towed. Now, I've seen Jeep Wranglers dollied before and always wondered why but, never got a chance to talk to the owner to find out why they did it that way.

I myself, would never dolly any Jeep because, as stated, those model transfer cases do allow for flat towing, as well as having a Neutral in them too.

To the OP, I have no idea what it would cost to install a base plate on your Explorer but, I'd do that in a heartbeat over dollying it. Your logistics at campgrounds etc. will be a lot easier with flat towing vs trying to find places to stow a dolly and, there's just more to hookup and consider when dollying. Your choice.
Scott
Old 03-18-2016, 05:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I would say yes because with the NTK activated, all 4 wheels are unlocked and spin freely. As a matter of fact, never and I mean NEVER leave the NTK active when the Explorer is not hooked to something. It will roll away but don't ask how I know that.
The pedal brakes and e-brake still works though right?

I'll ask the Ford Transmission tech about if you can tow 2 down - thanks for the advise. I was just asking because for this trip I'm leaving this weekend and it's my first flat towing setup. I just bought the explorer and I don't have everything ready. I own and have used a tow dolly much in the past and have a camry I can tow, but I'd like to take my explorer this trip.

Also I was just wondering out of curiosity sake.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The pedal brakes and e-brake still works though right?

I'll ask the Ford Transmission tech about if you can tow 2 down - thanks for the advise. I was just asking because for this trip I'm leaving this weekend and it's my first flat towing setup. I just bought the explorer and I don't have everything ready. I own and have used a tow dolly much in the past and have a camry I can tow, but I'd like to take my explorer this trip.

Also I was just wondering out of curiosity sake.
Yes, the brake petal and e-brake will still work, just put it on the tow dolly, strap it down then set the NTK, release th e-brake and everything should be good. As long as the NTK indicator light is on there should be no problems. Be sure to turn the NTK off before releasing the straps on the tow dolly.

BTW, I have been using the NTK on my Explorer for 5 years
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford