Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Mine does. Wonder if because a 2013 F150?
Make sure your key is at the stop just above the lock and you should get no miles. Also make sure you are in neutral and the computer tells you it is in tow mode. Took me a while to figure out the instructions on getting the transfer case into neutral. JMHO
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #100
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post

Make sure your key is at the stop just above the lock and you should get no miles. Also make sure you are in neutral and the computer tells you it is in tow mode. Took me a while to figure out the instructions on getting the transfer case into neutral. JMHO
I have no problem getting it in tow mode. When I turn the key counterclockwise, it stops just before the lock and remove spot.

I wonder if it is a Canadian thing? I spoke to my Ford dealer and they said it tracks miles because there are more parts that can fail than just the engine while turned off and the odometer tracks the miles on the chassis not just engine run miles.

I'll have to check the next time I tow just to make sure I wasn't dreaming when I looked at the odometer on my arrival at home.

You guys have got me pondering!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #101

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
Not on mine.....
I have found that if you delay a fraction of a second between each flip of the switch, rather than doing it in a continuous motion, you will succeed every time. Do it too quick and it don't usually work.
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #102

Newmar Owners Club
Tow it forward on the way going and backwards on the way home. Should even out eventually.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Just another confirmation here. Stopped by the Ford dealer yesterday and salesman confirmed.

Me being a "Doubting Thomas", I made him show me in the owners manual, then we went out on the lot and tried it on one of there trucks.

The procedure is;
1). Put key in "On" position ( do not start).
2). Put foot one press/hold brake.
3). Shift trans into neutral.
4). Turn the 4x4 selection knob 2H to 4L and back 5 times in 7 seconds.
Dashboard message will display when transfer case is in Neutral and ready to tow.
5). Turn key to "Off" position (you cannot remove the key with transfer case in neutral).

To take transfer case out of neutral all I did was turn key to "On" position then shift into "Park". Message on dash disappeared and I could hear the transfer case shift back into gear. I then started the truck, shifted to Drive and took it for test drive.

Very nice truck and it is now at the top of my list because I can get a 4 door Crew Cab with a 6 1/2 foot bed. Can't get that combination on a Chevy.

Another tip is to have dealer cut a non-pats key. This is the older key with out the chip in the head. This key will do everything the pats key will do except start the truck.This way when you leave it in the ignition you're worry free about someone stealing your toad if its left alone and you forgot to take the key out.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Another tip is to have dealer cut a non-pats key. This is the older key with out the chip in the head. This key will do everything the pats key will do except start the truck.This way when you leave it in the ignition you're worry free about someone stealing your toad if its left alone and you forgot to take the key out.
No issues with doing that but in some cases if the key is cycled on, there will be a PATS theft event and the vehicle will be disabled for 20 min.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #105

There was one or more threads discussing the older F150's - 2011 and older (I've searched but cannot find them). There was/is a software mod from Ford that will also allow these older (or some of them) to find a "N" in 4x4 mode.

Anyone know where these threads are or know any details about this mod?
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #106
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
Tow it forward on the way going and backwards on the way home. Should even out eventually.
I finally remembered to check the Odometer this last trip. Didn't register nary a kilometer.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #107

Monaco Owners Club
I also tow a 2013 F150 4X4 and noticed in the owners manual that while in the tow mode and if the battery runs down the transmission can be damaged, I installed a charge line as a safety measure.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #108

Regarding flat towing F-150 4x4, I was told by a Ford Service Advisor that the reason my front tires were wearing badly on the inside tread and needed to be replaced at 28000 miles was because the newer trucks have electronic powering steering that does not allow the wheels to return to zero when making turns while being towed.
NoSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #109

Newmar Owners Club
Our truck wears front tires while towing. I suspect it is due to the wheels being hard to turn while towing. However, the truck tows well and tracks well. From my experience, nearly all vehicles with power steering will wear front tires excessively while towing. The F150 may wear the front tires more than most.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #110

My 2006 F-150 never used up tires like this and I towed it a lot more miles a year with my Harley in the back. The truck tows great but the tires should wear better than they did.
NoSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #111

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricere View Post
Our truck wears front tires while towing. I suspect it is due to the wheels being hard to turn while towing. However, the truck tows well and tracks well. From my experience, nearly all vehicles with power steering will wear front tires excessively while towing. The F150 may wear the front tires more than most.
We drive ours more than tow, but original tires had 54000 drive miles and 15000 tow miles on them and showed no abnormal wear problems. Rotated every service interval. Do be mindful of an "Advance trac" problem that many are having issues with, but that is discussed on another forum particular to the F150 and not knowing if I can list it here. PM for details if you would like.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #112

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSlack View Post
My 2006 F-150 never used up tires like this and I towed it a lot more miles a year with my Harley in the back. The truck tows great but the tires should wear better than they did.
What brand of tires came on your truck? Mine came with Goodyear Wrangler Radials. Seems all 4 are wearing out way too soon. They are wearing out smoothly and evenly, but quicker than I think they should.

Tags
ford