Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2019, 08:14 AM   #1

Ford Edge - What all do I need?

We are in the process of selling our travel trailer for a class c and would like to tow our 2012 Ford Edge behind it. I'm researching the different costs and I'm seeing a lot of different components and I'm not sure which ones I need and which ones I don't.

For starters, I have a Blue Ox dealer near me so I've been looking at their components. I know I need a base plate for the car ($550) but initially I thought that included everything I would need. Now I see that I need a tow bar ($1500). For some reason I thought they would sell it as a kit and not separately.

Now I'm left wondering what else I need. If I buy the base plate and have that installed, is the only other component I need a tow bar or are their other required components that I need to buy?

Update: I do see that they sell a kit that includes both components:

https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/produc...,336&group_id=

Is there anything else I would need though?
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Ford Edge - What all do I need?

You’ll need an umbilical cord to connect the car to the MH for the toad brake and signal lights to work or some of the other options. You’ll also need to wire the toad lights. Finally you’ll want to get a supplemental toad braking system.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFTALL View Post
You’ll need an umbilical cord to connect the car to the MH for the toad brake and signal lights to work or some of the other options. You’ll also need to wire the toad lights. Finally you’ll want to get a supplemental toad braking system.
Thanks. I see a kit for the wiring harness so I'll add that.

In terms of the supplemental braking system, is that a requirement? I'm guessing it helps save wear on the RV's brakes but I'm wondering if it's something that I need right away.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
Community Administrator

You’ll find varying opinions on this. I personally would not tow a car without one. Some States mandate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
Thanks.

In terms of the supplemental braking system, is that a requirement? I'm guessing it helps save wear on the RV's brakes but I'm wondering if it's something that I need right away.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You need four things to tow a car - make that five if you haven't thoroughly read the owner's manual. Base plate, tow bar, braking system, and a connection to the lighting system for stop, signal, and running lights. If you are reasonably handy, you can do all of this yourself.

The prices you were quoted are way out of line with prices you will see online. You've got lots of resources - Amazon, eTrailer, rvupgradestore, and so on.

Your biggest decision will be your braking system. This somewhat depends on your coach - a gas engined coach requires a self-contained unit. With a DP with air brakes you can either use the self-contained model or go for one that integrates with the coach's air brakes.

We all have our favorite equipment and it isn't always BlueOx. So shop around and ask questions.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Your biggest decision will be your braking system. This somewhat depends on your coach - a gas engined coach requires a self-contained unit. With a DP with air brakes you can either use the self-contained model or go for one that integrates with the coach's air brakes.
I've been doing some more reading and I think the brake system is worth getting so I will do some research on different systems. We are looking at gas units so if anyone has any thoughts, let me know.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
did our 2012 this past February bought everything from E trailer and used their videos EXCELLENT and it went pretty easy took about a week ( i was in no hurry)
other than a few holes needing clearance on the base plate, it was pretty easy.
I did have to order a 4" riser for the hitch receiver as my hitch was a bit low compared to the edge base plate height, so now we are level, vice a drop

i also ran a dedicated 12v supply from the coach 7 pin trailer connector to keep the battery charged and another dedicated 12v cigar lighter plug for the patriot
i used the roadmaster wire kit because the wiring was heavier insulated to run the length of the car to the rear lamps and it came with a heavy duty 6 wire cable to connect the coach to the edge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-10 (1).png
Views:	55
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	252811   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-10.png
Views:	42
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	252812  

Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
clarification
i did not use the roadmaster diodes as the wiring kit for the plug and play tailights already had those wired in.
and yes use an auxillary braking system
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #9

check out ebay for tow kits
Old 07-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #10

I just had our Ford Edge that we already owned, set up to tow behind our MH. The prices are off the top of my head, but I think I'm pretty close.

Roadmaster base plate - $425
Stay-n-play duo braking system - $1000
Ready-Made wiring harnesses for toad lights - $75
RVI Towed battery charger - $55
Installation by moonlighting Ford tech - $400
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar (came with MH) - $625 at e-trailer

That's about $2600. I'm sure I forgot an odd or an end, and installation cost will vary, but if you allow $3000 for this you should be in the ballpark.
GeorgeandTheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:43 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Or you can just buy a trailer and haul any car you want. And suprisingly for not much more money then your going to spend on coverting your car . That you might only keep a couple of years and then get the fun of doing it all over again.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:54 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can a Ford edge be towed 4 wheels down? Do you have a transfer case you can put in neutral? A manual transmission?
I just never knew a Ford edge could be towed 4 wheels down. More impotant than any thing else , make sure. transmissions are expensive.
I'll watch for your reply, just did not know they could be towed
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:53 AM   #13

Remco and MotorHome Magazine appear to show it as OK for flat tow with speed restrictions and engine run every 6 hours.

After checking your owners manual to confirm flat tow, go to Etrailer website.
If you ask them they will list all components you need for flat tow, no charge for this service.

https://www.etrailer.com/maindept-RVandCamper.aspx
Old 07-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Can a Ford edge be towed 4 wheels down? Do you have a transfer case you can put in neutral? A manual transmission?
I just never knew a Ford edge could be towed 4 wheels down. More impotant than any thing else , make sure. transmissions are expensive.
I'll watch for your reply, just did not know they could be towed
It depends on the year and especially the model. We’ve towed our 16 Edge more than 40,000 miles; we just put it into neutral. We use the Air Force One brake system. Our year does require a battery charge line OR disconnecting one side of the battery; we use a charge line.

The FMCA yearly towable list is a good place to start, then check the specific model and year owner’s manual; look under recreational towing in the manual for requirements.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford