Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

Ford F150 or 2500HD

First off I currently have a Toad and really don't ever want to change it but I know its not the best for Dinghy towing. It's a 2005 Ram 3500 Quad Cab Dually 4x4, weighs just over 7000# and its super easy to hook up and go as its manual tranny and manual transfer case. I feel in the long run it will be best to replace it but I will still require a truck to tow my offshore fishing boat. My 2018 Newmar Mountain Aire with the 500hp pulls my current toad without an issue or any real change in fuel mileage either.

Needs to tow 23' Farallon Offshore fishing boat. The boat/trailer/fuel and gear puts the boat/trailer weight just over 10k lbs.

I know the big differences between the gas/diesel as a long time diesel guy and whatever way I go in the future it will most likely be a daily driver for me.

F150 - Pros = lighter, comfort, shorter length slightly less $$$
Cons = May tow my boat but can is stop it?

weighs around 5k #

GMC 2500HD - Pros = will tow and stop my boat, comfortable
Cons = length and weight

weighs just over 7k # as stated on website would be just slightly heavier than my dually.

Those with experience with either as a toad please give me your insight or opinions. Keep in mind any Crew Cab with short or standard bed are over the 65' length for Cal and I'm aware of that. Just taking my chances and have to drive safe and slow to not bring attention to myself.
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 07:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How good are the brakes on the trailer? The extra weight of the GMC will certainly help, but the amount of rubber on the ground is not much more. A lot will depend on the speeds you are driving. Depending on the launch ramp, you may need a 4x4.
I could pull and launch a 1200 LB 28 ft with a F150, but I was only 3 miles to the launch and 30 mph speed, flat ground. For over the road I used an F750 with a 25900 GVWR, dually, 5 speed with 2 speed axle.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #3

This may be a really good spot for an F250 gasser which should save you ~800lbs on that weight. A prudent shopper could probably get a pretty good deal on such a truck this time of year (especially if you're not overly picky about color or options) as some poor dealer is faced with getting stuck with one as the new models are coming in soonish.

10k would be a little heavy for my F150 but not all F150s are created equal.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I went from a F150 to a GMC HD2500. I need a little heavier truck to pull my boat and cattle trailers. Could tell that it was a little more pull on the MH, but it was very little difference. You shouldn’t have any problems pulling it with your Newmar. I was never happy pulling with the F 150, but I would have went with a F 250 if they were towable.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #5

Don’t even consider towing 10k with a 1/2 ton. There are many reasons, however the quick/short answer is don’t do it.

99% of 1/2 ton trucks are not “rated” for that much anyway. The few that are? It still isn’t a good idea.

3/4 ton or more is what you need.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:18 PM   #6

Pay attention to rim size, tire size, strength of tire. Have seen F450's running 22.5 rims. That gives a much bigger braking surface area on a single tire.

Enough about power, it is all about handling, with weight. And great brakes.

The days of the dully are done, , the tires caught up to the rears, on good rims.

The math works.

Ford is taking "Semi" tech and down streaming it, to the F- Series. Just look at the wheel wells on superduty, they are designed to take a 22.5 tire.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:54 PM   #7

I also tow a Ram dually from when I had the 5th wheel. When I need to replace it will be a Ram 3500 single wheel. I have other trailers to tow (boat,dump and flat bed) as well so a 1/2 ton would not be a consideration.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I currently have a Toad and really don't ever want to change it but I know its not the best for Dinghy towing.
Why do you say it is "not the best"? If you like the truck and it's doing what you want, why change it? You need a serious truck to pull that boat, and other than the SRW vs dually, that 2500HD isn't going to be a lot smaller or lighter truck.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Why do you say it is "not the best"? If you like the truck and it's doing what you want, why change it? You need a serious truck to pull that boat, and other than the SRW vs dually, that 2500HD isn't going to be a lot smaller or lighter truck.
I agree Gary 100%, the 6 tires is the biggest and its overall length. As it is now I'm close to 68' and California is 65' and I'm ready to unhook or take the ticket if every stopped. I agree with everyones response on the 1/2 ton and the weight of the 3/4 tons are actually heavier than my 05 Ram. I'm not immediately planning on switching it out just looking at options and to keep us to a 2 vehicle household that requires a tow vehicle its tough to find toads we both are willing to deal with as daily drivers. Maybe in the near future the length laws will change and Manufacturers will build more vehicle 4 down towable.
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

You can get an SRW truck to address the 6-tire thing, but anything capable of pulling that boat trailer probably is NOT going to be 3+ feet shorter than the Ram 3500. A 2500HD with double-cab and standard (not long) box is still a bit of over 19 ft and I bet the Ram is no more than 21. You would probably need a regular cab standard bed to get the length down where you would prefer it to be.

What about a Tahoe XL or Expedition? The Tahoe XL is about 18.5 ft long.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford