Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcfaror View Post
Ramblin...my owner's manual says the hybrid is towable....just put in in Neutral, key in ACC and drive away, which is much different than the non-hybrid instructions.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if it charges the batteries while being towed?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
It sounds that Ford will use your case with the Fiesta as an engineering lesson. That should not happen.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Ramblin I have a 2010 Escape and I'm pretty sure the Hybrid "was" towable 4 down but don't know about the 2012s now. I think some of the problem was the required trans. fluid level wasn't being lowered enough. They need to be driven about 20 miles to get to temperature so it can be checked with dip stick. Then I think some of the dealerships or quick lube places were topping up the transmission fluids unless the owners were letting the shop know that the fluid level is intentionally low and not to add any fluid.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Oh! Also, the Escape all wheel drive is not towable with a dolly. Lube pump 4 down or all 4 off the ground (trailer). I'm going to continue 4 down with my 2010 as I was assured that if I followed the manual and lowered the fluid it would be Ok. I have about 15,000 miles of 4 down towing now without a problem.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcfaror
I just purchased a 2012 Fusion Hybrid to tow behind our motorhome. I can't find anything that addresses the new owner's manual addendum related to the hybrids. I anyone else sucessfully towing a hybrid fusion or escape? We are scheduled to have our base plate installed on Monday and am just now reading about these problems.
I did get confirmation from Ford engineering that the Fusion Hybrid is still towable 4-down with no modifications. It is not part of the new owner's addendum due to the CVT.
bmcfaror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:10 AM   #20

I just purchased the 2012 Escape 4X4 , had it all rigged up to tow and was looking in the owners manual for a booklet on another system(LoJack) and came across the booklet that states that the vehicle is not flat towable, I was on the phone to the dealer in seconds. I only made the purchase because it was towable and was very upset that I found a pamphlet saying otherwise. the general manager stands by the towable part and has said he will repair the car if indeed we have issues.. the answer I got on the pamphlet is that in making up the owners manuals for the 2012 a few booklets for the 2013 got in by mistake it is definatly not flat towable. I took it to the Oregon coast and back and had no issues.I will of course keep you all posted. it has 700 miles on it and I tow with a 35 foot Allegro on a gas Workhorse chassis.
ruffneckfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
That is a great dealer.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #22

2012 Fusion Hybrid with Air Force One

My 2012 Fusion Hybrid is now hooked up and working well. Did have a charge line put on as the Nav system has a drain on the batter in the ACC mode required for towing. I just put it in Neutral and turn the key back. Can lock the doors with the outside keypad even with key in ignition. Air Force One system works tremendously so far....only braking proportionally with the coach brakes and not with the exhaust brake.
bmcfaror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2012 Lincoln Hybrid, my owner's manual says the hybrid is towable....just put in in Neutral, key in ACC and drive away, I have also asked my dealer about its tow ability, and he told me the same thing and marked the page in my owner manual. I have not yet decided on whose tow bar and base plate to use so I have not towed the car yet. Questions Please;

1. Is anyone towing a Ford Motor Co. Hybrid?
2. What make and model year?
3. Do you accumulate any miles when towing?
4. What tow set-up are you using? Blue Ox or Towmaster?
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #24

Nor'easters Club
As I just posted in an earlier post..my mkz hybrid requires a special braking system as hybrids do not have VACUM assisted brakes which are ineffective with engine off. Hybrids with electric brakes have "full time" brakes and the aux system needs to adjust for that. Brake buddy has a special product for hybrids... Some systems can do both...
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, I own a 2011 Ford Escape limited and tow it on a tow dolly and it tows great. It is no problem loading or going down the road. The only thing i had to do was get bigger straps to fit the 16" wheels which i ordered special as the escape normally comes with 17" wheels. With the dolly I don't have to do anything other than drive it up, ties it down, lock the doors and go.
The AWD and four wheel drive Escapes cannot be towed on a tow dolly.
Hope this helps and we surely enjoy our Escape very much.

Enjoy!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #26

I had another thought, I read and heed the instructions in the manual about the starting the vehicle and putting it in Drive then reverse and back to neutral EVERY SIX HOURS, or 250 miles. has every one else been doing this? If thats the only thing thats going to save the trans it seems to be an easy thing to do. just sayin, like to hear back from others towing a 2012 Escape.
ruffneckfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:58 AM   #27

Okay for a HYBRID as the car is designed to run on battery power sometimes with the engine off. In this mode the engine is not running so it is just as though you are flat towing the vehicle. The engine and transmission are designed to handle this type of operation.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #28

Wink Towing Ford Escape with Remco Lube Pump

I have an '09 Escape and have gone thru 3 transmissions. After the last one I ask Ford if they would install a Remco Lube Pump. They said "No way in Hell" . I told them I still had 18 months left on my warranty and could probably burn up three more transmissions in that time. They "reconsidered" and paid $500 toward the price of a lube pump. They listed the payment as something else however.

The Remco Lube Pump works great. I had one on a 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan and pulled it all over 6-7 states with no trouble.

I expect a recall on the Escapes and when they do I plan to get the rest of the cost of the pump. I save all paperwork on repairs and the comments they made.

Hope this helps, Chuck
smith45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, towing