Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #1

Ford Focus

We are kinda shopping for a car to tow 4 down , with auto trans . We both really like the late model focus , but there's a well known transmission issue, in fact the 3 I've driven all have the same issue . There's a recall on it , but it sounds like Ford hasn't fully resolved the issue .
Anyone here have a positive experience with this issue ?
We might have to consider Chevy Sonic , but we both like the Focus .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2015 Focus Hatchback and have towed it 4 down for about 10K miles. No problems with the Focus or its tranny and it is a breeze to tow. We have an extended warranty on the car and with Fords additional coverage, I dont even think about it. good luck.
kmbx2ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:05 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
The most positive thing about the issues is that Ford is great about doing my repairs under warranty and has extended the warranty for both the clutch pack and the TCM to 100K miles I think it was. All the automatic transmission problems are unrelated to towing 4 down. The clutch problems are made worse by high heat plus stop and go driving. Ford has tried to improve the design and the clutch materials multiple times but may not have it solved yet. The TCM problem is much less frequent. I don't know if the '15 and '16 models have had the problems but the '12-'14 did.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #4

I think we're going to take a pass on those .
Old 11-13-2016, 07:22 PM   #5

We tow a HHR (auto) with great success
Old 11-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #6

It's on my short list thanks
Old 11-14-2016, 05:14 AM   #7

'14 Ford Fiesta SE certified Used - 55,000+ miles towed and no problems - I initially installed a battery cutoff switch on the battery for long trips, but other than that no other requirements - just put it in neutral and go!

: )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
The most positive thing about the issues is that Ford is great about doing my repairs under warranty and has extended the warranty for both the clutch pack and the TCM to 100K miles I think it was. All the automatic transmission problems are unrelated to towing 4 down. The clutch problems are made worse by high heat plus stop and go driving. Ford has tried to improve the design and the clutch materials multiple times but may not have it solved yet. The TCM problem is much less frequent. I don't know if the '15 and '16 models have had the problems but the '12-'14 did.
I have a '16 and at 10k miles I started to experience the slipping and shuddering (I presume these are the problem referenced above?)
Have an appointment scheduled to have it looked at. Mine is still intermittent but now that you mention the heat issue I will try and see if that is a trigger for it.
Other than that I really like the car. Very fun to drive.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi, we have a 2012, with 47,000 miles. Great tow car and very peppy to drive. No problems.
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford