Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #1

Ford Escape Hybrid Toad

I understand the 2020 and 2021 Ford Hybrids and Plugins can be flat towed. Does anyone know the protocol? Does one have to stop and run the engine every so often as I've heard some vehicles require?
donvidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #2

We just towed our 2020 Escape Hybrid for the first time. 800 miles over 2 days WI to PA. The Escape is a very easy set-up. Turn on accessory power, select Neutral Tow Mode on the dashboard menu, place gear selector in Neutral and turn power off.

There are concerns with keeping the battery charged while towing. On our first day, we drove the Escape for part of the drive. Second day we towed all day and arrived at campground only to have a dead battery. Quick-start jump and it was good as new. We are very happy with our decision to get the Escape Hybrid.

There have been several threads discussing this with lots of really great info. Here is one link:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/blue-ox-for-2020-ford-escape-hybrid-476862.html
BadgerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #3

There must be a way to bring 12V back from the RV to provide power and eliminate the battery discharging problem?

Do you have to stop and run the Escape every so often as is required for some Toads?

Thanks,
Don
donvidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #4

There is - but my installer didn't run the charge line. I'm installing and RVi Towed Battery Charger today that I'm hoping will solve the issue.

We did drive it on our first towing day, but not a start and let it run for 5 minutes we drive it following the MH for about 90 minutes. Second day, we sisnt start it at all during the tow, and that's when the battery was dead. We had been towing for 6ish hours at that point (maybe a bit more).
BadgerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerRV View Post
We just towed our 2020 Escape Hybrid for the first time. 800 miles over 2 days WI to PA. The Escape is a very easy set-up. Turn on accessory power, select Neutral Tow Mode on the dashboard menu, place gear selector in Neutral and turn power off.

There are concerns with keeping the battery charged while towing. On our first day, we drove the Escape for part of the drive. Second day we towed all day and arrived at campground only to have a dead battery. Quick-start jump and it was good as new. We are very happy with our decision to get the Escape Hybrid.

There have been several threads discussing this with lots of really great info. Here is one link:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/blue-ox-for-2020-ford-escape-hybrid-476862.html

Fully agree - it's simple and easy and tows well.
I highly recommend the RVi charger and a proper install for problem free (no dead batteries) towing.

The manual suggest starting the engine and shifting gears every 5-6 hrs to lubricate tranny - similar to many other toads.

It's a great toad and car.

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I have been looking at the 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid to use as a toad when we get our Newmar coach delivered. I have read the threads about some people having their batteries run down while towing the new Escape. If it is a matter of running a 12v charging wire to the starter battery on the Escape, that will be fine bit want to be certain there are no other issues towing the Escape. Finally, I will be getting a Spartan chassis and want to know whether the Air Force One will work for braking the Escape while toad.
Usmcja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #7

Tow Neutral setting on Ford Escape 2020 hybrid

I have a question about the specifics of putting the ford escape 2020 hybrid into tow neutral. After finding tow neutral in settings I select with the ok button on the steering wheel. No directions or indication pops up that it is in tow neutral. Should there be some instructions?
Thank you
Jeff Fisher
Perchlorate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchlorate View Post
I have a question about the specifics of putting the ford escape 2020 hybrid into tow neutral. After finding tow neutral in settings I select with the ok button on the steering wheel. No directions or indication pops up that it is in tow neutral. Should there be some instructions?
Thank you
Jeff Fisher

If memory serves me correctly, you should get a prompt to walk you through the process to completion, so to speak.
That said, I always feel a bit nervous (is it really in tow mode?); but when finish and close the door, I believe you can look in and see Neutral Tow Mode on the display... or something like that....

good luck!
Old 01-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Yes, the hybrid model of the 2020 Ford Escape can be flat towed ...
The other models can not be.

I purchased one and installed the Blue Ox towbar. I'm powering my Blue Ox Patriot brake buddy off a portable 12 volt battery and am not having any issues with battery going dead.

The owners manual says to:
- start the engine and let run for a few minutes each
day that the vehicle is being flat towed, and every 6 hours
thereafter that the vehicle is in Neutral Tow mode.
- with foot on brake cycle thru drive and reverse before resuming
neutral tow mode after running engine

Procedure to enter neutral tow mode:

- Switch your vehicle on in accessory mode
( you press the start button without your foot on the brake )
- Press the menu button on the controls on the steering wheel.

- Select Settings, Select Neutral Tow.
- Follow the instructions on the information display.
- Fully press the brake pedal.
- Shift into neutral (N).

- Switch the ignition off.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:40 AM   #10

Smile

Randy, Thank you so much for the detailed directions. Now I understand accessory mode for a hybrid! And a portable 12 V battery is such a good idea. Very helpful and much appreciated.
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Yes, the hybrid model of the 2020 Ford Escape can be flat towed ...
The other models can not be.

I purchased one and installed the Blue Ox towbar. I'm powering my Blue Ox Patriot brake buddy off a portable 12 volt battery and am not having any issues with battery going dead.

The owners manual says to:
- start the engine and let run for a few minutes each
day that the vehicle is being flat towed, and every 6 hours
thereafter that the vehicle is in Neutral Tow mode.
- with foot on brake cycle thru drive and reverse before resuming
neutral tow mode after running engine

Procedure to enter neutral tow mode:

- Switch your vehicle on in accessory mode
( you press the start button without your foot on the brake )
- Press the menu button on the controls on the steering wheel.

- Select Settings, Select Neutral Tow.
- Follow the instructions on the information display.
- Fully press the brake pedal.
- Shift into neutral (N).

- Switch the ignition off.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:42 AM   #11

Thank you CT-camper.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #12

I've seen several posts concerning the Escape Hybrid small factory 12 volt flooded H4 battery discharging while towing. It is only 45 AH, which isn't very much. I replaced it with an EverStart Platinum AGM which has 70 AH.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...M2I0&sharedid=

The battery area under spare tire is designed to hold this larger H6 battery, and even includes a threaded hole for the battery hold down mount in the correct location to hold this battery in place.

Also added a couple 12v sockets, one for the TowMate wireless brake lights, and one for our RVI-3 brake, both wired directly to the battery.

We can have the Escape Hybrid in tow mode for 8 hours, with RVi3 and TowMate lights connected to battery, without it going dead.
tripntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:54 PM   #13

What is the name and size of 12v portable battery you are using?
bruscillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:16 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruscillo View Post
What is the name and size of 12v portable battery you are using?
Link: Serene Life Portable Lithium-Ion Power Station, about 12 Amp Hours
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, toad