Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2022, 08:59 AM   #15

I agree with most of the replies. My opinion is that IT SHOULD matter that you're a long time Ford customer, but unfortunately it doesn't. I gave up being loyal to companies long ago. You're just a number to most of them.
Way back when, I was a long time GM customer and they agreed to repaint a vehicle after it was out of warranty due to me being a good customer, but I think the dealer was mostly responsible.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 09:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott98 View Post
We haven’t towed it behind the Coach since October 22nd, so probably 750 miles of driving before it let go with zero warning.
The F-150 owner's manual gives specific instructions on how to flat tow behind an RV.
If you were following the owner's manual instructions then I seriously doubt that towing the truck behind your RV had anything to do with the tranny going out.
What is the dealer recommending for future flat towing? Not to?
I tow a 2018 F-150 behind my coach. I will be paying extra attention when I do this from now on. I'm still on the fence about the 10 speed vs the 6 speed but that's a whole other topic.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
The F-150 owner's manual gives specific instructions on how to flat tow behind an RV.
If you were following the owner's manual instructions then I seriously doubt that towing the truck behind your RV had anything to do with the tranny going out.
What is the dealer recommending for future flat towing? Not to?
I tow a 2018 F-150 behind my coach. I will be paying extra attention when I do this from now on. I'm still on the fence about the 10 speed vs the 6 speed but that's a whole other topic.

Towed my 2013 F150 for four years without any issue. That one had the six speed transmission which I wish I had in the 2017 F150.

The dealer on this is actually in my corner. They told Ford that they saw no signs of outside influence or abuse of this truck. If you saw the truck you’d swear it just came off the showroom floor.

I’m negotiating with Ford as we speak regarding a settlement. They have changed their stance over the past week, and seem more willing to agree that this is a defective product (FYI they haven’t said as much, doubt they ever will) but we may get some compensation. I will update if we do.

Meanwhile, as suggested by some on the forum, I will take a photo of the Neutral Tow Screen every time I tow this thing, and would suggest any other Ford owners do the same.
Scott98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 05:21 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Two things.....I would hold off posting anything about your negotiations with Ford, until they're done. You never know who might read your posts, including a Ford rep.

I tow a Ford F-150 that displays "Neutral Tow Enabled" when properly placed in neutral. I've thought about it and don't see the value of taking a picture. What does that prove, that at some point you put it in neutral. Even if it was dated, it can be manipulated.

Something I do.....I always push the truck a few inches, extending the tow bar, making sure it's in neutral. When we drive away after we hook up, I always watch the wheels in the first turn in the mirror, making sure the fronts are turning (tracking) and rears are rolling freely.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:49 PM   #19

Same situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
dealer is WRONG about battery
the system is designed to only shift if power is applied and commanded to shift out of neutral tow mode or 4A, or 4 H or 4 L

loosing power will do nothing but keep it in whatever selection it was in when battery died.
there is no electric lube pump installed in the 10 spd, its isolated in neutral tow

dealer needs to read the book

user error is most likely in the neutral set up
my 16 exp had you turn the 4x4 knob and hold out your tongue, but end the end the dash will tell you if its good or not

my 2021 f250 is easier, just select neutral tow on instrument clusters settings and follow prompts on center screen

its not a 10 speed issue, did you have them show you the oasis DTC codes or hook up forscan and read codes?

not accusing, but its hard to miss the dash stating neutral tow is engaged. i snap picture every time of proper gear position in the edge and dash for the 250.
I know this is ten months old but I've got a friend in the same spot. Where did you get the info that a dead battery will not kick it out of town mode. Dealer is saying low voltage codes, doesn't want to warranty. Thanks
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:31 PM   #20

The OP will probably NOT go this way, but a Ford (not dealer) rebuilt transmission comes with the identical original warranty, good at any Ford dealer in the US.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
I know this is ten months old but I've got a friend in the same spot. Where did you get the info that a dead battery will not kick it out of town mode. Dealer is saying low voltage codes, doesn't want to warranty. Thanks
A simple way to verify that a dead or low battery will not activate the transfer case shift motor is to put the truck into neutral tow and then disconnect the battery cable .
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:48 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
The owner's manual for our 2020 Expedition XLT has a bold warning that depleting the battery in neutral tow mode will cause the transmission to re-engage resulting in transmission damage.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:56 AM   #23

Our Brake Buddy Stealth will give me a warning in the RV if there is a low battery on the toad.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:06 AM   #24

I had an idea at one point to get a small inner tube and put a TPSM on it and then putting it near the toad transmission as a way to monitor the transmission temps. Just an idea no clue if it would work.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
The owner's manual for our 2020 Expedition XLT has a bold warning that depleting the battery in neutral tow mode will cause the transmission to re-engage resulting in transmission damage.
Not quite -- what it says or tries to say is the transfer case will not reengage and the vehicle may roll even if in park ... that's because the transfer case is shifted by a 12v motor... if it has no power, it can't shift, it stays in whatever position it was in before power was removed. It does not revert to some other position.

Here's that the Ford manual says for the 2020 Expedition ( and other vehicles that can be 4 down towed.... it's been the same wording for years)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020 Expedition.png
Views:	43
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	381773  
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:15 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Not quite -- what it says or tries to say is the transfer case will not reengage and the vehicle may roll even if in park ... that's because the transfer case is shifted by a 12v motor... if it has no power, it can't shift, it stays in whatever position it was in before power was removed. It does not revert to some other position.

Here's that the Ford manual says for the 2020 Expedition ( and other vehicles that can be 4 down towed.... it's been the same wording for years)

I understand what you are saying, but, this statement starts in the middle of the instructions. If you go back to the start of "Towing the Vehicle on Four Wheels", you will see under "Entering Four-wheel-down Towing", Item #3, that it says to see "Transmission" to place the vehicle in "Stay In Neutral Mode". When you read the instructions for placing the vehicle in "Stay In Neutral Mode", you will see under the very first NOTE: "... Once in this mode, maintain sufficient battery voltage or your vehicle returns to park. ...". The crazy and contradictory thing is that under the third NOTE:, it says, "Do not use this feature for towing your vehicle." My take on this, and I am FAR from an expert and have never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, is that Ford is trying to say don't stop here, but follow the rest of the "Four-wheel-down towing" instructions. For reference, I have attached the page that begins "Entering Four-wheel down Towing" and the page for "Stay In Neutral Mode".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Page296.pdf (670.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf Page195.pdf (582.0 KB, 32 views)
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:34 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I, for the life of me cannot understand why people keep farting around with all this tow stuff.
Back in the '80's I towed a full-sized C-10 Chevy van 4 wheels down on a home made tow bar, with my old 38 ft Georgie Boy Encounter.
All I did was put a driveline disconnect in the prop shaft. We towed that van all over the country for well over 50K miles.
Yup, I had to reach under the van and slide the collar, but it's no big deal.

But that's just me..........

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
I, for the life of me cannot understand why people keep farting around with all this tow stuff.

Back in the '80's I towed a full-sized C-10 Chevy van 4 wheels down on a home made tow bar, with my old 38 ft Georgie Boy Encounter.

All I did was put a driveline disconnect in the prop shaft. We towed that van all over the country for well over 50K miles.

Yup, I had to reach under the van and slide the collar, but it's no big deal.

But that's just me..........

Mike in Colorado
Great, where can someone get a 4x4 driveline disconnect ?
How about a 2x4 driveline disconnect ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing, transmission