Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2022, 03:45 PM   #71

Raptor Suspension

On a Ford Raptor Gen 2. The Electronic Fox racing shocks are active only when ignition power is on. (At least that is my understanding). What happens when you tow? Do you have shocks?

When I walk into my garage, my Raptor is sitting in a very "stiff" shock position. As soon as I turn over the key (yes key, Raptors do not have ignition buttons) the whole truck kind of settles downward.

I love this truck, but to give you an idea of it's electronic complexity, count the circuits. Around 200. Back in the day Ford had fuse #1 (always the horn) and added as needed. I guess we have advanced our "needs." must be some good, but a little more simpler vehicles that can be towed?
irtmks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2022, 03:54 PM   #72

Sorry, didn't read all 6 pages but heard from an owner of a brand new 2022 Jeep Wrangler. Rear wheels locked while towing and tires caught fire. Lots of possible explanations here but beginning to wonder about the electric parking brake on the newer vehicles--think its one reason why GM has you disconnect the battery to tow their vehicles--but just guessing....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:23 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Insurance is required in most States.
I was talking about comprehensive insurance.
You guys are talking about liability insurance.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat 213cid V6TT / 10speed / 3:55's
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:28 AM   #74

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Sorry, didn't read all 6 pages but heard from an owner of a brand new 2022 Jeep Wrangler. Rear wheels locked while towing and tires caught fire. Lots of possible explanations here but beginning to wonder about the electric parking brake on the newer vehicles--think its one reason why GM has you disconnect the battery to tow their vehicles--but just guessing....

Wranglers don't have electric parking brakes.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #75
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I'm not aware of any state that has any requirement to carry collision or comprehensive insurance on any vehicle.

Many who have paid cash for their vehicles elect to not carry full coverage. All that is required to drive on the road in most states is liability insurance so I'm not sure why you would make a statement like ". . . you have no business being on the road . . ." when it's perfectly legal to do so.

Of course if you finance, the finance company will usually require full coverage.
I appearantly wasn’t clear. Yes I understand full Ins isn’t required all the time. My comment was a general statement, assuming most know they need some form of Ins. Whether it be full coverage or just the liability. Just assumed everyone followed along. My bad
US1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:29 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
I appearantly wasnít clear. Yes I understand full Ins isnít required all the time. My comment was a general statement, assuming most know they need some form of Ins. Whether it be full coverage or just the liability. Just assumed everyone followed along. My bad
Your explanations have been good; no heartburn from me about that. It does give me a chance, however, to extend some thoughts!

The misunderstandings of most folks about insurance are Legion.

Insurance to cover YOUR property against financial loss is there for YOUR protection and benefit. This includes collision and comprehensive. Most of the time there will be a deductible (sometimes called "co-insurance") that will typically run in the $500-$1000 range. It can be $0 and it can be larger; that's a negotiation between the Company and the Insured. From the Company's point of view very low deductibles are not desired as they create a "moral risk" that an insured could destroy their own property to collect the insurance on it. In personal insurance such losses are not common; in commercial insurance they are.

Insurance to cover the losses of others who are injured by your conduct is there for the protection of the public as primary goal, and to protect your financial estate as a secondary goal. The common good is not enhanced when people are forced into bankruptcy. When I have a vehicle that is no longer worth the cost of collision/comprehensive coverage I still maintain a generous liability coverage. MY primary point of view is to protect MYSELF from serious financial loss in the event of a mishap. That does not mean I don't worry about potential victims of my erroneous conduct, only that such is a secondary concern. You may judge my moral and ethical standards appropriately!

The actual dollar amounts in any circumstance reflect a series of compromises between cost and risk. Since insurance is risk sharing and risk shifting there is a cost to the insured. If you are a high net worth individual you will likely have a different insurance profile that a person of lower net worth. More premium buys more protection.

One more thought on insurance: if the Company pays a loss then they are "subrogated", meaning that they can "move into your shoes" and sue the person who they believe is responsible for the loss. They can't sue their own insured as no one can sue themselves! (Actually, it's been tried from time to time but I don't of any time it actually worked.) They can, however, sue others and you, as the insured, have a contractual duty to assist them in the prosecution of the claim.

Regarding manufacturer Product Liability, that's a different, and very expensive world. And a subject for another day.

As always, read you policy and KNOW what you do and don't have.

Hoss
Hoss Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:26 PM   #77
YC1

The strange thing here in Florida that I do not understand.

As any driver, insurance is required which I totally agree with and have never been without in my life since 16.

Since I have insurance on two other vehicles I assumed I had "coverage" for the vehicle I did not want to carry (whatever would cover its loss). That is, I personally was covered so did not need to insure that vehicle.

That is not the case here in Florida as it was in the state I moved from.
A registered vehicle must have its own insurance for whatever reason. You cannot drive a registered vehicle that does not have some insurance on it. Very strange.

Hope I'm clear on this. It was a shocking thing find having a vehicle that is legally registered that I was illegal without insurance for it.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:06 PM   #78

Only 2 sites don't require "car" insurance. There are all kinds of variations on what is required or can substitute so it pays to investigate when moving.

https://www.thebalance.com/states-wi...ements-4121731
Old 05-09-2022, 08:45 PM   #79

I tow a Ford Escape hybrid. Today something went wrong with the brake system and charge line. The Escape battery was dead to the point I couldnít open the doors. I towed it a few miles then check temps on transmission 40 degree day and Highest temp I found was 70. After boosting the battery back to life the escape was still in tow mode via the dash computer.

Just Sharing my experience in case it helps.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:10 AM   #80

What went "wrong" with the brake system?
I assume you got in to the car with the manual key.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:21 AM   #81

I have the brake buddy stealth. My best guess is a loose connection at the flat plug. I did find a pebble in it. But it doesnít all make sense to me. The unit notifies me with an error code in the rv if it loses the charge line. But not an alarm. So how knows how long it take to notice it. The toad battery is 45 amp so it doesnít take much for it to die. I should have upgrade to the 70 amp AGM. I set up a Bluetooth monitor to check the voltage on the toad. But I have to be out of the rv to get a signal. I wish I had a voltage meter in the rv dash to always see the toad voltage.

Tags
fire, ford, tow