Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2022, 07:34 PM   #1

Ford F-150 Transmission Toast after flat towing.

I have a 2017 F-150 King Ranch that we have towed behind our Coach for the past 4 years. Long time Ford owner and I’ve towed my wife’s 2012 Edge, and my old 2013 F-150 with zero problems. We’re full-timers and I’m also very anal about our setup and towing procedure.

Last week while driving the 2017 F-150 down the freeway, it suddenly downshifted from 10th to 3rd and 70MPH. Fun ride almost getting lunched thru the windshield. Anyway, no issues prior to this event. We were able to limp 10-15 mph to a Ford Dealer.

Computer shows a P2705 Friction Element F Apply Time code. They are telling me the transmission is toast. I have asked for a tear down at my cost ($750) and they have confirmed multiple failures, which are clearly friction/ lack of lubricant related.

Ford of course says that it’s my doing. They first tried to tell me that the battery went dead, and caused the pump to shut off and/or transfer case to reengage. I pointed out that the truck has an independent Coach to Toad Charging system. I then asked them to produce ECM low voltage alerts, which they claim they can’t do.

I asked for photos of the Parking Pall, which they took and it’s perfect, no issues. I clearly didn’t have any indication of fault on my part for not putting the truck in neutral tow. They don’t care, it’s my fault and they have nothing to support this claim.

New transmission installed is just under 10k. Don’t really have a choice as the individual parts are hard to come by and we need the truck.

These 10 speed transmissions are junk, and Ford knows it. Weather flat towing or otherwise there have been countless failures. I will be leaving the Ford line for good. We have purchased 13 new Fords in the past 30 years and we are done. To my fellow RVers, buyer be warned that Ford will not back you should you flat tow one of their vehicles.
Scott98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2022, 07:41 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
dealer is WRONG about battery
the system is designed to only shift if power is applied and commanded to shift out of neutral tow mode or 4A, or 4 H or 4 L

loosing power will do nothing but keep it in whatever selection it was in when battery died.
there is no electric lube pump installed in the 10 spd, its isolated in neutral tow

dealer needs to read the book

user error is most likely in the neutral set up
my 16 exp had you turn the 4x4 knob and hold out your tongue, but end the end the dash will tell you if its good or not

my 2021 f250 is easier, just select neutral tow on instrument clusters settings and follow prompts on center screen

its not a 10 speed issue, did you have them show you the oasis DTC codes or hook up forscan and read codes?

not accusing, but its hard to miss the dash stating neutral tow is engaged. i snap picture every time of proper gear position in the edge and dash for the 250.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:00 PM   #3

I agree about the dash message, hard to miss. Been doing this for years, not my first rodeo.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:12 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott98 View Post
I agree about the dash message, hard to miss. Been doing this for years, not my first rodeo.

yep, thats why i would pull DTC codes with oasis (ford) or forscan program

if trans was in N and transfer case had successfully shifted to N. there is 99% no way the trans got burned up

but if a false N was indicated by a fault in the truck, then yes trans could BBQ
but that is pretty rare , like really rare, to many safeties
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:57 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
How many non-towing miles?

How many estimated towing miles?

Did you have an extended warranty as I'm guessing you're out of warranty?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
How many non-towing miles?

How many estimated towing miles?

Did you have an extended warranty as I'm guessing you're out of warranty?

64K actual miles. So 4K out of warranty. Truck was purchased in Jan 2018 so four years old. About 40K towing miles.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:23 PM   #7

I tend to agree with the others that Ford dealer is full of something that smells bad. I have personally toasted a transmission towing a vehicle many years ago when I was driving tow truck. The smoke billowing out from under the vehicle was a dead give-away. Have you tried calling Ford Corporate? You may be able to get some satisfaction that way, before you do though, find a friendly mechanic that is willing to find all of the Technical Service Bulletins on your vehicle so you can point out any related to the trans/transfer case. Also point out what you stated here about all the Fords you have purchased, they tend to be more helpful with long time customers. I've seen Ford step up and take care of things based on "Customer experience", even know of one of the old diesels where they provided a complete engine air cleaner to oil pan on the condition they got the take out exactly the same. The guy had almost 700,000 miles on it with no major repairs, they wanted to find out why. Ford also replaced 3 6.9's and Gale Banks turbo setup in one of my step dads pickups that kept blowing the bottom ends out of the motor.

I've been out of the shop too many years, so I don't know diddly about the 10 speeds, but the radical downshift sounds more like the transmission controller went haywire, or a shift solenoid failed. Oh the joys of computer controlled transmissions. I'd be real wary when you get it back with the new trans.

Dave
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:55 AM   #8

How far had you driven since it was last towed? Clearly the transmission was operating properly for some period since you were going 70.

The tranny may have just taken a poop for reasons totally unrelated to towing. I don't know if that helps or hurts your case.

Good luck.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:40 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There was another post on here about six or eight months ago, where another poster lunched his F150 Ford after towing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:43 PM   #10

I’m not sure if it was mentioned. Was it still in warranty?
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:36 PM   #11

4K miles past warranty? Then there's no way Ford is going to cover it. The OP has fair reason to be disgruntled with a tranny going out after so few miles, and deciding to ditch Ford is well within his right. On the other hand, any gizmo produced by man can go bad, and warranties have a stated duration for a reason. Another person might reasonably conclude that this was a misfortune and maybe all the good results previously obtained with Fords would count considerably in the company's favor. But I can understand being angry and upset.

It certainly would be nice if companies routinely gave customers full "benefit of the doubt" and extra credit for past loyalty, however companies are in business not to be nice but to earn profits for shareholders. I know of no automobile mfr that will be so 'nice' as to warranty an out-of-warranty part, so we can't expect different treatment from any of them.

If there is a known, provable defect issue with the 10-speed transmission being discussed, class action is one remedy that comes to mind.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBGE View Post
How far had you driven since it was last towed? Clearly the transmission was operating properly for some period since you were going 70.

The tranny may have just taken a poop for reasons totally unrelated to towing. I don't know if that helps or hurts your case.

Good luck.

We haven’t towed it behind the Coach since October 22nd, so probably 750 miles of driving before it let go with zero warning.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:45 AM   #13

FYI the 10 speed automatic is a jointly developed transmission between Ford and GM. Both use it their pickups. They manufacture independently from the same design. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford-G...c_transmission
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott98 View Post
We haven’t towed it behind the Coach since October 22nd, so probably 750 miles of driving before it let go with zero warning.
I don't blame you for being upset at losing a tranny after that few miles, but I doubt it had anything to do with towing it.

That said, since it is out of warranty the cause is probably irrelevant to the repair. Sorry you're going through that. No one likes a 10K surprise.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing, transmission