Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #15

Since I have the 2011 I didn't need the TSB as the manual had the details including the diagrams of the stick and the two bars for towing. I talked to the service manager first and he called in one of the service writers and we made sure we were all on the same page. Then the day they were to lower the level (no charge) I drove it for about an hour to make sure it was hot and then went into the dealer. The Service Writer was waiting and he got the mechanic and explained what had to be done. Painful to say the least as the mechanic didn't believe it should be lowered (how could that be a good thing was likely his thought). Anyway, it was lowered and the service writer and I had to check it a half dozen times since it was very difficult to read the stick when the fluid is new and so clear. We finally concluded that the mechanic lowered it to the top line. After 3000 miles of towing so far so good. But one always has that nagging feeling that something could happen and interrupt a trip and that is a negative.

Don
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I have had no problems with my transmission. I don't know why. My oil level is at the absolute minimum level. I have towed mine 12-15,000 miles and no problem but I also tow with the nagging feeling that it may go at any minute. I did tow the other day in ambient temps (95*) that I haven't towed in before and did see a rise in the transmission temp to levels I haven't seen before while towing but only to 170*.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #17

Lyle, I'm thinking of putting a ScanGauge in our Escape so I can quickly see the fluid temp whenever we stop.

Don
Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
A scan gauge would give you an accurate measurement but it still leaves you wondering between stops. I have to admit I just JB welded a remote barbeque probe to the side of my transmission. Took it for a drive and found that the temp was only 1* different than my infared temp gun. So far I haven't been able to get a reading sitting in the motor home but I may just run another wire into the back of the motor home and put the transmitter inside. I also tried to convince DW to ride in the closet at the back.. Do you know how well that worked?? Actually what I just thought of is that I'll see if I can convince the Ford dealer to connect a scan gauge and go for a drive to see how much difference there is between the scan gauge and barbeque temp. I did notice that on the highway the temp dropped a few degrees. Don't know if that was the cool air effect or the trans temp did actually reduce. Could be either. I may need to insulate my probe. In any case if I can get it to work and do establish some kind of baseline I will be able to monitor it all the time and if for any reason the temp starts to increase I can check it out. It also will be interesting to see what effects the trans temp. Speed, ambient temp etc.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have done the ScanGauge checking and found no appreciable differences in temps while driving or towing my Escape. Agree it would be nice to have something to monitor real time while towing but for now, I'm comfortable with periodic checks when I stop.

As an aside, I have done a lot of reading on various Ford forums lately and it appears this particular transmission is a big problem even not being flat towed. Perhaps it is just the transmission and not towing that is the culprit and those of us without problems just got lucky with ours or we may have a problem in the future. At any rate, hopefully if it happens to me it will still be warranted.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #20

The fact that the temps when driving and towing are about the same surprised me as there is no torque going through when towing.

I've been following the transmissions whoas on the Ford Forums as well. The impression I got was that the improvements made in 2010 solved the problem - but that is not how it is looking from the towing aspect. I'm aware of 2 2011's burning out but I have a feeling neither had the fluid adjustment made.

With my infrared temperature gauge I get 160 to 170 degrees for the transmission housing when towing.

Don
Old 09-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
The scan gauge would be accurate but I've never had temps while towing as high as when I'm driving. I take the temp at the torque converter area (beside the starter) midway down the case on the drivers side and just above the LH axle shaft. While towing the temps are much the same. While driving the torque converter area is by far the hottest, far hotter than anything I get towing. The scan gauge is measuring the oil temp at one point in the circuit, what I'm doing is measuring different locations which would be hotter than others depending on where the oil flow it is in it's circuit. I assume from the converter it is at it's hottest before going to the cooler and back to the sump. Towing, it's not being circulated or run through the torque converter
Old 09-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did some more ScanGauge monitoring on a trip to Indiana today. Highest temp registered was in the 160's after 4 hours towing with a couple short stops on the way. For comparison, my motorhome registered in the 170 range while traveling which is what I normally see. I have seen fluid temps as high as 227 on the Escape during in town stop and go driving but normal operating temp is 180 - 200 degrees. Ambient temp today was 60. Guess I would have to agree......driving seems to heat the fluid more than towing. Will continue to monitor as we are ultimately headed to Kentucky before heading home.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #23

2007FordEscapeHybridTowing
Is there an adjustment we can make to transmission fluid to this model year Escape? We are the ones who burned out set of brakes in 2009 when towing. So we eliminated the air hose set up on the Baystar Class A 30 ft (Newmar). Next trip from CA to ARK and Ohio we had transmission trouble(power steering go out) but quick fix with turn off car and then turn back on. Went to dealer inOhio but they didn't fix. Towed back to Ca and it's fine. We don't tow. This trouble never happened when we towed for short 300 mile trips to Death Valley, etc with the Itaska Spirit Class C 26 feet. Now we WOULD tow the Escape with diesel AllegroRED 2010 but we would not use the air hose. Brakemaster system. Husband wants to go to RVi brake system. We are waiting to hear back from our local Ford dealer with an answer also. Thank you!
OpiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OpiesMom - I do know the 07 Escape Hybrid is towable but I do not know if the requirement to lower the tranny fluid level is applicable to that year and model. Check your owner's manual under "Recreational Towing" and that may tell you if you need to adjust the level.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
There is No requirement to lower the transmission fluid on the 2005-2009 HYBRID Escapes... they used a different transmission than the NON-Hybrids

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #26

The query on the 5 minute running and shifting is now into the mill at Ford and hopefully I'll get a definitive reply soon.

I made it clear that if we have to run through the gears for the full five minutes "tell us that is the case and we will do it." If not, also let us know so we don't have to sit in an awkward position with BB installed and foot on the brake half falling out of the car trying to shift through the gears.

I'll post the reply - provided I get one. The problem as I see it is going to be for Ford to get the people responsible for the operators manual and TSB's on the same page.

As I noted in another thread, I (well, my son) installed a ScanGauge2 in the Escape on Sunday. Have yet to be able to get the temp over 166. Yet, the TSB says it has to be 185+ to properly set the fluid level. That makes me wonder how many "thought" it was lowered properly while in fact it was not. When mine was lowered a year ago I drove around for an hour before they took fluid out - highway time and street time with the transmission shifting up and down. We've towed 3,000 miles so far.

First towing with the ability to check the ScanGauge will be next week. I'm going to be very curious and will stop and check the temp after an hour or so. I had to borrow my son's ScanGauge since mine would have to be sent back to the factory to be reprogrammed for transmission fluid temp. Also, the Ford codes supplied with his ScanGauge did not work and he searched the web and found others posted that did work. What codes did you fellows use?

Coolant temp on the other hand ran up quickly and was around 207. I thought that was a bit high - what you fellows found?

Don
Old 10-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shadow - As stated above, recently took a 1000 mile round trip to Kentucky and back with my ScanGauge hooked up in the Escape. With stops every hour or two, highest TFT recorded was in the 160's but it was normally in the 140's. Not particularly warm outside during the trip, 50's and 60's. I have seen a reading as high as the 220's during stop and go driving around town.

As far as the code used for TFT, I used the codes listed in their X-gauge instructions.

Are you asking about fluid temps while towing or driving? If driving, 207 is NOT at all high, if towing I would think it is high.

Interested to see what you get from Ford on the 5 minute debate.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
Shadow - As stated above, recently took a 1000 mile round trip to Kentucky and back with my ScanGauge hooked up in the Escape. With stops every hour or two, highest TFT recorded was in the 160's but it was normally in the 140's. Not particularly warm outside during the trip, 50's and 60's. I have seen a reading as high as the 220's during stop and go driving around town.

As far as the code used for TFT, I used the codes listed in their X-gauge instructions.

Are you asking about fluid temps while towing or driving? If driving, 207 is NOT at all high, if towing I would think it is high.

Interested to see what you get from Ford on the 5 minute debate.
I'm at the dealer now with the Escape for 6 month service. Had the Flex serviced here this morning.

It is 50 deg outside now with lots of rain. Trip here is about 13 miles and TFT only reached 136deg. Coolant temp was 209. When towing that should be low and depend on ambient temp. The service mgr just headed out to the shop to remind the mechanic of my warning - "don't add transmission fluid under a penalty of death". I've read of owners who had fluid lowered and then during service a keener seeing it low added fluid.

Don

Tags
ford, towing