Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:50 PM   #1

Ford Bronco Tow Vehicle

Hi y'all. Thinking of changing my current toad (Mini Cooper S Convertible manual transmission) with a new full size Ford Bronco. Does anyone have any experience in using the Bronco as a toad? It will be pulled behind a Dutch Star 4081. Thanks.
CINPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2022, 04:43 PM   #2
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Others can address this issue better than I can as I haven't checked recently but it was as least a 15 month wait for one especially with a MIC top unless you wanted a soft top where you could possibly get one of those in less than a year depending on the configuration ...i.e. what options chosen.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:05 PM   #3

There was a fairly lengthy thread about this a couple of months ago. I'm sure the Bronco owners will weigh in, but there was an issue with the electric brakes going to sleep after 45 minutes or so. I believe it has been addressed with a S/W update.

The only issue is lead time. I was going to order one in December, and they said it would be a minimum of 10 months, but most likely longer. I ordered a Ranger Tremor instead.

I'll probably order a Bronco when they start taking orders for the 2023. I'll get it when I get it.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:59 PM   #4
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Others can address this issue better than I can as I haven't checked recently but it was as least a 15 month wait for one especially with a MIC top unless you wanted a soft top where you could possibly get one of those in less than a year depending on the configuration ...i.e. what options chosen.
Pertaining to the wait, I just glanced over on one of the Bronco forums and it still looks as if it's at least a 15 month wait if ordering. If you're able to snag an in-stock unit which is very rare, the markup is horrendous.

Here's an article from yesterday:

Will Ford Improve Bronco Inventories Anytime Soon?

Pertaining to the Molded in Color (MIC) top --it's the standard (removable) hardtop-- there have been numerous quality problems ...leaks, noise, de-lamination issues, cracks, etc. etc. They are on a "version2" and now going to a version3 the way it sounds. I guess you could pay a big price to outfit it with an aftermarket top but why should somebody have to do that??

They also had or are having problems with one of the engines, the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6, blowing up. If you are choosing the manual transmission, however, it comes with the 4-cylinder so you might avoid that fiasco.

NHTSA investigates Ford Bronco 'catastrophic engine failure' reports

All-in-all, get a Wrangler. Then buy a Bronco in 5 or 6 years when they have all the kinks worked out.
Old 06-15-2022, 04:01 AM   #5

Bronco vs Wrangler

Thank you for all your input. The reviews I have read on the Bronco have been good, much better than the Wrangler. In fact, I just read in Consumers Digest that the Wrangler was the worst rated, for quality/reliability, SUV in the US. So I am a bit torn. As my Mini Cooper is still in good shape, I may just hold out for a while. Again, thank you for your input.
CINPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINPHIL View Post
Thank you for all your input. The reviews I have read on the Bronco have been good, much better than the Wrangler. In fact, I just read in Consumers Digest that the Wrangler was the worst rated, for quality/reliability, SUV in the US. So I am a bit torn. As my Mini Cooper is still in good shape, I may just hold out for a while. Again, thank you for your input.
Keep the Mini Cooper.
Save your $$
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:11 PM   #7
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINPHIL View Post
There must be a reason why you are giving up a MINI to go to an off-road vehicle. If what you need is an off-road rig, I still think it's better to go with a Wrangler at this time.

You'll get a Wrangler faster if placing a factory order. The 15+ months we're talking about compared to 4-6 months (again, give or take a few months depending on configuration and options). You can purchase a Wrangler off a dealer's lot if lucky ...good luck with the Bronco.

The Bronco is working on weeding out all the problems that a "first year" vehicle always has ...plus, the Bronco is brand new and not just a revision. The current Wrangler platform, the JL, has been in production since the 2018 model year and has had time to work out a lot of the bugs. Plus, the JL is a revision, albeit relatively major, and not an entirely new vehicle.

Yes, the Wrangler has the reputation of being unreliable. But again, the 2023 Wrangler will be in its SIXTH year of the JL platform so, repeating myself, they've worked out a lot of the bugs.

If you talk to a lot of Wrangler JL owners, they don't believe the current JL is THAT unreliable. In fact, some are very happy with its reliability and cost of maintenance.

I too initially wanted the new Bronco and had the reservation deposit down when first offered but I eventually cancelled. I'm not going to use it as a toad but want a SUV of that size with a manual transmission as I'm a diehard third-pedal-person. Since the 4Runner doesn't offer one and the only SUVs of that size that do are the Bronco and the Wrangler, so I'm now planning on ordering a 2023 Wrangler.

Here's a study that came out a few weeks ago that surprised me and perhaps will surprise you too ...I don''t know how accurate or who exactly is making the determinations and I'm not familiar with "WithClutch" but it appears to be a well-done and well-presented study --and really differs from the J.D. Powers and Consumer Reports studies that most are more familiar with:

How Reliable is a Jeep Wrangler?

Attached are some excerpts from the article. The study does not include the Bronco but it seems like just about every other passenger vehicle but you can at least get an idea of how the Wrangler scored against the average ...again, it was surprising to me!

To summarize, the Wrangler score:

Overall Reliability: 73.45 (average being 57 and higher than any Ford vehicle listed)

Annual Cost of Maintenance: $694 (average being $651 so not that much higher than average and below that of many Ford vehicles)

Frequency of Maintenance: .075 (average being 1.3, again, lower than most Ford vehicles)

Keep-on-the-road Index or Long Term Quality: 76.9 (average being 43 so much better than ALL Ford models and right up there with many Toyotas)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 overall reliability.png
Views:	14
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	368355   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 maintenance cost.png
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	368356  

Name:	3 frequency.png
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	368357   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 keep-on-the-road or long term reliability.png
Views:	15
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	368358  

Old 06-15-2022, 12:29 PM   #8

I am a 5vr guy so no clue as to whether you may flat tow or not, but my daughter and son in law ordered their Bronco a couple of days before Christmas, (2021) and it was delivered to them in April. After seeing theirs, which like her dad has champagne taste on a beer pocket book I see very few on the road that look as nice. The reason for saying that the wait may not be as long as the media leads us to believe. It is a very nice looking vehicle and this old recently retired guy loves to ride in it with them. They went with I don't know what size tires and rims and a lift and as much as I like Jeeps well just saying. So go online and build you one and pick your dealer and see what happens.
Saltyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:17 PM   #9
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyguy View Post
I am a 5vr guy so no clue as to whether you may flat tow or not, but my daughter and son in law ordered their Bronco a couple of days before Christmas, (2021) and it was delivered to them in April. After seeing theirs, which like her dad has champagne taste on a beer pocket book I see very few on the road that look as nice. The reason for saying that the wait may not be as long as the media leads us to believe. It is a very nice looking vehicle and this old recently retired guy loves to ride in it with them. They went with I don't know what size tires and rims and a lift and as much as I like Jeeps well just saying. So go online and build you one and pick your dealer and see what happens.
Wow, I'm really surprised at that. That's great they were able to get it that quickly.

No, I was just going by what I was reading on the Bronco forums. These are guys (like us on this forum) who are posting their experiences when ordering. However, there are certain things that will hold up an order, i.e. particular models (trim lines) and various options or packages. For instance, that Sasquatch package seems to be holding up orders and making for a longer wait.

The MIC top sounds definitely like it's taking longer than if somebody was ordering a soft top.

Like I mentioned, I wanted one initially but will settle for a Wrangler at this point as I cringe reading about all the problems some are having with the Bronco. Sure, those on the Wrangler forums complain about problems too but the JL has been out for five model years now and 2023 will be the sixth so I'm more comfortable with that than taking a chance on the Bronco until it has a few years behind it.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:03 AM   #10

I tow a Bronco. We were towing a 2013 Jeep. It is my thread on Bronco6 regarding the EBB issue.

We are currently on a 4800 mile 70 day trip. We have had no issues. In my view the Bronco is a massive improvement in drivability and quality of the Jeep. Not trying to start a discussion from the Jeepers. Jeeps are certainly proven and have their own qualities.

It is a pain to have to pull the fuses with the 5 min wait on either side. I believe Ford is working on a fix.

We use Airforce1 as a braking system.

JD
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7BF79866-0691-4BD4-896F-F5838C02F2FB.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	369189  
AZRVR17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Keep the Mini Cooper.
Save your $$
I wonder how well that mini Cooper works out on the red rocks of Moab or maybe Imogene in Ouray?
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:42 AM   #12

I tow a 2021 Ford Bronco. My previous Toad was a GMC Sierra. Love the Bronco. Super easy to engage neutral compared to the GMC. Ford has a “Work Around” for the EB issue. It should be solved by Q4. Just got back from Moab, had a blast on the “Red Rocks”. Definitely going back!

Bam565
2012 Itasca Ellipse
bam565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:07 PM   #13
Hud

Newmar Owners Club
I had to run to Tennessee to trailer back my daughter’s Ford Ranger toad which was a brand new because after pulling it from SC to Tenn, the transmission was blown up. Tow mode was properly engaged before towing. Ford dealer reluctantly replaced the transmission and then warned us to never to tow it again, regardless of what the manufacturer says, it’s not designed for 4 down towing they emphatically said. I’m concerned that the new Bronco may have issues too. If you do much on line research, it won’t take long to see a long list of problems with 4 down towing for the new 4x4 Ranger. I regularly tow an old Chevy Avalanche and a 2021 Jeep Gladiator diesel, no problems with either. Both very easy toads.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:13 PM   #14

Appreciate your personal Ranger experience but lots of people tow Rangers and F-150 with out problems. I have now towed the Bronco over 2000 miles with out problems. Taking the word of a dealership vs the manufacturer seems odd to me. A valid charge line is absolutely required as the transmission will kick out of neutral if battery drops below a certain level. This is not well disclosed.
AZRVR17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow