Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #43

I had the NTK installed on my 2005 4x4 explorer early this year. worked well the first several trips - but the last two short trips (3 hours) - the toad battery has died. I just returned from a quick trip and after charging the battery and starting the car - the tranny will not engage. Anyone had the dead battery issue - or of bigger concern - unable to engage the tranny (assuming I still have a functional one...) Appreciate any advice...
Gary95630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary95630:
I had the NTK installed on my 2005 4x4 explorer early this year. worked well the first several trips - but the last two short trips (3 hours) - the toad battery has died. I just returned from a quick trip and after charging the battery and starting the car - the tranny will not engage. Anyone had the dead battery issue - or of bigger concern - unable to engage the tranny (assuming I still have a functional one...) Appreciate any advice...
Welcome to IRV2. I have the NTK on my EXP. I would disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to let everything re-set, reconnect the battery and try again. If you let the battery run down, the NTK fails to work (at least the instructions with the NTK warn not to let the battery discharge).
Old 11-10-2008, 03:19 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
We have the NTK installed on our 2007 Explorer. Since the installation problems were solved, it has worked perfectly. I have noticed, even when the key is switched to the aux position, some of the items like radio, headlamps (in the auto position), dash lights, etc will stay on. I just try and remember to turn the lights to off position manually as well as the radio and other items.

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #46

Thanks for the responses. I let the explr sit for 24 hours, then went through the normal NTK sequence - then the disengage sequence - and once again had a tranny!!!!
Now I just need to deal with the dead battery issue - I checked to make sure everything (lights, stereo, dvd, fans, AC, etc.)were all off before heading home so I'm not sure what's drawing down the battery. Thanks again for the quick responses.
Gary95630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #47

We are new at this and just had a Blue Ox towbar put on, we have a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT Push button 4W drive, we want to tow it behind our rv with all 4 wheels down,can this be done and how, will the neutral tow kit work? Also heard that you can tow with the truck running as long as it is in neutral, would this damage the transmission.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #48
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Welcome to iRV2.

I don't believe your Ranger is towable without modification.

Contact REMCO TOWING. They are the the towing experts.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #49

I believe Dirk is correct. In my research the 4x4 Ranger is only towable from 2005 on and requires the neutral tow kit. I tow a 2008 Ranger with the seven foot box, so as to be able to take Harley with at times. I have been very happy with the Ranger. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #50

Thank you,what about letting the vehicle run as you toll it?
Old 11-15-2008, 04:15 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
I was concerned about draining the dingy battery on long trips. I'm not sure how long I could tow before starting the dingy to recharge the battery so I bought a dingy battery charger from RVupgradestore. it's a little pricey but it has some safeguards to protect coach wiring and prevent overcharging of dingy battery.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:07 AM   #52

Update for those with 07-10 Explorers/Sport Tracs. The kits are still available, the dealership has to order them. The V8s include a neutral micro switch to be installed on the shifter on the 6 speed tranmissions. This 'grounds' the signal wire to the 4X4 module telling it that the trans is in neutral. The 4X4 module has to be programmed using the 'IGS' system (NGS system is obsolete) to 'enable' the Neutral tow feature whether it is a V6 or V8.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does anyone know if the odometer will sill turn when the NTK it activated? My 03 Sport Trac is at the dealer now because the system appears to be working (LED on dash works as it should), but the trans is still spinning. I've already burned up one trans and did damage to the second one because the system is apparently not doing its job. I've never heard anything when I activate it, other than a click in the dash when the light turns on. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-05-2017, 05:18 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETLT View Post
Does anyone know if the odometer will sill turn when the NTK it activated? My 03 Sport Trac is at the dealer now because the system appears to be working (LED on dash works as it should), but the trans is still spinning. I've already burned up one trans and did damage to the second one because the system is apparently not doing its job. I've never heard anything when I activate it, other than a click in the dash when the light turns on. Thanks for your help!
It should not - Has the dealer verified that the programming has been done in the 4X4 module?

With your earlier 4X4 only the LED lamp and the programming is needed. On my 07 V8 Sport Trac the light flashes once with the ign in ACC and the trans in N as a bulb check. Then you put your foot on the brake and push the 4X4 Auto button. The light flashes two or three times, I hear a click and light comes on solid. Transfer case is in Neutral.

A motor underneath on the transfer case switches it over - its possible that isn't doing the work, or the 4X4 module is acting up.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #55

Your odometer should not turn.

I have a 2003 Explorer Sport Trac with Neutral Tow. The "kit" is only 2 items - a program change to the TCM (Transmission Control Module) and an LED.

The program change is straight forward, the neutral tow option is already written in the program code by Ford and only needs to be enabled. Enabling this option commands the Transfer Case Shift Motor to go to a special neutral position, (mechanically between 4H and 4L on a Borg Warner Transfer Case like you have). You should hear a relay in the TCM click and maybe the shift motor move positions.

The TCM Neutral Tow Option code is written for the LED to blink when the option is initiated and turn on solid when feedback from the shift motor shows it has reached neutral position.

My guess is that your tranfer case is not really in neutral. I say this because I had a bad shift motor and as long as the transfer case was not in neutral, it would spin the transmission when the wheels turned. I verified this by removing it from the transfer case - (3) 10mm screws. I then took a wrench and moved the transfer case shift arm to neutral. The truck rolled easily and the transmission did not spin.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote